Car audio Poll. - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Car audio Poll. within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey, I'm lookin for some good component speakers. woofers/mid range and tweeters, and an amp to power them (i've got ...

Hey, I'm lookin for some good component speakers. woofers/mid range and tweeters, and an amp to power them (i've got a 100x4 rms @ 2 ohms that i can use though) for under $400. Any suggestions? I'd like to use my amp if possible...it's a Rockford Fosgate punch 400a 100x4 RMS @ 2 ohms, 50x4 RMS @ 4 ohms.
    Im lookin on ebay atm...i'd like the speakers to be like 250 or less if i can use my amp...or just a total for amp and speakers of $400...
    thanks
    '03 Aspen white rex

-Infinity Kappa Perfect 12D VQ running on a MTX audio 420D.
    -Kicker SS components (6.5") running on a hifonics saturn a4000
    -60 sq. ft of edead v1.2se

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey I just found these speakers on eBay...
    Pioneer TS-C130R
    specs:
    peak power: 180 watt
    RMS: 40 watts @ 4 ohms
    Response: 35 hz - 32000 Hz
    Sensitivity: 90 dB
    impedance: 4 ohm
    Tweeter size: 1"

here's a link to a page w/the specs
    http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Pioneer_TS_C130R

how do yall think those look? I can use my RF amp to power those, right? its 50x4 @ 4 ohms
    '03 Aspen white rex

I Support ClubWRX
    Alpine CDA-7894 MP3 Headunit
    Polk/MOMO MM465 6.5" Front Component Speakers w/Custom Fabbed Spacers
    JL TR400-CXi 4" Rear Coaxial Speakers
    JL Audio 10w6v2 Subwoofer
    JL Audio Slash Series 500/1 Class D Amplifier w/Remote Gain Knob

Nothing crazy. It all sounds good together.. clean, crisp. The Polk/Momo's are not to 'bright' since the tweeters are silk dome. The JL sub and amp work extremely well together and produce deep, clear, clean hitting bass... nothing muddy. I've been thinking about going with new speakers up front as I'm starting to get crazy about midbass, but I think I may just end up going with a 3-way component system... probably JL.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by MidKnight
    Alpine CDA-7894 MP3 Headunit
    Polk/MOMO MM465 6.5" Front Component Speakers w/Custom Fabbed Spacers
    JL TR400-CXi 4" Rear Coaxial Speakers
    JL Audio 10w6v2 Subwoofer
    JL Audio Slash Series 500/1 Class D Amplifier w/Remote Gain Knob

Nothing crazy. It all sounds good together.. clean, crisp. The Polk/Momo's are not to 'bright' since the tweeters are silk dome. The JL sub and amp work extremely well together and produce deep, clear, clean hitting bass... nothing muddy. I've been thinking about going with new speakers up front as I'm starting to get crazy about midbass, but I think I may just end up going with a 3-way component system... probably JL.
    THE BEST component 3 way system currently available is the Dynaudio System 360. But.....

for those of lesser financial ability, or lack of expertise to create perfectly imaged and sealed custom panels and enclosures, the Planet Audio 3 way, runs a close third (Focal 165K3, one of my fav's and #2), but rank #1 when price is considered. These things cost less than most mid to high end headunits, but sound incredible. I had a 4 way component in my GMC, midbass, and imaging that was mindblowing. I miss it every day, and curse Subaru for building such a sinfully fun car with horrible accoustics......I wonder if EVO VIII's sound better??? No, no I'm just talking nonsense. Build the panels, throw yourself into debt without regard to your FICA score and enjoy audio Nirvana. I'm with you on the Midbass thing. Too bad 99.999999% of the people I know and meet have no clue what "good" sound is.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    THE BEST component 3 way system currently available is the Dynaudio System 360. But.....

for those of lesser financial ability, or lack of expertise to create perfectly imaged and sealed custom panels and enclosures, the Planet Audio 3 way, runs a close third (Focal 165K3, one of my fav's and #2), but rank #1 when price is considered. These things cost less than most mid to high end headunits, but sound incredible. I had a 4 way component in my GMC, midbass, and imaging that was mindblowing. I miss it every day, and curse Subaru for building such a sinfully fun car with horrible accoustics......I wonder if EVO VIII's sound better??? No, no I'm just talking nonsense.
    I've heard the dynaudio and focals and yes they are incredible, but they have a price to match! I've never heard the planet audio system, but will definitely check that out... unfortunatel, I'm back in college and price is a very big factor with everything these days.

