XM Roady 2 install

This is a discussion on XM Roady 2 install within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Everything is hardwired. I loooove it more than a monkey loves a banana....

XM Roady 2 install

Everything is hardwired. I loooove it more than a monkey loves a banana.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XMinstall.jpg  
    www.awdpirates.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Roady 2 Install

Nice clean install man. I'm looking to get a Roady2 within the next month and will definitly do an install similar to yours. Just curious, where'd you run the wires to hardwire the unit and avoid using the cig lighter? Also, how's the quality with the FM transmitter?

Alex
    '03 WRX

FM transmitter is eh.

I have an Alpine headunit, so I got a connector that hooks up to the changer port on the HU and converts those to RCA cables. The RCA goes into a the jack on the Roady 2.

For power, I went to Radio Shack and got a female cigarette lighter adapter. I then wired it into the stock cigarette lighter behind the dash. Then I just plugged the Roady 2's ciggarette lighter into that, but its all behind the dash. Still full function of the cigarette lighter in the dash. The Roady 2 is a 6 volt unit, thats why the stock lighter attachment is needed...to lower the input voltage.
    www.awdpirates.net

I just got (today) the Roady 2 for use with the stock radio (FM modulator). Where did you end up placing the XM antenna? How do you recommend running the wire for it?

I initially tried inside on top of the dash (and you can imagine how that sounded). For now, I temporarily placed it on the back of the roof and let the wire hang through the interior to see how it sounds before I try to figure out how to hardwire it.

-Rich E.

Quote Originally Posted by RichE
    I just got (today) the Roady 2 for use with the stock radio (FM modulator). Where did you end up placing the XM antenna? How do you recommend running the wire for it?

I initially tried inside on top of the dash (and you can imagine how that sounded). For now, I temporarily placed it on the back of the roof and let the wire hang through the interior to see how it sounds before I try to figure out how to hardwire it.

-Rich E.
    I put it on the back of the roof. I have a wagon, so it comes inside the top of the hatch, through the top of the car, down the B pillar then to the dash.
    www.awdpirates.net