Pioneer or Alpine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pioneer or Alpine within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Narrowed down my head unit choices to these two (unless u gotta better idea): Pioneer DEH-P860MP 0 Alpine 9835 0 ...

VR4

Pioneer or Alpine

Narrowed down my head unit choices to these two (unless u gotta better idea):

Pioneer DEH-P860MP $330
    Alpine 9835 $300

I'm gonna hook this up to two fosgate 12 hx2's with a power 1000bd amp. Plus I got a fosgate 550 4 channel amp for the inside speakers, which I haven't chosen yet. I want this head unit to have clean sound more than anything, I know I have seen the Alpine name at SQ competitions more than pioneer, but the 860 has got some really good #'s such as 6.5v pre-outs. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Would choose alpine over pioneer any day. Very clean sound and powerful hu's. You really don't need 6.5v pre outs IMO.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I disagree. The higher voltage out you've got, the less an amp has to work. It's like running C16 or 101 octane instead of 87. Yeah the radio, or rather your amps will work with anything from 0.5 - 6.5, but will sound and perform a lot better with a stronger input. Most active EQ's and X-overs raise RMS voltage to over 10 volts. To choose the cleaner one, compare their spec sheets in regards to THD. Signal to noise ratio's, and Voltage out.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

i like alpine

Quote Originally Posted by XxScoobYxX
    i like alpine

I must agree..........
    vendeta2k
    Accessport + COBB SF Intake = BEST MOD EVAR!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by XxScoobYxX
    i like alpine
    +1
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

just put an Alpine in last week...

no personal experience yet...but i'll have my alpine HU next week
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

cnk
    Alpine all the way. I just don't like the feel and SQ of the Pioneer units. Something about Pioneer doesn't make me feel as though they're a higher end unit either. For me, when I think of Pioneer, I group it with brands like Sony, Panasonic, and Aiwa.

Calvin

I have owned both, and I like both. Go to a store and listen to the ones you want on a good set of speakers. Let your ears do the talking.
    James

"Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, if he doesn't like what you have to say, it'll be OK because you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes."

I'm still more partial to Pioneer. I agree with EJ20Fan about pre-out voltage.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I think you're doing yourself an injustice by not considering, or at least looking, at the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X979. I can get you a really great deal on that, or the Pioneer. The Alpine is a very nice headunit too, but you should go for the 9835. It's less than $100 more, and worth every penny.

That's if you jump on the bandwagon and buy an Alpine. Don't get me wrong, I like Alpine, but like Infinity Speakers, I, as a vendor, cannot understand the hype. It's great product, but there's better... for less. Either way, whichever you choose, check THD, Signal-Noise ratios, and Pre-out Voltage... and don't forget about warranties. Premier and Excelon give you 2 years of support. Alpine does not.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

VR4
    so do you guys think the alpine will have cleaner sound?

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Compared to the Pioneer, I'm almost willing to bet money that the Alpine will sound better. In regards to the Kenwood, I've got to hand my vote to the 979.

i like alpine and have alpine for the performance, durability, and functionality. alpine has some clean power from its internal amp and its preouts. you could bleed your ears listening to that stuff on max, if you got a good set of speakers that dont distort. i still have my alpine cassette player from 1995 and it still keeps on playing great. I know other alpines that endure some punishment and still on jammin. the quick search on the alpine is mp3s best friend. searching for your favorite mp3 in a mix of 200 or so is a breeze with that function. HOWEVER, pioneer is also a great headunit. they have a fancier display, which is no concern for me, and loads of preout voltage, which again is whatever u take it as. i know a buddy that won a SQ competition with a pioneer premier headunit. they have great sq and performance. they are also cheaper than alpine if u compare comparable models. they're mp3 format is also awesome. like WRX-games said, just try out both decks and see which one u like best. in the end....just get a qwestar or jensen haha seriously NEVER get those POS'es
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast