For those of you w/ stock sound system...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on For those of you w/ stock sound system... within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; What level do you listen to music at before it gets crappy/think you're gonna blow your stuff out? I find ...

For those of you w/ stock sound system...

What level do you listen to music at before it gets crappy/think you're gonna blow your stuff out?

I find I can listen to anything between 10-15 without any problems...with some things around 20.

How loud do you put it at?
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Same here, Other than havin the 6 C.D changer I think its a P.O.S!

WHATEVER you do DO NOT buy that ghey ass "Sub" Subaru offers!,.....I did (Smacks head reapetadly)

Later on I plan on going back to my set up of a single 12 in a bandpass and amp. and some decent speakers and crossover.

(Probably keep the O.E.M head)

Everything I play lately turns to mush past 15

Shotgun

My WRX came with the stock system, it was alright for my tastes. Then one day I decided to buy someones used Subaru sub. I wasn't expecting much since its rather small. I was surprised though sound quality improved. It does act as an amp and will take the low range from the normal speakers so they don't have to cover such a wide range. So overall the stock system with the subaru sub was a good improvement for me and I am quite happy with it.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

i put in a lil 10 inch sbu in a bandpass with a 250 watt amp. I did a Line out convertor to the stock headunit. sound improved 100x and you can't even tell i got any system outside the car. I usually listen 10-15 volume anymore and it's mush on the stock headunit. I really want an alpine mp3 deck now...
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

i got my car stock and paid only an extra $200 for compass/dim mirror, heated seats, heated front windhshield, heated mirrors, sunroof visor (which i took off), upgraded speakers and sub, center armrest and soething else..

anyways... the stock sub is WAY better than the stock system alone..

my friend has a 2003 and I got my 2004 and he thought I bought new speakers when he came into my car....

they are not the best, but they are a BIG improvement over the stock system without the subaru sub...
    ------------
    AWDrifter
    ------------

i have the crap system and have to have it at like 24 to listen to
    "razorblade kiss" at the appropriate level
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I Support ClubWRX
    Actually, I bought that sub from Sub-aru. I really like it. I've got a Pioneer deck and Infinity components, and the sub goes really well with it. Fills in the low-ends some more without taking any room up in the car, since it fits under the passenger seat. No way I'm sticking a lame-ass huge sub in my trunk to take up all that room. Meh! I like the Subaru sub, so nya!
    2010 SSM STI

I've got the factory upgraded speakers and the headroom ends at about 10 or so....it's somewhat dependent on the Bass/Treble settings. The factory system sounds very nice despite the complaints of many.

The issue is lack of sound deadening materials to keep the sound quality the same at 65 MPH as they are with the engine not running. The imaging and seperation of the factory equipment, while not audiophile stellar is pretty decent. It even has enough power for more than comfortable listening levels....until you factor in engine/exhaust/road and wind noise.

Oh yeah, back on topic.....I'll sometimes go to the 15-18 range...but usually just stop at 12.

+1 for liking the stock sub, its better then nothing...I'm not a huge audio fanatic, as long as its crisp and has mids and lows I'm ok...I can't stand bolt loosening bass.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

An "entry level" aftermarket sound system is a huge improvement over stock.
    I changed the HU at first: no big difference, after that aftermarket speakers on front and back doors: diferent but I didn't like it. Then a pair of 6x9 came in, sound better but still crappy.
    Plan B: Rockford 4 way amp. Pionner components on front doors and a small 8 inches Rockford sub at the trunk.
    Now it sound really good. It is not an expensive setup and I'm very pleased. Playing CDs the system sound perfetly flat and clear, no need for any equalization.
    I like it!

i listen between 8-16 with the bass on 4
    FP Green STi

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm usually at the 15-20 level depending on the cd.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

Mostly around 8-10. Anything above that, it starts to sound like crap to me.

You can tweak the gain and cutoff on the stock sub unit.
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

Depending on the CD, I can cruise around town at 6 or so with the windows up. On the highway with windows down, it need to be at 20.

I've noticed that the system seems to change the EQ as the volume gets louder. Plenty of treble and mid, but the bass seems to drop off.

All things considered, though, I'm satisfied with the stock system. I didn't buy this thing to go booming down the streets on hydraulics.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Originally posted by djrez4
    Depending on the CD, I can cruise around town at 6 or so with the windows up. On the highway with windows down, it need to be at 20.

I've noticed that the system seems to change the EQ as the volume gets louder. Plenty of treble and mid, but the bass seems to drop off.

All things considered, though, I'm satisfied with the stock system. I didn't buy this thing to go booming down the streets on hydraulics.
    An amped sound system is not always about "booming". As you said, as you ask for more volume the amp at the HU has not enough bread to reproduce low frecuencies. The result is a crisp and distortioned high and mids sound, not good.
    A good amp gives you far better sound quality, even at moderate volume. Of course as SQ gets better you will be pleased hearing the system at higher volume but with lower distortion.
    I like it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast