Dynamatting my car
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dynamatting my car within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey, I'm about to install my sub and amp, and want to put dynamate in my car. Well, it's not ...

Dynamatting my car

Hey, I'm about to install my sub and amp, and want to put dynamate in my car. Well, it's not exactly dynamat, but its the same stuff, just about 9283742390721095629437$ cheaper, and basically the same quality.
    I was wondering a few things:
    Where do I need to dynamat?
    How do i remove my door panels so i can dynamate behind them?

ur help is much appreciated. thanks
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

a good install is on nabisco

search for: CDT, Raammat, Ensolite install by Chewy-WRX

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I hate to tell you this, but on a WRX, you'll need very little dynamat. The only places that actually rattle are, the wing (fixed by tightening the bolts), License plate (simply use double sided foam tape), but apply inside the front doors to help your front components. No need to go too crazy, as WRX's have horrible acoustic properties to begin with. You can only improve, but never make great. Knowing this will save you much agony, pain and lost time trying to eliminate road noise. I used a door kit for my entire vehicle, and it sounds awesome, ....OK, so I lied, it sounds all right. Not nearly as good as my 99 GMC Jimmy, but still better than most.

I'm a Dynamat dealer. It should weigh heavily on anyone questioning the validity of this statement, as I should normally be trying to sell you my stuff, not persuade you to resist purchasing it.

True, Dynamat is necessary for any high end system. But there are some cars that are just not well suited for SQ or SPL High Performance systems, such as WRX/STi. I'm only telling you to be prudent, spend your money wisely on things that will make a noticeable impact.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Where would I buy some double-sided foam tape?
    I'm lookin for like 10' of it. Would Lowes have it?
    I guess I can just call up there tomorrow or something....too bad I can't drive now...I have a cast on :'( i miss driving soooooo much....i can't drive til next monday...

neways....where culd i get some of that tape?
    '03 Aspen white rex

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Home depot, Wal Mart, any major tool/equipment/hardware store.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Well I still used some dynamat behind the speakers, because I feel that you get a better seal, vs metal on metal.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    True, Dynamat is necessary for any high end system. But there are some cars that are just not well suited for SQ or SPL High Performance systems, such as WRX/STi. I'm only telling you to be prudent, spend your money wisely on things that will make a noticeable impact.
    I mostly agree with the above quote.. I just "damplified" my WRX - all 4 doors, the trunk, and some rubberized spray on the inside of the doors and in the trunk, and also underneath the rear seat. While there really isn't a HUGE difference, there is a definate lowering of road noise, which was my primary reason for doing it. The other interesting side effect was that bass was noticably increased - so much so that I had to actually turn down the bass on my headunit.

As far as is it worth doing? I think yes, so long as you don't expect to get huge differences and as long as you don't spend too much money doing it. The next part that I would think of doing (again, more to decrease outside/ ambient noise than anything else) would be to do the engine bay. But that's for another day

-C

SMR
    Just a couple thoughts-
    Would sufficient dynamatting reduce ambient/engine noise enough to be worth the weight tradeoff?
    How about the increased road noise incurred from larger wheels/smaller tires/coilovers?
    Am i becoming an old man for thinking about civilizing a car that produces a symphony of automotive sound

Discuss amongst yourselves.......
    Wow, just wow

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR
    Just a couple thoughts-
    Would sufficient dynamatting reduce ambient/engine noise enough to be worth the weight tradeoff?
    How about the increased road noise incurred from larger wheels/smaller tires/coilovers?
    Am i becoming an old man for thinking about civilizing a car that produces a symphony of automotive sound

Discuss amongst yourselves.......
    That's like asking what the meaning of life is, whether blondes are better than brunettes, Coke vs. Pepsi. How could you ever expect someone to answer that

The answer will be different. To some, yes, others, no. In the end, it's to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    That's like asking what the meaning of life is, whether blondes are better than brunettes, Coke vs. Pepsi. How could you ever expect someone to answer that

The answer will be different. To some, yes, others, no. In the end, it's to each his own.
    Lets take this in order:

Blonds are definately better than brunettes.

Coke beats Pepsi (although Pepsi One is much better than Diet Coke).

About 15lbs of Raamat with some closed cell foam (less than 0.5lb) will make a big difference in the quality and quantity of ambient noise that goes into the passenger compartment. By reducing vibrations in the door and body (Raamat) and absorbing other ambient sounds (closed cell foam), the engine sounds better, potholes are a thump rather than a clang, and the car sounds more like a BMW than a Hyundai.
    2002 WRX WRB

SMR
    See, now thats a concise answer- thanks rich
    Wow, just wow

Do your doors closing sound like...

a tin can dropping to the ground? If they do.. and I know they do! Dynamat (or equivalent (I guess)) can add some much needed substance to your car! Not everyone wants substance... but, if you've ever owned a european car, or a luxury car, and you miss the quietness of it... dynamat is the answer... I have dynamated my car to an extreme, and I used primarily dynamat extreme, but it has made incredible differences in the quality of both my audio and a huge decrease of road noise. I own a wagon, so I can't say anything about the acoustics of a sedan, but the first thing I did for my audio system install was to dynamat the trunk! In doing so Iliterally noticed bass increasing from the POS stcok PAPER speakers as I furthered my progress with the dynamat! I was weary of the claimed properties of Dynamat, but I was sold as the bass appeared out of nowhere from my stock speakers. For a average, run of the mill system... don't go overboard! But when you're system is on the higher end... Dynamating gives the clean smooth sound you are looking for, and produces amazing bass! Seriously! AMAZING BASS! Plus it helps keep your car warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer (if AC is on, obviously) because it not only stops sound transfers, but it also helps to minimize heat transfer, too! I SWEAR, I don't work for Dynamat, but I am A FIRM Believer of its capabilities! my 2 cents!
    ------------------------------------------
    -Sportwagon '02

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Personally, I object to such frivolous addition of sound deadner. Yes I used Dynamat in crucial areas, but I didn't buy my car so that I could weigh it down with Dynamat. If anything, I've removed some of the sound deadner that my car came with, especially in the trunk. The question is what your values are. Good sound NEEDS/REQUIRES dynamat, but also NEEDS/REQUIRES your car to be a good acoustical candidate (WRX's need not apply here). Excellent examples are European cars (not all) higher end luxury sedans, and unfortunately the ever dreaded SUV and station wagon. I'm not knocking on anyone....seriously, this is all in good fun and for the gander of this discussion.

Yes, your car can sound better, the decision is yours. Don't expect it to sound like your buddies S class, but it can and will sound better, even good, but with the side effect of added weight. In the end, after we've all passed the buck and filled the can with our 2 cents, the decision is yours, as everyone will likely take a different path. You know best what you want. But please don't tell me that you'll add Dynamat, only to go out, buy a set of headers, RFL BOV, a 3" turbo back exhaust, 18" rims with lo-pro tires that have contact patches the size of Oprah's Mumu, as such completely lays waste to any sound deadening you were going for.
    Last edited by ej20fan; 10-07-2004 at 01:39 AM.

SMR
    Very well put-
    Wow, just wow

hahahaha so true
    '03 Aspen white rex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.