• Go for it! :thumbup

3 27.27%
  • Redesign

5 45.45%
  • Can't decide.

3 27.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Sub Box Concept within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; ha! ha! now that I look at it.. i know what you're talking about... yes, it's the impreza "i" I ...

ha! ha! now that I look at it.. i know what you're talking about...

yes, it's the impreza "i" I will try to do the full circle, too. I will have the full details/measurements of the box whenever I start making it.

I like to build my own custom box because of all the aftermarkets that I've seen, they're all too bulky and doesn't fit right under the trunk, and way too expensive.

for the skin, I will most likely use 'pleather' instead the traditional speaker box cloth.

this is for a sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by gusto
    is that a weiner or the impreza i?

try and do the full circle if its the impreza i

otherwise the concept is good and glad to see someone think before they actual start hacking away at wood.

is this for a sedan or wagon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

thanks man. not much here, too. school and work that's pretty much it.

nah. never took industrial design. i start with basic sub design then modify it from there, angles, height, color, etc. the reason i chose red is because red and black together looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chunks
    not much up in my life lately, heh.

anyway, the only change I would suggest would be maybe color? Maybe changing the red to something else. Anyway good luck, it looks pretty kickass.

Did you ever take an industrial design class or something? It looks pretty sharp.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm a little confused looking at your design. It seems like your trying to build a box for a single sub with 'wings'. Are you also going to put a port in the sub box (is that what the hole in the side is?). If that's the case, be careful with making random ports for sub boxes. They can make a good sub sound aweful. Good subs will come with directions for building boxes with proper ports... if your comes with that, follow it to the 'T'.

I don't know why you would use fiberglass for this... it's all flat, straight surfaces and trying to do that in fiberglass would be 10x the work for nothing. Do yourself a favor and use mdf. regardless of what you use, getting those patterns to look nice is gonna take a lot of work! Also, getting vinyl (i think you're actually refering to vinyl when you say pleather... i could be wrong though. I've never seen anyone use pleather in a car!) inside the design that you cut out is going to be a nightmare. If you do decide to give it a shot, i would suggest heat formable vinyl as it's easy to shape around corners and curves...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

the box is design to hold two (2) subs, one on each side - either 8"s or 10"s. the middle part is inclined back about 45 degrees be the surface where the amp is mounted flat.

yes, I will be using vinyl (black and red) most likely. I am more inclined to use MDF because I have experience boxes out of MDF - but I would like to learn how to use fiberglass, too.

there's not going to be a hole in that middle brace. it will have a 2" gap between the top piece and the brace though.

it's hard to visualize it if you're not actually looking at the box, but I have it all in my head

thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    I'm a little confused looking at your design. It seems like your trying to build a box for a single sub with 'wings'. Are you also going to put a port in the sub box (is that what the hole in the side is?). If that's the case, be careful with making random ports for sub boxes. They can make a good sub sound aweful. Good subs will come with directions for building boxes with proper ports... if your comes with that, follow it to the 'T'.

I don't know why you would use fiberglass for this... it's all flat, straight surfaces and trying to do that in fiberglass would be 10x the work for nothing. Do yourself a favor and use mdf. regardless of what you use, getting those patterns to look nice is gonna take a lot of work! Also, getting vinyl (i think you're actually refering to vinyl when you say pleather... i could be wrong though. I've never seen anyone use pleather in a car!) inside the design that you cut out is going to be a nightmare. If you do decide to give it a shot, i would suggest heat formable vinyl as it's easy to shape around corners and curves...

see if this makes more sense?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails box_det.jpg  

the inside brace
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails middle_fin.jpg  

i specifically designed the subs to point outwards, not inwards or straight.

I Support ClubWRX
    Now I see it!! hehe thanks for clearing that up...
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.