Oem '04 deck question

This is a discussion on Oem '04 deck question within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Ok I have decided that when I get my car instead of spending money on an aftermarket HU that only ...

Oem '04 deck question

Ok I have decided that when I get my car instead of spending money on an aftermarket HU that only plays one cd, I like the 6 cd thing in the dash - now I wanna get a sub but do not like the factory one - if I get an inifinity basslink are there any pre-outs on the oem deck so I can just plug and play the sucker instead of having to splice all kinds of wires??? being that the car has the option of a factory subwoofer, there are line outs on the factory deck for it right??? Also where is the power tapped into for the factory sub???
    Blobeye Syndicate #48
    2008 Impreza Hatch
    Aztec Gold Metallic
    Missin' the WRX but not the money I am saving :-)
    My car's info

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i went the same route as you. i didnt wanna spend money on an aftermarket deck that only holds 1 cd instead of the oem deck that holds 6 cd's and has a tape player as well. the draw backs of keeping the oem deck is that it has no pre-outs and an aftermarket deck will give you a better sound even with the oem speakers.

what i did was run some speaker wire from the rear speakers (i used 3m clips and spliced in the middle of the speaker wires) to the trunk, and converted them to rca's (took some old rca plugs and spliced them into the speaker wire). or if you if the amp has hi-inputs, then all you have to do is plug them into the amp. as for the remote wire, i just have it hooked up to the radio fuse, so when the car is on, then the amp turns on. and so far, i havent had any problems with my setup.

as for the factory sub, it draws all the power and sound out from the deck through the wiring harness that comes with the sub.

hope this info helps you out any.
    Last edited by DjMarkOne; 05-19-2004 at 06:57 PM.

thanks DJ - helped a ton - I guess for now I am gonna keep the sound system stock - its good enough for me for at least the first 10,000 miles - I would rather invest the money in a turboback exhaust:-) - thanks again - dan
    Blobeye Syndicate #48
    2008 Impreza Hatch
    Aztec Gold Metallic
    Missin' the WRX but not the money I am saving :-)
    My car's info

i had a line out converter on my 2002 wrx stock deck for subs and it was not a good thing. the deck seems to lower bass levels as you turn up the volume. well not really lower them, it just keeps them at a set level and the higher frequencies keep getting louder. i had a very good equalizer, epx2, and i could not adjust the low frequencies at high volumes.
    i did not care for it at all, so i upgraded the deck, sounded much better. i was an installer for 4+ years, and can tell you that most factory decks do this to help save speakers i would guess.

it was definetally not an issue of the amp being underpowered, it was a 800 watt rms rockford.

here is a pic of the system i had.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails copy of amp rack.jpg  
    2004 STi
    Silver/Silver