Dynamatting my car - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dynamatting my car within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; #2...

Do your doors closing sound like...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails door after2.jpg  
    ------------------------------------------
    -Sportwagon '02

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do your doors closing sound like...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails door after3.jpg  
    -Sportwagon '02

Also... dynamatting round two has happened....

But, no pictures of it! Sorry! In round two, I dynamatted the floor (heavily around the raised section where the transmission raises up past the e-brake and back to above the rear diff), I also did the rear trunk lid, and under the rear seats!

What da ya think? OVERKILL! All of my friends think I'm a little nuts, but they do hear how much difference it made!

-Sportwagon '02

How much weight in dynamat did you add? I'd be interested but the dynamat that I've seen before (a while ago) was like lead.

Also how much difference did it make?

ClubWRX.net Vendor

I think you made their stock rise by a few points this morning. But this is exactly what I'd call proper use of dynamat. Most people NEVER go this wild, or extensive. You should check yourself for obsessive compulsive tendencies . Good job. I now know why you think it makes such a difference, sound-proofing your vehicle will have that effect.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

wow.....just...wow.......
    i thought me and my friend went crazy with putting 1/2" carpet padding in almost all places, and dynmat in addition to that.
    now i see the true meaning of crazy....
    f*ing amazing man!
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I've got you beat though. 1984 Civic, inside fenders, and every body panel, doors, floor, ceiling, trunk, deck, trunk lid, hood, bumper, and firewall. All in all about 2 weeks of labor, close to a 1,000 sqare feet of dynamat, 400 square feet of insulating carpet, 1 case of expanding foam, two cases of silicone, and about 150 sqare feet it sound barrier padding, along with some amazing sound equipment, and a few trophies to show off. IASCA had a new champ. In these kinds of scenarios, one cannot compete without Dynamat. I though you were just another guy that boughrt a kit and swore that it made his Daewoo as sound-proof as my boss's CL 600. My apologies.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

uh....ok well i'll just stop now.....
    '03 Aspen white rex

Thanks!

I definately have those obsesive compulsive tendencies ... but, in this case they paid off! After that dynamat session that you saw above is where I noticed "bass" coming from those paper things that subaru calls speakers??? Anyway, you might be able to see blood stains in various places on the dynamat. That dynamat extreme, which I prominently used in my car, is very sticky but also razor sharp on the edges. The fact that I did this install in the winter, with all of my doors closed, the car running and the heat cranked up! So, it brings a new meaning to putting my "blood, sweat and tears" into this dynamat install. You won't be able to see it, because it is covered by another layer of dynamat extreme, but there is original dynamat placed in some places. Alot of the kits come with a mixture of extreme and original dynamat. I'm not a big fan of the orignal stuff... It is harder to apply, and requires a heat gun! The only place I have just dynamat original is on the floors. I used it up because I had it, and then placed extreme along all of the edges, corners and other places where the original stuff would be next to impossible to apply. The extreme goes on so easily compared to the orignal stuff... and obviously it has much better sound and heat blocking properties than the original.

I've added about 85 square feet of dynamat at about a cost of 45 lbs, according to my calculations.
    -Sportwagon '02

jesus lord christ.... is it really worth the extra weight, and MONEY??
    i'm about to buy/install some focal 165As. I'm thinking of getting some "peel n seel" which is basically a non name brand form of dynamat. if i do end up doing this, i'm gunna go completely insane with it, buying however much i can get for the money i have leftover......whichll be like 80$. I think its somethin like $1.2/sq foot or somethin...
    i'm also gunna put some carpet padding under my stock carpet thatll reduce some road noise lol.
    Last edited by tracker7821; 10-13-2004 at 11:09 PM.
    '03 Aspen white rex

Quote Originally Posted by Rich10
    Lets take this in order:

Blonds are definately better than brunettes.

Coke beats Pepsi (although Pepsi One is much better than Diet Coke).

About 15lbs of Raamat with some closed cell foam (less than 0.5lb) will make a big difference in the quality and quantity of ambient noise that goes into the passenger compartment. By reducing vibrations in the door and body (Raamat) and absorbing other ambient sounds (closed cell foam), the engine sounds better, potholes are a thump rather than a clang, and the car sounds more like a BMW than a Hyundai.

got a few questions .... how many sq. feet is 15 lbs of raamat?
    what is closed cell foam...?? where do i get it? how much is the foam?
    how many sq. feet, and where shuld i put some dynamat?
    '03 Aspen white rex

Quote Originally Posted by tracker7821
    jesus lord christ.... is it really worth the extra weight, and MONEY??
    Consider this. Most people will slap down hundreds of dollars for headunits, amps, high powered co-axes or component setups . . .

With proper sound deadening, you can gain anywhere from 3db to 8db out of your existing soundsystem.

Our friend here went with what could be called a professional install, and if he added about 50 lbs, that sounds about right. But 1: its even weight distribution throughout the car (opposed to a box and sub and amp which typically are in the arse,) 2: it insulates the car thermally (i suppose amps can heat up a small area ;} ), 3: It insulates it from outside noise without any further setup (a subwoofer or fresh speakers could do that if you turn them up enough.)

Sound deadening is a great investment.

Hey I also noticed you used different dynamat in the speaker openings, is that orange stuff the 'extreme?' (I use B-quiet, so i dunno...)
    I hate my WRX's stock horn....

How much sq ft would I need for doing the floor, beneath the back seats, and A & B pillars?

what do ya'll think about elemental design's eDead?? I'm thinkin about getting the v1.SE w/e stuff....70 mills...
    how many sq. feet shuld i get? I want to go insane w/it......double layering like...everything...
    i've already put down some carpet padding, but i wanna redo it all, and put double layers of this eDead stuff everywhere, and then a layer of carpet padding on the ground, over the eDead.
    '03 Aspen white rex

Quote Originally Posted by tracker7821
    got a few questions .... how many sq. feet is 15 lbs of raamat?
    what is closed cell foam...?? where do i get it? how much is the foam?
    how many sq. feet, and where shuld i put some dynamat?
    I used about 1/2 of the 62 square foot package of raamat, so approximately 31 sq. feet.

The closed cell foam that I used is called Foam Sealer. I think that it is a sill plate insulation. I bought it at Home Depot and it sells in rolls that are approximately 18 inches wide. I know that some people used Ensolite and have been happy with the results.
    2002 WRX WRB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast