how do you use your ipod in your car?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on how do you use your ipod in your car? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I am looking at the tape adapter, and the wireless and wired FM modulators. Just curious which one will be ...

how do you use your ipod in your car?

I am looking at the tape adapter, and the wireless and wired FM modulators. Just curious which one will be best or easiest, or what people have had good results with?
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have 3: cassette tape adaptor, the I-trip, and the DLO car mount/charger/FM transmitter.

cassette (cheapest): sounds great all the time, but looks ghetto and the wires get in the way. I never use it. Does not deal w/ mounting the ipod.

I-trip ($30). Very portable, but you get static sometimes even when the ipod is held sideways and does not deal w/ mounting. Great gizmo to travel with in case youever have the need to broadcast through ANY radio anywhere. I hate the beeps that get saved as music on the pod tho...in shuffle mode, you get lousy beeps all the time.

DLO mount ($100): it's a car mount, it's a recharger, and transmitter. This is the one I always use. Sounds great, but ti does look waaay too "apple". It's bulky and white, but it's great to be able to see and switch the fm frequency on the fly.

good luck.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I went all Belkin. The Tunedock sits in the cupholder, the the Auto kit charger/adapter plugs in to the bottom of the iPod (there's even a hook on the Tunedock to keep the cord tidy). The Auto kit has a line out port to plug in the Tunecast FM transmitter or a cassette adapter. I have the original Tunecast but I'm considering switching to a cassette adapter because: 1)although I haven't experienced any breakthrough while it's on, I can hear that there are quite strong signals on the available channels. The TunecastII will get over this problem, but is expensive; 2) Tunecast does go through batteries, always at the most inconvenient times. Especially when you forget to turn it off at night!

I have the tunecast II, its terrible. Constant static and if there's a slight signal for the radio station you're using, find another one. The only way I can sometimes get rid of the static is by holding it so my body becomes an antenna. Don't buy it

I Support ClubWRX
    I hardwired my dell dj through my headunit. I have a wire that i hide in my ashtray that plugs right in. Nothing better than a direct link!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

The iPod remote fits perfectly in the switch blanks on the center console, I have mine mounted right by the mirror controls.

My JVC deck has an aux in, so I got a 2.5mm -> RCA conversion, wired that up... ran the wires under the console. Then I got a balkin charger, hid the wires under the console, and I keep the iPod in my lower armrest pocket... I'll go take some pics for you...
    MTWRX (Pearce)
    02' SRP Sedan 5spd
    Latest Pic of My Wrx

so the tape option wouldn't be a bad idea if I am not an audiofile and I don't care about the wires getting in the way?
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    yes
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

it won't sound great but it will sound pretty good right? especially if I still have the stock stereo?
    4EAT, wrb, wrx

everywhere!!!
    i only live for 1 thing and that is to spend money.

just get a new head unit. any reciever with external cd changer controls will work. you can get line-in adapters for the changer controls. it will sound much better and look clean.

I just picked up the Sony Network Walkman NW-HD1 (20gb), and i was wondering whats the easiest way to hook it up to a stock '05 WRX stereo?

Does the stock stereo have the in/outs necessary to do a direct link? Ill have to get my amp hooked up so the stereo will be popped out. any info guys? thanks.

EDIT: [rant] Don't Buy the Sony!
    its the biggest POS ever! first it deleted all of the mp3 files on my computer b/c i clicked to delete from the list, and instead, gone from my machine. nearly 1000mp3's LOST. so i did a system restore to get some back, that didnt work. so i bought and used a recover tool, got back like 600 songs. but some of the songs are eff'd up. but thats ok, i got em back. then u have to "authorize" the mp3 player, but the sony thinks my computer from before the restore is a DIFFERENT computer! so i had to call up sony, do all this crap, and use a restore tool on the sony sonicstage program. got that fixed, transferred music. the screen is too small, takes forever to scroll through, the headphones are ghetto (left ear is shorter (by a lot) than the right so it looks odd). THAN, yesterday morning i go to turn it on for my commute to work, and it wont turn on. just the backlight. all day it does this. so i went to the Sony Store, was like its broken, take it back. no i dont want a new one. give me $$$$. so they credited me my account for $376 (incld tax). [/rant]

Quick Read: World > Sony 20gb

im not sure if ill get an ipod, or what.
    Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 12-01-2004 at 07:15 AM.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Question Cassette Adaptor injuries??

Just joined-- have been looking into options to better connect my iPod with the stock '02 stereo. Hated the FM transmitters, have been a little more satisfied with the tape adaptor. Saw a post on another forum that said these adaptors wear the heads down in the tape player over time. Anyone heard of this? Plus, there is quite a bit of sound distortion through the tape player.... any suggestions? So far, I understand that the Cd changer has no direct input access in the back. So is my only other option to replace the unit altogether?
    Thanks for your patience!!

I've used a couple of tape adapters with my stock deck and both an iRiver mp3 player and my Treo 650. They were both pretty old - back from the days when cars mostly came with tape players. The first one I used distorted the sound somewhat. Then I found the second one and started using it, and it sounded great. Unfortunately, there recently has started to be some serious static/distortion when I try to use them. I'm pretty sure it's from my tape deck heads. I haven't tried cleaning them yet, but it may be true that those adapters aren't the best for them. Even so, I never used it for anything else anyways.

I have the pioneer AVIC D1 with the Ipod interface. the chord goes throught the back of the dash and in the glove box. You dont even know that there is an ipod in there! I hate those tapes and the itrip picks up too much static, especially in the NYC/Metro region. Not to mention it sucks the battery out of the ipod in like an hour.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.