XM antenna mounting questions

This is a discussion on XM antenna mounting questions within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; anyone in here done an XM radio antenna mount on an WRX Sedan? I was wondering if any of yall ...

XM antenna mounting questions

anyone in here done an XM radio antenna mount on an WRX Sedan?

I was wondering if any of yall could give me a hand.

I just purchased the roadie by delphi and was waiting to find a good clean way to hook up the antenna.

thanks for your help. pics would be GREAT!
    Like drinking poison. Like eating glass.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

drop it under the clock... thats what I did Can't get any cleaner than that

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    That's cheating!!!!

You want it exposed, with a clear line of sight to the sky. On the dash is a good place, next to the a-pillars in the corner. I'll post pics soon.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

meh comes in fine.. I don't think a piece of plastic and a layer of glass makes much of a difference

How much was it? I think I'm gonna get one soon... You have to subscribe right?

yeah, you have to be a subscriber. I like the dropped in under the clock idea. I have it wired in my trunk but not outside the car yet (its just sitting loose) and i get poop reception.

I'm going to try the rear deck under the rear windshield.

If that's not 100% perfect i'm going to go to my friend Tommy (a professional stereo installer at Xtreme Sounds in Bonham Texas) and get him to hook it up nicely. I need to have the power hardwired anyway since I NEED my valentine one to be there for me

yeah man i got my Sirius antenna mounted on my rear deck and get perfect reception. i dont know about how the XM reception is under the rear window but it should be ok. all they need is a clear line of sight, but u can put it inside the dash. just make sure u dont have any metal on top or covering the antenna, which the WRX is ok with. but the best place is still on the outside of your car, if u dont want the black antenna to mess wit your color scheme, just tell your buddy to paint it to match your car
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy04wrx
    yeah man i got my Sirius antenna mounted on my rear deck and get perfect reception. i dont know about how the XM reception is under the rear window but it should be ok. all they need is a clear line of sight, but u can put it inside the dash. just make sure u dont have any metal on top or covering the antenna, which the WRX is ok with. but the best place is still on the outside of your car, if u dont want the black antenna to mess wit your color scheme, just tell your buddy to paint it to match your car
    for some reason it's not so hot under my rear window (granted it's not secured down or anything.

I think that maybe my limo tinting in the back has something to do with it.

(tinting is a necessity in TX when you park outside all day in 100+ degree weather and then humidity )

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Some tint has metal flakes/particles in it to prevent it from deteriorating or changing color. This is the case with more expensive tints such as Solar Guard, Johnson's etc... The metal interferes with Satelite antenna's, cell-phone kits, and other such devices. On the dash in the front is fine. When covered... well that's a different story. I can, for example, put my hand over the antenna and thereby cause it to loose reception. Same thing happens when you've got storm clouds or other atmospheric conditions.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    Some tint has metal flakes/particles in it to prevent it from deteriorating or changing color. This is the case with more expensive tints such as Solar Guard, Johnson's etc... The metal interferes with Satelite antenna's, cell-phone kits, and other such devices. On the dash in the front is fine. When covered... well that's a different story. I can, for example, put my hand over the antenna and thereby cause it to loose reception. Same thing happens when you've got storm clouds or other atmospheric conditions.
    sooo...how would I go about mounting it inside the clock enclosure?

where would I run the wires through?

I wish there were more pics of a good XM setup in the wrx with a stock headunit (i know it sucks but it is all I can afford right now)