Anyone fit a 2.5cube ported box in their trunk?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Anyone fit a 2.5cube ported box in their trunk? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Since my sub sucks in a sealed box, im gonna go ported, i was wondering if anyone has tried putting ...

Anyone fit a 2.5cube ported box in their trunk?

Since my sub sucks in a sealed box, im gonna go ported, i was wondering if anyone has tried putting a box this big in their trunk, and if they had any success doing it...

Right now, I am lookin at the followin specs:
    2.6cu ft gross volume, 2.4cu ft installed volume
    Tuned to something like 32Hz, 12x3" port, which gives me a total box size of 3.3cu ft (ouch)

It seems like it might fit, but its so close, that it might not make it in the trunk opening... (Lookin at 35"Wx14.5"Hx14.5"D)

Oh, sub is an RE XXX12 (www.reaudio.com)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    their site claims a 2.1 Cu ft. box, with corresponding port. If you can fax me the spec sheet, I'll run Bass Pro, and send you back a diagram and tuning freq/response for the proper enclosure. I also need the spec sheet from your amp.

Claudiu Ene
    Sales Manager, "Sound Waves" Van Nuys
    (818) 787-7167 - fax
    (818) 787-7166 - tel.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I dont have a 'spec sheet' for the sub, just what is on RE's website... I'll re-type it here to make it easier for you:

RE XXX12
    Fs: 27.0Hz
    Re: 1.9 DVC
    Qms: 4.52
    Qes: 0.44
    Qts: 0.40
    Sd (cm^2): 480
    Vas: 56.5 (they dont provide units, i assume liters?)
    Xmax: 32mm one-way
    BL: 17.1
    pRMS: 1600
    pPeak: 2500

Now, those specs are for a dual 2 ohm subwoofer. Mine however, is a dual 4 ohm sub, which i have wired in parallel, which ohms out to 1.8-1.9ohms at the speaker terminals.

For the amp, i have a JBL BPX2200.1, which can push 1800w RMS into 1 ohm, or 2480w RMS @ 4 ohms according to birth sheet. Not sure how much it will push into 2 ohms, but probably around 2500w rms as well.

Right now, my gains are set to give me about 45V across the speaker terminals on a 60Hz sine wave, any more voltage than that causes the sub to 'pop' - i dont know if its the sub bottoming, or if its the amp clipping, i have no way to test this, which is why i wanted a ported box to begin with. With the ported box, i hope to be able to increase my gains to 2000w RMS.

My problem right now, is that even with over 1000w RMS going into my sub, (currently in a 1.0cu ft sealed box) my mids can overpower the sub quite easily.

All i have for midrange is a set of 6.5" components up front, which are JBL C608GTI's, receiving about 150w RMS per side, from a JBL Px600.2 amplifier.

3.0Farad capacitor is installed on the subwoofer amp just for good measure.

As far as box tuning, i am looking to get a lot more SPL while still retaining excellent SQ as compared to what i am currently getting out of my sealed setup. Thats why i went to a slightly higher tunne than the recommended 28Hz. The 32Hz tune gave me a 2-3db peak at the tuning frequency, where 28Hz keeps a ruler flat frequency response from about 28Hz all the way up to the max frequency of the sub. I do tend to like tighter sounding bass, so i probably want to keep my group delay down below 25ms at all frequencies.

-Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by RemlapaN; 09-02-2004 at 03:18 PM.

well I was at a show and this wagon owner had one on the drivers rear corner custum made so I am looking to do the same. did not get to hear it. looked nice though. I am also running a sealed box but cheap infinity 1020W speaker. sounds ok.
    2002 wagon 83k miles
    perrin short ram, inlet & fmic, perrin / samco hoses and fuel rails, bosal dp. erz upp, borla catback, sti ra gears w/ stock 5th, act clutch & fly, vf30, AP, perrin end links, critical cooling kit, hks bov, perrin 4pot brakes, rota wheels, hid w/ levals

Racenut3.0 - said
    "The worst thing about the AP is it did not come with any fairy dust. I wanna fly dammit!"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.