Aftermarket Subwoofer...Yes, I'm a N00B to this..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Subwoofer...Yes, I'm a N00B to this.. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Howdy gents, I was thinking about adding a subwoofer to my stock stereo's setup, just to jazz it up a ...

Question Aftermarket Subwoofer...Yes, I'm a N00B to this..

Howdy gents,

I was thinking about adding a subwoofer to my stock stereo's setup, just to jazz it up a little, if you will

Two quick questions for a newb...

1) Where can I get access to hook up the stock head-unit to the subwoofer? I'm thinking about getting an Infiniti basslink. I guess the logical question after this would be, can the stock head-unit hook up to an Infiniti basslink?

2) Suggestions for where to mount it? Driver's side trunk?

Thanks for the help,

slim...
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (AP Stage 2)
    Midnight Black, weathered and beaten thanks to the wonderful citizens of Philadelphia, PA

2005 Honda S2000
    Silverstone Metallic Exterior, Red/Black Interior, a shifter made in heaven

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1) take your car to a car stereo place, buy wiring and let them install your sub (might do it for free if u buy the Basslink from them). they have to pop out ur dash, and ur running boards, etc. dont do it yourself.

1a) yes basslink will work, not that powerful, but itll work for cheap

2) I have a 12" Alpine Type R sub in my trunk in a Qlogic box w/ a 325watt MTX amp (ill get a more powerful Alpine amp someday) mounted to the drivers side rear seat back.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    If you're set on the bass link, all you need is a little speaker wire, and tap into any of the existing speaker outputs on the radio. The Basslink has a Hi-level/speaker level input, meaning you don't need RCA's, and comes with all required hardware for installation.

If you decide you want some better bass, check this out

Stealth enclosure thread

Claudiu
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    they have to pop out ur dash, and ur running boards, etc. dont do it yourself.
    Why not do him self?

I'm thinking of doing this, with the Rockford High Low Level adapter I just got.

Is there an FAQ anywhere, that I haven't found yet?

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    It's definately a DIY project. If you need a kit and instructions, hit me up. I was selling Amp kits really cheap, no one asked or even responded, so I haven't offered them since. Anyway, if you want parts or advice, let me know.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

if you trust your craftmenship and ability to delicately take the dash out and boards then i guess its DIY. personally, id prefere it to look like a professional job, and so that everythign looks stock, and not just running wires under the floormats and having scratches on the dash when u try to pry it open (IMHO)
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

i don't think you have to pry it open, all you should need is a screwdriver to undo the screws then gently pull it out.

not to put down your basslink, but i've heard they aren't one of the better options out there. i would recommend paying the little extra money for a nice amp and separate sub with the right enclosure. IMHO it will sound MUCH MUCH better than any amp/sub-in-one kit.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

Do it yourself and save the money. The plastic on the dash covering the stock head unit snaps off easily and all that is holding the unit in place are 6 screws I think and then it slides right out. Then all that you need is a wiring diagram to know where to splice into. I just hooked my sub and amp up last month.

Quote Originally Posted by jcar2a
    Do it yourself and save the money. The plastic on the dash covering the stock head unit snaps off easily and all that is holding the unit in place are 6 screws I think and then it slides right out. Then all that you need is a wiring diagram to know where to splice into. I just hooked my sub and amp up last month.
    Thats what I figured.
    Anyone have the wiring diagram handy? Or is in my handydandy Owners manual?

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Do you have a high-low converter already, and just need the color scheme for the speaker outputs??

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    Do you have a high-low converter already, and just need the color scheme for the speaker outputs??
    Yep, I've got a Fosgate one, and all the other wires I need. Just need to know what colors to hook them too

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Here are the wire codes/color ID's for the 05

Radio 12v blue/red + radio harness
    Radio Ground black - radio harness
    Radio Ignition yellow/green + radio harness
    Radio Illumination purple + radio harness
    Factory Amp Turn-on N/A
    Power Antenna white + radio harness
    LF Speaker +/- brown/white - green +,- radio harness
    RF Speaker +/- red/yellow - white/black +,- radio harness
    LR Speaker +/- white/red - red/black +,- radio harness
    RR Speaker +/- blue/yellow - red/white +,- radio harness

Right on thanks!

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    You're very welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.

Claudiu

So how would you wire a remote turn-on for the amp (so it turns on and off with the ignition/radio) with this setup?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast