do i need an amp???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on do i need an amp??? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Im installing the following components and would like some input from you pros out there. Alpine CDA-9835 MB Quart PCE-216 ...

do i need an amp???

Im installing the following components and would like some input from you pros out there.

Alpine CDA-9835
    MB Quart PCE-216 6.5" components for the front
    Infinity Basslink

My question is would adding an amp to push the fronts be worth it or would they sound good enough running off the HU?

Also, should I add some speakers to the rear doors? I heard it wont make any diff in sound.. what do you think?????
    You wanna shoot? shoot. Dont talk!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's almost exactly the same setup I have - which is an Alpine 9820-XM, basslink and sony xplods (don't laugh, I know they suck.)

I don't have an amp and I was almost convinced to get one when I got the alpine. But the sound improvement was so substantial over the stock system, I soon forgot about it.

Now that i'm used to it, I wish I had the amp for clarity particularly at low volumes and with the windows open. But you might not have my problem - which is to say $hitty front speakers. The basslink is pretty good, though not as powerful as i thought it would be.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

The amp will make the speakers clearer sounding as well as being able to play louder.
    As far as rear speaks, it is all just personal preference. If you get them you probably wont need to amp them. I dont know if your HU is one of the V-Drive ones (I'm not familiar with the new models) but it is a fairly powerful internal amp.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

these are some specs for the HU.

~ 26W MAX x 4 V-Drive Power Amplifier
    ~ Bass Engine Pro
    ~ 6-Channel Digital Time Correction
    ~ 6-Position HP/LP (24dB/Octave) Digital Crossover
    ~ 5-Band Parametric EQ
    ~ 3-way or 2-way electronic crossover with adjustable slope
    ~ Subwoofer Level Control with Phase Selector
    ~ Media Xpander
    ~ XM Satellite Radio Ready
    ~ MP3/WMA/CD-R/RW Playback
    ~ CD Text and MP3/WMA Tag Information Display
    ~ Quick Search Function
    ~ CD Text, CD Text Display, CD Text Scroll
    ~ 2 Line Color Display
    ~ 512 Color illumination
    ~ Versatile-Link Ready
    ~ MaxTune SQ Tuner
    ~ BlackOut Display
    ~ Regulated 1Bit DAC
    ~ 3 PreOuts (4 volt)
    ~ MM Driver (Hard Disc Drive) Ready
    ~ MobileHub Ready
    ~ i-Personalize
    ~ Swing Mechanism with Detachable Face
    ~ RUE-4187 Wireless Remote Control Included

I would definately get an amp. It will make the sound clearer, more crisp, and overall better.

Get an amp. You will be better off doing it now with everything out the to have to do it later and have to yank the radio out again. The amp will make a huge difference in clarity and your speakers will be much more detailed and tight sounding.
    2004 STi

thanks alot guys! Ill probably put one in when im ready to do the install.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.