Build the panels, throw yourself into debt without regard to your FICA score and enjoy audio Nirvana.
    Unfortunately, my FICA score already sucks (see: mod list lol). I guess a little more won't hurt though!!

I'm with you on the Midbass thing. Too bad 99.999999% of the people I know and meet have no clue what "good" sound is.
    I find myself saying that a lot about most of the folks I know. I had a friend spend >$1500 on a system for his gti and it sounds horrible. His sub box resonates, his imaging is AWEFUL and the staging sounds like it's coming from under the back seat... but to him it sounds great because it was all expensive stuff... whatever.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

ej20 i assume you are talkign about the Planet Audio V63CK 3-ways. 2-5/8" mounting depth. www.planetaudiousa.com says this speaker has 2 1/8" mounting depth...but it also says it has a 2 5/8" mounting depth.....which is it? Is that too deep to make spacers and get the speakers to fit in?
    How much do these speakers run?
    What amp would you reccomend to power these? cost?

uh....well iv fond the speaker price of $200 at a froogle store.....but um....how do u mount 6 speakers in a wrx?!? there are only 2 spots in the front............??

heh...i finally found out where the edit button is! go me
    Last edited by tracker7821; 09-28-2004 at 03:39 PM.
    '03 Aspen white rex

hey sorry...i don't know where the edit button is, or i would edit my last post.
    anyways...i just found this amp Infinity Reference 7540a

Key Features:

111 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (CEA-2006 Compliant)
    139 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
    278 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms in bridged mode
    2-, 3-, or 4-channel output
    4-ohm stable in bridged mode
    variable high-/low-pass filters (32-320 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
    variable Bass EQ (0-12 dB @ 50 Hz)
    requires 8-gauge power and ground leads hardware and wiring not included with amplifier
    preamp outputs
    preamp- and speaker-level inputs
    16-3/8"W x 2-11/16"H x 12-1/8"D
    fuse rating: 30A x 2
    warranty: 1 year

hows that look? its 259.99 on www.crutchfield.com but i'm sure i could find it for like 170ish on eBay.

k well thats a 4 channel amp...how about this 6 channel amp ( i assume the 3 way speakers need 6 channels) (im a nub)...

4 Ohm: 6 x 75 Watt
    2 Ohm: 2 x 105 Watt
    variabler 18 dB Highpass: 90 - 750 Hz
    variableHighpass: 90 - 750 Hz
    variablerHigh Pass: 90 - 750 Hz
    variable 18 dB Low Pass: 30 - 120 Hz
    Bass Boost 45 Hz: 0/18dB
    Line Output
    Volt-Meter
    Frequenzgang: 10 - 40000 Hz
    3-Fach Schutzschaltung
    324 x 457 x 51 mm

any other suggestions for a cheap amp to power that 3-way system from planet audio?

-still open for component speaker suggestions, 2-way and 3-way
    Last edited by tracker7821; 09-28-2004 at 03:26 PM.
    '03 Aspen white rex

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The mounting depths, i think (haven't checked the site/book), are for the midbass (6.5"), and then the mid driver (4"). You have to make custom panels. Not very difficult, but taxing on your patience whenever you work with fiberglass. If any of you are interested, I'm a Planet Audio dealer, and I've got the 3 way in stock. PM me for a price.

Claudiu Ene
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The most important specs when comparing amps are RMS power output, THD, and Signal to noise ratio. The rest is only useful when building competition vehicles, in which dB slopes and flutter become a huge issue. All you need are power and distortion ratings to figure out what works for you. Beyond that, it's unlikely that your ear would pick up subtle differences, especially in a WRX.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The mounting depth for the 6.5" is 2-5/8". Just checked the book. i don't know what that other mounting depth is.

