Powering aftermarket component speakers

This is a discussion on Powering aftermarket component speakers within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just installed a new pair of Infinity Reference 6000cscomponent speakers in the front of my WRX. These speakers sound ...

Powering aftermarket component speakers

I just installed a new pair of Infinity Reference 6000cscomponent speakers in the front of my WRX. These speakers sound AWESOME! Right now im running an old 2-channel amp to power them, a Kenwood with 100 watts RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms.

Here's what I'm wondering: The woofer component of the Infinity system can take 90 watts RMS, but the tweeter is labled as being capable of 50 watts RMS. So, what kind of wattage should I feed my speakers to get maximum potential out of them? I'm thinking I should get a 2-channel amp that puts of decent wattage for these front speakers, and then I'll get a separate 2-channel amp that put out slightly less power for the rear speakers, which are going to be a set of Infinity Reference 5000cs components.

Any ideas or recommendations would be great.

Thanks
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    How much do you want to spend???
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    How much do you want to spend???
    I love car audio guys, that is their favorite question (not bashing I <3 my Kenwood!)
    Love, Peace, and Grease...
    -BlueSix

Disregarding how much I want to spend, what kind of power should I run to reach full potential of the components? And how does the power get split up to each component, 50/50? If so, then I'm limited to the RMS capability of the tweater (right?), which is 50 watts, yet the woofer can take 90.

Thanks.
    Brandon

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    So I take it you wish to bi-amp your components, running a separate channel to every speaker, meaning tweet and mid get separate channels, or do you wish to split between front and rear?? If front to rear, then you stick with the RMS of the woofer, as their x-overs have resistors built into them, lowering the amount of power that's going to the tweeters.100 watts, rms would be ideal per channel for the front, rears will depend on the speaker. You always want to give the speaker more power than it needs. I've never seen people destroying a speaker from too much power (except in competition), but not enough, at which point most amps will distort or pass DC to the speaker cooking the voice coil.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Thank you.

No, I don't want to amp each individual component, just give each set of components its own channel. But it seems like if I stick to the power rating of the woofer, that power will be divided up between each component and all of it won't actually be powering the woofer. So, because the components are wired in parallel out of the crossover, should I add the RMS ratings together and feed each set 140w RMS (50w for tweater + 90w for woofer)? Is the crossover set up to only allow 50w RMS get to the tweater (leaving the leftover 90w to power the woofer)? If so, I didn't know that was possible.

Also, a question about amplifiers: I have a few-years-old Kenwood KAC-729S amp (600w max, 100w x 2 @ 4 ohms). This is currently running my speakers. Would upgrading produce better sound quality? Also, is it better to use a 4-channel amp, or is it ok to use two 2-channel amps (I have two of the Kenwoods I mentioned above)? Will it throw the sound off slightly between the fronts and rears? Again, this is disregarding money and focusing on achieving maximum potential of sound quality.

Thanks very much!
    Brandon

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Yes, but upgrading means truly upgrading. I know so many will scream and call for a lynching when I say this, but except for the Alpine F1, no alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony or old Rockford will impress me, or you at that. Kinda like just adding an STi turbo. Yeah, they're better than stock, but not exactly breathtaking. Good amps cost good money. Expect amps to be THE most expensive item next to your speakers, unless you've got a multimeida headunit. True upgrades, the equivalent of a 20G, FP green or a PE 1820 would be ..... Soundstream Van Gogh's, Hifonics (not the Zeus, but Generation line), Arc Audio, Zapco, MMATS, NEW Rockford amps, or the high end Kicker line (KX or SX I'll have to check). Be prepared to lay down between $400 - $800 for these amps, but you'll definately hear a difference... and never go back to mainstream brands.

How about MTX? And what do you look for in an amp, high S/N ratio and THD?

Would an upgraded amp on a sub make a big difference, too (I run an MTX Thunder502, 500w RMS)?

Thanks for the great info
    Brandon

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I don't mean to knock on big chains, but in regards to amps, if you can buy it at Circuit City, Best Buy or Walmart, it's not very high end.

You look for S/N and THD as well as RMS output at low voltage. You often want to hear them first or know what they sound like. For example, Zapco has very crips highs, less midbass. ARC is a very warm sounding amp, a lot of mid, soft highs.

New Rockfords, eh? Even though their S/Ns are really low, like 80dB?

WOW: the Soundstream Van Gogh series is awesome! >115dB s/n and <0.02% THD!

It's very hard because many amps looks very good on paper, but apparantly they aren't that good afterall.
    Last edited by hamz01; 10-28-2004 at 04:50 PM.
    Brandon

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    That's exactly the case with RF amps. They are extremely underrated.