sub cutting out

This is a discussion on sub cutting out within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; i just put in new deck speakers sub and amp. i got mbquarts all around and a kicker comp vr ...

sub cutting out

i just put in new deck speakers sub and amp. i got mbquarts all around and a kicker comp vr sub running off of a kicker 700x5 amp it's a 400x1 for the sub and a 75x4 for the speakers. and the sub seems to cut off when i start to turn it up. i think that i need a cap. but i just want to make sure before i invest in one. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are all of the connections good? How is the sub wired? If the subwoofer was wired for too low of an impedance it could put the amp into protect mode. That doesnt sound like a large enough load on the motor to illicit needing a cap.
    13.2 @105 with the old auto. Now rockin a 4.44 standard tranny.

the sub is hooked up in parallel at 2 ohms which is what the amp is. all the connections are secure. and i have the apexi turbo timer with ther voltage gauge and it drops down like no other when i'm at idle. and my lights flicker as well. if it was hooked up wrong then i dont' think it would even work when i have the volume pretty low. i think i it might be the frequency that i had set on the amp for the sub. it was at almost 100hz while i think it should be around 60 - 80hz. i guess i'll try adjusting hte amp and see

check all of the connections once again just to make sure, the amp is probably cutting out to protect itself . Light flickering also isn't good, I think it could possibly lead to alternator problems in the future (at least that's what it did for me).

good luck!

all connections are perfect. it sounds fine at lower volumes but when i turn it up it starts to cut out. i'll put in the cap and see what happens.

What size wiring and what battery do you have? A capacitor would probably only be a band-aid to the real problem..
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

i got a 4 gauge power wire to the battery and it's just a stock battery? i'm not too sure of the exact specs of the batt.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Sorry, I work for a stereo shop in LA, and it doesn't sound like a wiring problem.

It sounds as though one of your speakers may be bad. Try disconnecting every speaker, turning up the radio, and then test them one by one. If the amp shuts off when you connect a certain speaker(s), as more than one may be bad, then you know what your problem was. A blown speaker will sometimes force your amp into protection mode.

If it does not yield any results, check your ground, the fuse, as it may not be working properly, and lastly use a multimeter to check the RCA's for voltage spikes.

I also would like to know whether you're using a factory radio or an aftermarket one. If so, which one.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Contrary to popular belief, refrain from purchasing a cap. A small optima tuner battery (Honda Fit) with an isolator will yield better results, decrease the load on your alternator and stop your lights from dimming. A cap does none of the above for more than a few seconds as it's designed to rapidly discharge it's load, meaning that it becomes totally drained within a few seconds of hard use.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

how much does one of those battery run? and i've been using a panasonic headunit for temporary. but i'm switching to the alpine 1 1/2 din headunit.

that's what i was thinking about the speakers being blown. it can't be the sub cause it works awesome but i'll check the speakers i guess. this is a pain in the ass. but i'm switching out speakers anyway. thanks for your help though

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    they run about $150 for the tuner one, the big one around $200, and the RF $275. Are you sure the wiring harness is wired properly?? I've had that same with common ground systems that need to be re-wired with new stereo's. This should not be the case as your radio is not set up for this, but again, I cannot speak for someone elses work. i've said it before, but more than 90% of all problems are not from faulty equipment, but faulty installers.