OK, so now my question is...do these speakers come wiht a 3-way crossover so i coudl use a 2 channel amp....which leads in to my next question.....
    can i use my rockford fosgate punch 400 a 4 amp.....its 50x4@4 ohms. Is it bridgeable to 100x2@4 ohms?? How do i bridge an amp?

edit:: I just saw on their site that it is bridged into 200x2@4 ohms........how do i bridge an amp???
    '03 Aspen white rex

Where would i go about getting good quality wood spacers for these speakers.....?
    '03 Aspen white rex

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by tracker7821
    OK, so now my question is...do these speakers come wiht a 3-way crossover so i coudl use a 2 channel amp....which leads in to my next question.....
    can i use my rockford fosgate punch 400 a 4 amp.....its 50x4@4 ohms. Is it bridgeable to 100x2@4 ohms?? How do i bridge an amp?

edit:: I just saw on their site that it is bridged into 200x2@4 ohms........how do i bridge an amp???

(+)_(-)_(+)_(-)___(+)_(-)_(+)__(-)
    Lr___Lr__Rr_Rr___Lf__Lf__Rf__Rf <<<<<<<< that 's a normal amp setup, non-bridged

(+)__-__+__(-)__(+)_-_+__(-)
    L__________L____R_______R <<<<<<<<< that would be bridged to 2 channels.

Again, bridging the amp does not affect impedance/Ohm load. The Woofer/Speaker configuration changes the iimpedance/Ohm load. No matter how you wire the amp, the speakers ultimately determine the impedance/Ohm load. NOT the amp. Therefore, the impedance is only affected by the way the speakers are wired up, and what impedance the speakers are. The amp only makes power. The speakers determine at what rate it flows out of the amp.

Electricity is very much like water so here's an example to clarify.

Imagine that watts are stored water in a dam, and that the speakers are the gates on that dam. No matter how much water is behind the dam, how much of it can flow out is determined by how many, or few, of the gates are open. The gates are resisting the water. The more gates are closed, the higher the resisitance and the less water flows out.

Now interchange the water with power that your amp makes, and the closed gates to Ohms.

To help make the analogy, pretend that closed gates are Ohms. The more gates are closed, the higher the resistance, or Ohm load, and less water/electricity can flow out. The fewer gates are closed, the less resistence/Ohms, the more water (power) can flow. So you see, no matter how it's set up, how much power your amp makes is all dependent on the speaker configuration.

Let me know if this is still evading your grasp, and I'll try another way of explaining it.But for the time being, just remember the the Ohms are determined by the speakers, not the amp.
    Last edited by ej20fan; 09-28-2004 at 08:20 PM.

ok so im looking at the back of my amp right now....
    LR(+)__LR(-)___RR(+)__RR(-)_______B(+)__GND________LF(-)__LF(+)___RF(-)__RF(+)

basically id just run a wire for the following?

LR(+)__RR(-) LF(+)__RF(-) ??
    i'm still alittle confused if this isnt how to do it.
    '03 Aspen white rex

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by tracker7821
    ok so im looking at the back of my amp right now....
    LR(+)__LR(-)___RR(+)__RR(-)_______B(+)__GND________LF(-)__LF(+)___RF(-)__RF(+)

basically id just run a wire for the following?

LR(+)__RR(-) LF(+)__RF(-) ??
    i'm still alittle confused if this isnt how to do it.

That's it. All you've got to worry about now is them being out of phase, you'll know right away if you plug them in one by one. If when you connect the second sub, the bass volume becomes lower, that means it's out of phase. To correct, simply switch +/- on one of the woofers. It should then sound louder when you connect the second one. Let me know what you'll do.

Also, I'm selling my Kove's as a 3 way set. 6.5 Midbass, 4" mic, 1" silk tweet. You need to build your own X-over though, but will sound Awesome. Pm me if you're interested. The price is killer, but you'll need a killer amp to power them. They're very picky, and I'm tired of always tuning and adjusting to get them to sound properly.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast