Help with new headunit install!!!

This is a discussion on Help with new headunit install!!! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys, I just got a new kenwood headunit, and i went to install it today, spliced the wires from ...

Help with new headunit install!!!

Hey guys, I just got a new kenwood headunit, and i went to install it today, spliced the wires from the one wiring harness to the next, plugged everything in, and then when i turned the key i heard a little "shock" noise if you will and now my clock isnt lit up, my dome lights wont work, my alarm doesnt work. The dash lights up, but the stock headunit wont turn on.

I am really confused on what could be wrong? I am guessing a blown fuse, but have the slightest idea on where to look for one.

SOOO . . . if someone could point me in the right direction as in problems and how to solve them that would be awesome!

Thanks guys!
    2004 Silver WRX
    HKS UpPipe
    HKS DownPipe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You're probably on the right track with the blown fuse idea. Your fuses should be behind a small door/compartment to the left and below the steering column (at least there's where they are on my 05).

I would check the fuses, then go back and double check all your wiring. Make sure the wiring matches up with what the new headunit (red=power, black=ground, etc.). Good luck.
    --Ben
    2005 WRX Cobb Stage 1

A common wiring mistake with head units is hooking up the POWER lead to the CLOCK/HOT lead. The POWER lead should be a thicker gauge wire, but it isn't always. Different manufacturers use different color wires, so even if you hooked the same colors to eachother, you might have mixed up the wiring.

Your new radio's wiring might required a yellow lead to splice to a red lead in the Suby wiring harness. This is just an example of course.

Often times the clock circuit is the hot lead that the radio uses to keep the circuits "warm" to remember your radio presets and other data that gets stored in the unit. This circuit is probably on a small fuse. Something like 3A. If the power lead for the radio is hooked up to the clock hot lead, the head unit will try to pull too much juice and blow the clock's fuse.

So in short, double check the wiring schematic for the radio and don't trust that the new harness will pair to the Suby's harness based on color.
    Last edited by Darrell; 11-14-2004 at 02:58 PM.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Follow Darrel's advice, and replace the fuse.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

why didnt you just but one of those plug in wire harness things... what are they like $17 bucks.

Who sells those? Radio manufacturer?
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I do. And their $15 shipped. Plugs directly into your factory harness, and then you solder or crimp the harness from the radio to matching wires.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

A month late, but...

...I ran into this problem yesterday.

First check your wires (no point in replacing fuses if there is a short).

Now check the fuse. In my 05 RS the clock/radio/dash fuse is actually located in the engine bay fuse bay; not the internal one.

Add in new 15A (double check yours obviously) fuse and hey presto. Hope this may help others; I assume that you've sorted it by now.

Linz