Amp turning on and off at high volume !?!?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Amp turning on and off at high volume !?!? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Anyone have any idea why an amp would work fine at low volume, but then clip on and off at ...

Amp turning on and off at high volume !?!?

Anyone have any idea why an amp would work fine at low volume, but then clip on and off at high volume? The wiring is perfect, I'm sure of it (4 guage power wire into an adapter sending 8 guage to the amp, then an 8 guage ground wire; all connections are solid). The amp is a Kenwood, 2 years old, running two MTX 6000 10" woofers. I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is it under a seat or something? It may have a thermal shutoff, although it probably would not come back on right away if that's it...

Are your lights dimming or anything when it's cutting out?
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

The amp is in the trunk and it is not overheated. Lights don't flicker when the amp bounces on and off. When the amp worked, the lights dimmed with a hard bass hit, but that was expected because the system doesn't have a capacitor.

I had one guess for why the amp is acting the way it is. If you feed certain amps too low of an impedance (like running subwoofers at 2 ohms when the amp needs a 4 ohm load), some amps go into "safety mode" where they shut off so they won't get damaged. They might go off and on repeatedly to keep testing whether or not they're getting the right impedance. But the only way this could be the reason for my problem is if it's possible to damage a subwoofer, lowering its impedance, but not blow the woofer. Is this possible? A blown woofer just creates a break in the circuit, so it'd have to be damaged with less resistance for my scenario to work. The system used to work perfectly until a few days ago.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by hamz01; 07-29-2004 at 11:54 AM.
    Brandon

youre asking fortoo much out of it.

turn the gain down

youre just drawing too much and its shutting off as a protective feature.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Hows the ground conection? Sounds like a bad groud?
    I bought a 500sqft garage and a house comes with it...

most likely a wiring issue would produce these symptoms regardless...wouldnt it?

not just at high volume (high draw)

I was thinking the vibration would cause a loose/improper ground conection... he is running two 10s
    I bought a 500sqft garage and a house comes with it...

most likely power issue, not wiring...

anyways good luck! turn that gain down and fine tune your radio from there...

My guess is that your amp is "clipping", so yes, do what the others are suggesting... Turn down your gain a bit.
    James

"Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, if he doesn't like what you have to say, it'll be OK because you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes."

It was the subwoofers... they were both blown!!
    Brandon

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.