High-pitched feedback noice through speakers

This is a discussion on High-pitched feedback noice through speakers within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Yesterday I installed an in-dash 10-band equalizer. After installation (which only required connecting power and ground wires, plus unplugging and ...

High-pitched feedback noice through speakers

Yesterday I installed an in-dash 10-band equalizer. After installation (which only required connecting power and ground wires, plus unplugging and plugging a few RCAs) I can hear feedback through my interior speakers. I only hear the feedback when the car is running, and only when my equalizer is turned on. I don't hear any feedback through my subwoofer, but it's not run through the equalizer, just directly from the head unit. I'm positive installation was good; I just rechecked today. Also, the feedback pitch gets higher as engine RPM gets higher. With the music at decent volume, the noise is drowned out, but I still would prefer it not be there. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Try chokes on the RCA connections and/or check star grounding. Cars would be a terrific environment IMO for XLR connections, but few makers actually take car audio seriously (again IMO).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    A poor ground, or touching RCA's will most likely be the culprit. Try running power and ground directly to the battery, using the same gauge wire for each. If that doesn't take care of it, check the rest of your install, hopefully RCA and power are on opposite sides of the car.....Let me know what happens.

Claudiu Ene
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Connections are all solid, RCAs and power wires are on opposite sides of the car. I'm not running power directly to the battery for the equalizer (I am for other electronics), rather I'm running power/ground into the wires in my the harness for my Alpine head unit, but that really shouldn't make a difference should it?

Also, interesting observation: the squeeling in the speakers goes away when I hit the "defeat" button on the equalizer.
    Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Try chokes on the RCA connections and/or check star grounding. Cars would be a terrific environment IMO for XLR connections, but few makers actually take car audio seriously (again IMO).
    What are chokes for RCA connections?

By star grounding do you just mean upgraded grounding? I set up a 5 point (4- and 8-gauge) grounding mod under the hood directly from the batter negative to the chassis.
    Brandon

somewhere you're picking up engine noise. you can use higher quality cables or take it to a car stereo shop or electronics shop and have them diagnose it. they can be really tricky to track down, but is usually has something to do with the power wires or signal wires. the output wires usually wouldn't pick it up because you'd be able to track it to a specific speaker. i'd try high quality shielded braided wires to help cut noise, or turn up the source volume ane adjust the amps to compensate output. if you're using a weak signal voltage it has a low signal to noise ratio, and can easily pick up interference and hissing (white noise). a higher signal voltage (most decks use <2V signals, high end decks use >/=4V signals, meaning better clarity and less susceptibility to interference.

then again, ive picked up engine noise from using cheap components.
    Dave
    01 RS

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The first NO NO of car audio has already been broken. Run a separate power and ground for the EQ to the battery. Then try again. After that, it's time for gain adjustments.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

ughhhh time to run more wires from the batt into the car lol.

Thanks for all the help
    Brandon