subwoofer wattage... easy question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on subwoofer wattage... easy question within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; the dude at the local car audio place threw some system ideas at me (decent sound, budget price) and we'd ...

subwoofer wattage... easy question

the dude at the local car audio place threw some system ideas at me (decent sound, budget price) and we'd come to the decision of a couple 10" eclipse subs (forget the model, theyre about $100 each) and a kicker kx200x2 (2 ch, 200 watt) amp.

well since then ive been checking out ebay and am looking for some lower priced options.. i already got the amp so im kinda married to that, but im maybe thinking some other subs. one option is the infinity 1030w.. the reviews ive read said its pretty good. i also found a couple 12" fusions and have heard theyre excellent... but am not sure i have enough power to drive them. i know the infinity rms is from 50-250 but the fusion is 200w. being that i only have 100w each to spare, is this going to be enough? how far below the rms wattage can you drop?

incidentally, my other setup (coming in the mail) are alpine 6.5 front and alpine 5.25 coaxials for the back.

(i still wondering what i can easily fit on the rear deck if anyone knows!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get a new amp. I don't like to underpower subs, otherwise you won't be pleased with the performance. In fact, I prefer to overpower them slightly and adjust the gain accordingly.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

well after viewing the details it appears this damn thing is 100w x 2 at 2 ohm. and 50w x 2 at 4ohm. so essentially it looks like i have 50w per sub. gad damn stereo guy. wtf is this enough for? im guessing i can forget about the fusions and it looks like the infinitys low rms is 50w. are my subs even going to be audible?? im not looking to be in competitions and dont even play my stuff at obscene levels, i just want it to sound okay.

Bridge the amp and run the subs in parallel. I'm not sure if that still gets you 50w per sub, but it's better than running stereo since bass isn't directional.
    2002 WRB WRX

Well you're other option would be to bridge it and put the sub in a ported box. With the ported box, you gain efficiency, so you can do more with less power.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.