capacitor?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on capacitor? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; well i got my alpine 9835 installed and i crank that bad boy up and when the bass hits the ...

capacitor?

well i got my alpine 9835 installed and i crank that bad boy up and when the bass hits the jl 1000.1 pulls all the power and it turns the radio off(voltage drop)...well the guys i take my car to said i should go with a cap about 2 farads but is 2 enough or can i go more and which company would be good in quality price is doesnt matter
    '04 premium java sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yeah get a cap

If you wired in a 2-farad capacitor that'd be plenty. I have an Alpine 9811 head unit with MTX amplifier and MTX 8000 12" subwoofer, 500w RMS and I run a 1-farad cap and that's even enough. I wouldn't worry about who makes the cap; they all do the same thing. I got mine on eBay for cheap, but I don't get used stuff. If you're going to install it yourself it's very easy, mine's in the trunk wired in parallel with the amp.
    Last edited by hamz01; 07-12-2004 at 11:30 PM.
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

thanx i like the way the soundstream looks
    '04 premium java sedan

The voltage drop is so bad your radio turns off? OMG that is so bad! I'm sorry but a cap will not solve that problem. It'll just act like a band-aid. What you need to do is run larger power wire from your battery to your amp. And also upgrade the wire from alternator to battery + and battery - to ground. That should hep you out. Oh, and after doing that, an upgraded battery under the hood will do wonders too.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

i have 2 gauge running now. and i got and interstate battery
    '04 premium java sedan

Originally posted by rokyholler
    i have 2 gauge running now. and i got and interstate battery
    Where did you run your 2-guage wires? They don't fit in the door panels do they -did you run them under your car?
    Brandon
    '11 WRX 5-Door, Dark Gray Metallic

yeh i ran it under the door sill thing
    '04 premium java sedan

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    OMFG. Who did your install?? I just want to make sure I never hire that guy at my shop!!!

A cap, as aforementioned, will do little other than look pretty. A upgraded battery, meaning a deep cycle, such as the Optima, Rockford Fosgate, or SVR are better. If you're radio shuts off, something else must be terribly wrong, as it shutting off due to voltage drop would mean that your car will not start either. Is that also the case???
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I agree with the above. You need to take care of the basics first. Why did they install 2 gauge for a 1000/1? I thought JL recommended at least 0/1 gauge wiring for that amp. Another key not on that JL amp, that amp pulls some mad current due to the R.I.P.S. feature that the amp has.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Sorry guys, but 4 gauge is more than enough for that amp. The problem you're experiencing is not due to the wire being too small.

More likely, your problems are originating from somewhere else. A blown speaker (these sometimes cause shorts), bad speaker or RCA output on the radio, your powerwire grounding out, or your ground not being secure.

You'd have to prove to me with pic's and detailed outline how 2 gauge wiring was the source of your problems, as the amp would shut off first, going into protection without affecting the radio or other components of your vehicle, if the wire were too small.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

i got a monster cap 1 farad and it fixed the problem my lights still dim but it hits harder now
    '04 premium java sedan

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    The hitting harder is due to the amp having access to a rapid discharge powersupply. The only downside is that the cap is a bandaid in your case, and will solve the problems you had temporarily.

You should check the battery to make sure that it can still hold a charge, as the system may be pulling more current than your battery is capable of holding, meaning that you've exceeded it's duty cycle, and most likely have rendered it useless, or rather ineffective.

The cap will drain quickly, as it is not designed to hold a substantial charge, but rather work as a buffer, between the amp and the battery.

I hate to be the nay-sayer, but I am willing to lay some money on the line that you'll have problems within a few weeks, unless you upgrade the battery to a deep cycle unit.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.