My Revamped Carputer Setup - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on My Revamped Carputer Setup within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Who said anything about surfing the internet? I use it to play tunes and do GPS. The wireless modem makes ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Who said anything about surfing the internet? I use it to play tunes and do GPS. The wireless modem makes it super easy for me to maintain the computer and update files.

Why exactly is it "awful"?
    I love it. I've got over 2000 tunes on it now, and it's growing daily.
    My friends that have seen it in action think it rocks!
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 06-02-2004 at 05:30 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Trailboss
    Dude....sorry to go against what everyone else has been saying...but I think that's awful...

Keep the computer in the TV room inside the house. The car is for driving, not for surfing the internet.

Sorry but I have to disagree.. Computers are everywhere. Computers are not just a ugly box in a dark room. Computers are in almost everything you see.

I use a linux computer as my server, a windows computer as my main workstation and game play machine. I'm getting a seperate computer (custom build chassie) out in the living room and I hope it will take over many of my hifi stuff I have today.. And I'm working on a carputer project..

Greate for email and web when I'm traveling, but It will mainly act as a storage for my movies and mp3 collection.. I hate CD's.. I will also use it like most people for gps software and OBDII data capturing and to tune my ECU when I get it. I will also set up my computer to collect date from 3 or 4 cameras and to store it on the HD for later editing.. This will be much fun when I'm on track...

I will have to come up with a clever idea to keep the HD shock resistant, and I will not add much subwofers and stuff to keep the weight down to a minimum..
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

The "awful" part I am referring to is the idea of technology going berserk here.

We complain about "women drivers who put on make-up when they drive" or are "brushing their hair in the rear view mirror".....well, how much different is this than someone typing on their keyboard above their head??

Its one thing if you're on the side of the road typing, but its another thing if you're driving in traffic and using this.

$.02
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

I Support ClubWRX
    The "awful" part I am referring to is the idea of technology going berserk here.

We complain about "women drivers who put on make-up when they drive" or are "brushing their hair in the rear view mirror".....well, how much different is this than someone typing on their keyboard above their head??

Its one thing if you're on the side of the road typing, but its another thing if you're driving in traffic and using this.

$.02
    You're vastly exaggerating the situation. Functions in MediaEngine are mapped to a single key on the keyboard. To choose the next track, I hit the right arrow; to select from another directory, I hit P, then use a couple presses of an arrow key to get me where I need to be. It's no different than when you select new tracks on your in dash CD player or radio.

Actually, I would say it's better. My peripheral view of the road is quite good when I'm looking very slightly up to punch a key. It's probably better than when you take your eyes off the road to hit a key on your center console.

You've got some notion like I'm composing a Word document while driving. It's just not so. Have some faith! I don't like the "chick putting on makeup" any more than you do!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    You're vastly exaggerating the situation. Functions in MediaEngine are mapped to a single key on the keyboard. To choose the next track, I hit the right arrow; to select from another directory, I hit P, then use a couple presses of an arrow key to get me where I need to be. It's no different than when you select new tracks on your in dash CD player or radio.

Actually, I would say it's better. My peripheral view of the road is quite good when I'm looking very slightly up to punch a key. It's probably better than when you take your eyes off the road to hit a key on your center console.

You've got some notion like I'm composing a Word document while driving. It's just not so. Have some faith! I don't like the "chick putting on makeup" any more than you do!
    Alright, I must have misunderstood what the function of this carputer thing was. When I saw a keyboard on the sun visor, I got an image in my head of someone typing an email to someone while cruising down the road.

It was also hard for me to believe that someone like YOU would be doing something like that.

Thanks for proving me wrong
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

It was also hard for me to believe that someone like YOU would be doing something like that.

-tp

I Support ClubWRX
    Alright, I must have misunderstood what the function of this carputer thing was. When I saw a keyboard on the sun visor, I got an image in my head of someone typing an email to someone while cruising down the road.
    Nah, the keyboard was just a convenient way to change tracks, etc. If there needed to be an occasion where I actually use it like a real computer keyboard, I would certainly do so in the confines of my garage, or in a parking lot. I'm addicted to breathing...
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    I think he was making a thinly veiled reference to my age there, though I'm not sure...
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I guess I just believe that it would take someone like YOU to do something like that. ["That" being a kick ass home brew PC ICE setup.]

-tp

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Teep
    I guess I just believe that it would take someone like YOU to do something like that. ["That" being a kick ass home brew PC ICE setup.]

-tp
    Or someone like YOU to comment on it! (I just checked your profile...)

Hey, you edited while I was responding! Thanks for the compliment...
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 06-02-2004 at 09:35 AM.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

The "YOU" comment was more directed as:

"I'm surprised that a Subaru Impreza WRX enthusiast, whom I associate myself in the company of, would find it tasteful to modify their car in such a way that emphasized the placement of a keyboard inside the cabin in which case could be accessed by the driver while operating the motor vehicle."

I didnt realize that it was for only changing tracks. When I see 40 keys infront of me, switching tracks would seem a little more simpler with a few buttons

I didnt realize that it was for only changing tracks. When I see 40 keys infront of me, switching tracks would seem a little more simpler with a few buttons
    LOL... I can understand your consern To actually use the computer as a regular home computer while driving is insane. On my project I'm not sure if I'll even have a keyboard. I'll mainly use the touchscreen for changing tracks and stuff.. But after seeing this install I might want a small keyboard anyway as it would not add much weight, and is out of sight most of the time..
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    The keyboard is basically there because I could get one fairly cheaply, and since there's so many keys I know I won't run out of options as I add features. It's also handy if I do need to do some maintenance to the computer while travelling somewhere. (no, not while going down the road...) At this point I don't even have to look at the keyboard to do most things. My fingers can find the arrow keys at the bottom left, and I can navigate the menus with my eyes on the road.

Some people just use a numeric keypad, and remap the keys to different functions within the software. I would suspect that this would suffice for most.

A touchscreen would be ideal. You can turn on the touchscreen option in MediaEngine, and it will place touchscreen buttons on the screen to let you change tracks, search, etc. Maybe somewhere down the road I'll be able to afford to get one.

There's also one guy at the mp3car.com forum that's developing a voice activated system. I'm curious to see how that goes!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

damn those were some distasteful and illogical comments...

anyway to get this thread back on track: you think of routing your wiring to kinda clean it up? I made a small 'incision' in the carpet to the right of your comp and ran my cables through there (it feeds to directly under the armrest... from there you can run it by the shifter and into the location of the cig lighter/head unit). I wish I had more time to mess with my setup a little more... grr... keep it up

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I'm actually in the process of trying to make it look a little neater. The pic I posted is with the passenger seat all the way forward, so you can't see the wiring once it's in it's proper position. I have one usb extension cable that I need to hide; then it'll all be invisible!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast