Satellite Radio
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Satellite Radio within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; after searching through past posts on this subject i still have a few questions. I am thinking about getting a ...

Question Satellite Radio

after searching through past posts on this subject i still have a few questions.

I am thinking about getting a portable satellite reciever, so i can bring it in the house to listen to football games. All i am still unclear about FM modulator, past posts have said that it broadcasts on the lower end of the FM band so you tune your car stereo to it. others have said that it plugs into your AUX inputs in your headunit (which would eliminate the stock stereo)

biggest question is if anyone knows HOW the portable satellite recievers work with car stereo's because if it does retransmit the signal for your radio to tune up, the sound quality cannot be that great, and i dont know if it would be worth it.

second is that how many of you who have satellite radio who did you go with ? Sirius or XM, the previous thread on this was a couple years old and there are new members who have it im sure.

thanks
    www.kiowapilots.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get Sirius...Stern is coming and Alt Nation 120 is awesome. I got the Orbiter kit from Radio Shack. Dont worry about the home setup. Sirius allows you to listen over the internet if you are a subscriber.

If you want football, then get Sirius.

The FM modulator works by tuning your local radio into a FM frequency desginated by the unit. No direct connection needed. But these units also have the option of connecting directly to aa head unit/radio.
    www.awdpirates.net

seriously get sirius. the programing is extremely better than xm. i listen to both xm and sirius (just sirius now) for more than six hours a day, so i can say the songs and programs that xm plays CANNOT compare to sirius'. There is ALWAYS a song that i and co-workers wanna listen to on sirius. BYW, please pronounce sirius the correct way, just like serious. not "syras"
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

how is the sound quality from the FM modulator?
    www.kiowapilots.com

the fm mod sounds as good as the best fm station that u can get. i do notice a HUGE diference when i switch over to the cd tho

Being a big Stern fan, I'm also interested in Sirius. What kind of antenna do you have to wire into your car and what is a good mounting spot for the headunit (pictures anyone?!). I must say I like the idea of being able to listen to all the stations via the Internet if you are a subscriber. I sit at a computer all day!

i mounted my audiovox PNP2 (i know...its big and orange) in the spot in front of the cigarette lighter. its a little recessed, which helps out. you can also put it in the glove department if u want a to. for those with older model imprezas, check out www.pro-fit-intl.com. they have vehicle specific mounts for your car. which can be mounted to the right of the stereo.

We have Sirrius in our truck.. built into Dodge factory stereo made for a very clean install I'd have it in my WRX if the man portable units didn't look like crap.

I'm not sure the FM tuner has been used in the truck since the Sirrius got hooked up about a year and a half ago. Good stuff, always able to find fun stuff to listen too

I've got XM in my Grand Am, and I'm thinking about putting it in my Rex.

But is Sirius really better?

I've never had a problem finding something to listen too, Even when switching between the 3 Music channels I've got preset. Then CNN, Comidy, and Traffic on the other three.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Sirius is the shizzle. I sell both XM and Sirius, yet have Sirius in my car. I've tried and sold XM only to people I don't call my friend.

If you're using a stock HU, no worries in regards to the FM tuner. If you purchase an Aftermarket HU, you should buy one that either has an AUX, or a direct Satelite radio plug-in that corresponds to your service, if you're already a subsrciber.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    Sirius is the shizzle. I sell both XM and Sirius, yet have Sirius in my car. I've tried and sold XM only to people I don't call my friend.

If you're using a stock HU, no worries in regards to the FM tuner. If you purchase an Aftermarket HU, you should buy one that either has an AUX, or a direct Satelite radio plug-in that corresponds to your service, if you're already a subsrciber.
    Everyone that I talk to about audio stuff love Sirius instead of XM. The satellite arrangement makes a huge difference in listening.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    Hmmm... my aftermarket HU says it is XM ready. Is there anyway to convert that to Sirius ready?! My AUX hole already has my steering column mounted control unit stuck in it!

what kind of head unit do u have WRXWag? the only ones that i know that can be both xm or sirius compatiable are the 2004 alpine headunits. you would just need to get the tuner (xm or sirius) and the corresponding antenna. It hooks up to the Ai-net plug in the alpines. Alpines and the Ai-net are beautiful things.

I have a Sony MP3 super whizz bang model - I can't remember the model number other than CDX something!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.