system in a wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on system in a wrx within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; i wanna put a nice sounding system in a wrx when i get one this spring/summer. i am looking at ...

system in a wrx

i wanna put a nice sounding system in a wrx when i get one this spring/summer. i am looking at the 10w7s by JL audio. would want 2 of those. i know you can hook it up to a stock radio but will it affect the quality of subs alot? i will also be running a equlaizer so idk. Also... what amp should i run, i only wanna run 1 amp. its a 3ohm single voice coil sub. i was told to get a 1000/1 jl audio amp . but thats alot of cash there for 2 subs and that amp.
    Thanks
    Derek

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

pm ej20fan (i think its spelled right) knows alot of good stuff.

Hey i appreciate the response. I actually changed my mind. gonna get PPI dsx 104 subs and a 2000 mono lanzar amp and a par 650 eq.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX1522
    Hey i appreciate the response. I actually changed my mind. gonna get PPI dsx 104 subs and a 2000 mono lanzar amp and a par 650 eq.
    Please tell me that's because you're getting them for free !!!
    The only decent unit you picked is the EQ . The reason I say this is because Lanzar hasn't manufactured anything worth laying $$$ down for, for almost 10 years. I know one of the guys that started the Company(Gary Kovener, who now owns Kove and Hart Audio).... so trust me when I tell you this.

PPI on the other hand, gave up all patents and rights to their products a few years back when it was bought by the Microsoft of car Audio....DEI (directed electronics)...which also acquired Orion, Clifford, and ADS. The last piece of equipment that was really good from PPI was the PC series amp, and their PAR-245 which we've used at our shop to win finals first finishes at IASCA. PPI was never great at making speakers. You've got to remember that different companies are good at making different things. For example, you wouldn't go to BMW to buy a bicyicle, even though they do sell bikes, true. PPI made great electronics, not speakers, so stick to electronic components.

If you like the PPI stuff, look at the Soundstream Van Gogh series. Soundstream was able to purchase the rights of the PPI PC amps, and use those boards to make the current Van Gogh line.

The EQ is great. I've tried it. Very nice, but you'll likely need a power filter and run a separate ground to eliminate "Engine Noise".

The subs....well I already answered that. It just appears that someone or something influenced you to buy these items, other than research. If you already have it, well then make the best you can out of it. It won't be bad, only that you could've gotten better, that's all. If you haven't purchased them yet... or gotten them for free...search around. Start a thread like this one. You'll be surprised at how much some of these board members know.
    Last edited by ej20fan; 10-19-2004 at 02:45 AM.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Alright well....i will have 1300-1500 i wanna spend on 2 10s a amp and a equlizer. give me the best ****. thanks.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Here's what I would recommend. Headunit would be Kenwood KDC-8025MP, Front components would be Focal 165A's or MB Quart RCE 216's, Rears are DKE 110, Hifonics Z8000 5 Channel amp, Alpine Type R 10" woffers (2 of them), and the PAR-245. All for $1350, including shipping, handling, all warranties and the peace of mind from having a really good system.

Without the EQ, $1200 shipped.

Let me know what you think.

-Claudiu Ene
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Alright well....i will have 1300-1500 i wanna spend on 2 10s a amp and a equlizer. give me the best ****. thanks.
    As far as subs, what turned you off to the JL's that you were thinking about before. A set of 2 JL 10w6v2 and 2 JL 500/1 amps (or 1 JL 1000/1) should run you about 1300. Those are some of the best subs around.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

ej20fan, I dont really wanan get rid of the stock head unit. and for now the speakers will be fine. i just want loud clear bass.
    JL audio does sound good but ppl have been teeling me for that kind of money there is better. i was looking at Orion H2s and 2 PG octane R 1500watt amps. Iv heard nothing but good on the PG amps and couple things good on the H2s but idk same comapy as PPI. Tell me ur thoughts. Thanks again

I Support ClubWRX
    PG makes nice amps as well.

Have fun hooking up all that hardware to the stock headunit. If you really want it to sound good, do it right, now.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    ej20fan, I dont really wanan get rid of the stock head unit. and for now the speakers will be fine. i just want loud clear bass.
    JL audio does sound good but ppl have been teeling me for that kind of money there is better. i was looking at Orion H2s and 2 PG octane R 1500watt amps. Iv heard nothing but good on the PG amps and couple things good on the H2s but idk same comapy as PPI. Tell me ur thoughts. Thanks again
    How loud do you want. Also, half the stuff you listed requires a custom enclosure in order to maximize sound. I can cut you a great deal on a combo, but need some more info. Tell me what you've heard in person, what you liked or didn't, and then we can find something that's right for you and your budget.

Iv herad PPI Dcx seies and it sounds awsome. not as loud as orion h2s but alot more SQ. I was also told by couple freinds and well known local shops in my area that the Lanzar opti 500x2 is a GREAT amp to power 2 of the ppi scx series. and i know i need a custom enclosure. I am making it out of 3/4ing mdf. already have design drawn up. once i decide on what sub i get im gonna start making it.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    How about this. 2 Rockford Fosgate T1 12" woffers, 1 Soundstream Tarantula 880/2, and I'll send you the spec's for a tuned vented box that should give you Alzheimers because of how hard it hits. $1,250 shipped.

Always have hated rockford. Im pretty sure im getting the PPIs and a 2000watt amp. Thanks.

Registered User Dragon{WRX}mage's Avatar
    i hate to hyjack a thread , but . I've been seeing mb quarts being brought up alot here . Just how good are the mb quart component systems????? and with a mounting depth of 2 1/2 and 2 1/4 will they fit our doors . or would i have to do some light modding to the doors??

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    PM'd you with a price. Let me know what you think.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.