Dynamatting my car - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dynamatting my car within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Yes it doesn't make sense to add weight to your car if you are racing it, or are power thirsty, ...

I disagree, somewhat!

Yes it doesn't make sense to add weight to your car if you are racing it, or are power thirsty, or whatever... but I feel that with my car, and I have a wagon, the weight was not all bad! First off, where I disagree is that WRX's can't have accoustic potential! Maybe that is ture with sedans, but I think it doesn't apply to the wagon, too! I have put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into my stereo system... along with money, too! And, every person that has ever been in my car is amazed by how well it sounds accoustically, including myself! Granted, you are right... with stock sound deadening (if the few little flaps of material found stock could be considered sound deadening)... it would probably sound half as well! But, the open air set-up of the wagon has huge potential... and I truely believe that dynamating has an incredible potential to increase the clarity and overall sound of ANY system! I saw it first hand... I'll show you pictures of where my car is covered with dynamat... you might laugh though Also, with dynamat coverage... you lower the decibels outside of the car... I love having a system that blows people away on the inside, but is not very conspicuous to those around me!

But back to the benefits of weight... (sounds impossible)... I swear to you, my car handles 30-40% better adding the weight of A HEAVY ASS Sub and box, 2 amps, etc. over the rear axle! The weight probably, well definately slowed my car down a little, but not THAT much. I still dust fools! YEAH! Since it is over the rear wheels... my car has better balance and traction, compared to without that weight... I sh*T you not! I've tested it, too, just by taking the box out of my car, I loose that balance... and my car slides out more in the rear (which is fun sometime, too)....

Anyway, not to be the antagonist here... but I wanted to add 2 more of my cents... my total is now 4 cents!
    ------------------------------------------
    -Sportwagon '02

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh...

I just bought a 3 inch turbo back! Stealth back to go with my prodrive axle back! Are you mad at me??? I don't ever paln on getting a RFL BOV... those are ridiculous! And 18s... I don't think they'll work on my car... uhhhh.... ummmmm.... because.... uuuuuhhhh.... ahhhh... my car is too.... umm heavy in the back.... lol
    -Sportwagon '02

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I never disagreed with you. Check my post, you'll see that wagons are one of the exceptions, or rather well qualified candidates for good sound. I also don't think that Dynamat or any sound deadener is a poor investment, as its benefits are obvious and instant. The only beef I've got with it is that it works as a bandaid. It only works if you really go to town with it, meaning that a pretty significant amount has to be spent, upwards of $100 in order to experience any significant change in a WRX. Most I've come across are loud, fast, and SQ is not really a concern, but then again, there are those select few that cut against the grain, and go off on their own tangent, with sometimes impressive results. I don't mean to say that a WRX can't sound good, but that it's a poor platform. picture a honda Vs. WRX in performance, except that in regards to acoustic properties, the WRX loses. If you love this car, it won't stop you from achieving great results, but be prepared to work harder and with greater expense than others, as you're handicapped from the outset.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

cool!

I just wanted to add that... dynamatting the doors has a profound effect... and that doesn't require too much dynamat! Not only does it drastically cut down on road noise, but it also give that much needed "substance" to them. If your thinking about doing some dynamatting... do the doors! They will improve sound quality, road noise, and the overall feel of the car (no more tin can doors)! Other than that, yes it is a bandaid... I guess... but for an economy car that doesn't have factory sound deadening... Bandaids aren't too bad, when placed in the right spots!

Thanks!
    -Sportwagon '02

i've noticed some hot spots that I'll be attacking in my deadening:

fenders. Tires are noisey. Some more than others. bigger wheels/tires typically are more noisy.

ceiling. Thump it with your finger.

floor. the road is noisy for highway drivers.

firewall. Road noise, tire noise and engine noise can be dampened greatly here. . . .but i like how the engine sounds, so i wont be bothering with that.
    I hate my WRX's stock horn....

For the floor and the firewall, closed cell foam is more effective at blocking sound than sound deadening (dynamat, raamat, etc.) products.
    2002 WRX WRB

dynamatting - round one

dynamat shot #1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dyna1.jpg  
    -Sportwagon '02

more...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dyna2.jpg  
    -Sportwagon '02

more...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dyna3.jpg