Just found good sounding settings for factory sub
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just found good sounding settings for factory sub within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; FYI- We all know the factory sub sounds real muddy and generally bad. I have the premium sound system and ...

Just found good sounding settings for factory sub

FYI-

We all know the factory sub sounds real muddy and generally bad. I have the premium sound system and just replaced the head unit with my alpine 7875. I found the best settings for the system to be as follows:

Head unit settings (comparable to most aftermarket HU adjustments)

peak bass at 90hz, +1

peak treble at 17.5khz, +1

High pass @ 80hz

______

Subwoofer settings (turn knobs on unit under passenger seat)

gain 1/3 up (clockwise)

high pass as far down as it will go (counterclockwise)

this is what sounded the best for me.... having a premium head unit really helps out, hopefully I will be getting some new speakers soon when i get more $$$, thinking about some MB Quarts.

Hope this helps some people out

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks!
    I adjusted my sub too. Excuse me but what is "high pass" and why turn it all the way down? I turned that knob back and forth and didn't notice much of a difference. I heard a big difference with the gain though. WOW! It sounds pretty fair now.

It seems to me that the gain was up way too high from the factory for the amount of power that sub produces so it would almost always distort. I meant to say low pass not high pass. That is a crossover adjustment meaning the lower you turn it the lower the frequency is that gets output through the sub. From the factory it was so high that even vocals were noticable through the sub, this creates a "boomy" effect. By turning it down you are only allowing the lowest sounds to go through the sub (about 200HZ and below when fully turned down).

High pass is avaliable on some head units to allow all sound above a certain level to be blocked, low pass is on sub amps to block all sound above a certain level... just to clarify

sorry its late.... high pass blocks sound below a certain level..... ive confused you now im sure

I got it. Thanks!

Having the gain only up to 1/3 was a little lite for me. I turned it up 3/4 and the high pass all the way down. What a difference. I didn't look to see what it was set at when I started, but the gain must have been all the way down.

I have seen posts regarding the Infinity Basslink 10" sub. It appears to be an "under seat" unit like ours. Is it compatible with our wiring harness? Would it be worth buying if I didn't need an over the top sound system. I see two sets of connections on it.There are quite a few on Ebay for $150 and up.

> I don't know how that would work... It depends if the harness has
    > speaker level or preamp level power on it and what is required by the
    > other sub.... if you have an aftermarket head unit I would highly
    > recommend using the preamp output. It is also very probable you would
    > have to run a new circuit to the battery because the one going to the
    > existing sub can't handle much power. You are probably better off to
    > put a regular sub in the trunk with all the standard wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by billdouglas
    FYI-

We all know the factory sub sounds real muddy and generally bad. I have the premium sound system and just replaced the head unit with my alpine 7875. I found the best settings for the system to be as follows:

Head unit settings (comparable to most aftermarket HU adjustments)

peak bass at 90hz, +1

peak treble at 17.5khz, +1

High pass @ 80hz

______

Subwoofer settings (turn knobs on unit under passenger seat)

gain 1/3 up (clockwise)

high pass as far down as it will go (counterclockwise)

this is what sounded the best for me.... having a premium head unit really helps out, hopefully I will be getting some new speakers soon when i get more $$$, thinking about some MB Quarts.

Hope this helps some people out
    Good info man...I've been messin' with mine for the longest time trying to get it to sound decent without distorting after volume level 12 or 13. Seems to be handling better now. Those little knobs are a pain. Is there a secret to turning them easier?

a small screwdriver seems to work well

I reset mine on the OEM headunit like this..

Set the treble to +5
    Set the bass to 0

Turned the crossover point down.
    Adjusted sub volume till it sounded balanced.

Now my door speakers don't spend too much time trying to make bass, and sound cleaner. And I let the sub fill in the bottom.

No, you will never get 'great' sound out of it. But it's small and light and out of the way. And it isn't likely to get ripped off

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.