Looking to upgrade the stock sound system, and need suggestions...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking to upgrade the stock sound system, and need suggestions... within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Okie, here's the deal... I know absolutely nothing about audio equipment for cars and the like, but I do feel ...

Looking to upgrade the stock sound system, and need suggestions...

Okie, here's the deal...

I know absolutely nothing about audio equipment for cars and the like, but I do feel the need to upgrade the stock stereo system in my WRX.

Ever since I got the car, I have noticed that the stereo system has treble, bass, but feels VERY flat in the mid section...This makes for a very hollow sounding quality, no matter what is being played in the CD player.

My tuner mentioned that a trunk mounted sub would be the answer to the problem, but other friends reckon that I just need to change out the speakers for something of better quality...especially the door mounted speakers.

I have decided that I am not looking to go the route of those huge boxes in the trunk, and the killer systems that a few people have here. I am simply looking for a nicely balanced setup that sounds rich, full and pleasing to the ears.I don't need the ability to set off alarm systems with my bass or anything like that. Just something that will allow me to get as much out of my music as possible.

I have listened to the stock Bose system in my friend's TL- TypeS, and I thought that sounded pretty nice. I have also spent many hours in my parent's Escalade listening to the Bose system in there, and that was nice too...

The stock system in my car does not have the optional Subaru OEM subwoofer, just what comes from the factory stock, and I am not sure if that is what I should get in order to achieve my objective with my car.

I would appreciate your opinions on this matter.

Thanks
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i would suggest a good HU like an Alpine and a simple 10 inch sub in a sealed box in the trunk and put the amp under the passenger seat.

If you want midrange, start with the new head unit and just get some really nice door speakers and perhaps an amp for the door speakers. If you get it right, you'll have really nice range and you'll feel like there is some nice bass coming. You won't need to turn the stereo up as loud either because the power will just be nicer. I don't have anything in my wrx, but my 00 passat I have Alpines in front and infinitis in the back doors. I also have two punch HX2s with a 1200 watt amp. If i had to do it again, I wouldn't even bother with the subs. Door speakers are the perfect part for someone who doesn't want a huge system.
    If you eventually want to move on, think about a ten inch sub.

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    If you're going to splurge on any 1 component, get the good Head Unit. I've got an Alpine CDA-9831. Do some searching online and you can find them pretty cheap.

2nd, get a nice set of component speakers for the front doors. Don't bother with the back doors.

If you want to add more bass later on, I might try the Infinity BassLink. A lot of ppl on here have had good things to say about that. It's already powered, so you won't need an amp for it, and it won't break the bank either.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate them..

Is it not possible to get the midrange without changing head units? I'd really like to keep the stock unit if I could, since I like the in-dash CD changer. Is it not possible to gain the better sound by changing speakers or something?

To be honest, I am not even sure as to what exactly it is about the stock sound system that makes it sound as hollow as it does..

IIRC, my friend'd TL doesn't have Mids, just base and trebble I think, and his system sounds so much better than mine. I know that he does have a sub as stock equipement. What I don't know is if it is the sub that is making it sound so good, or if it is something else..
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate them..

Is it not possible to get the midrange without changing head units? I'd really like to keep the stock unit if I could, since I like the in-dash CD changer. Is it not possible to gain the better sound by changing speakers or something?

To be honest, I am not even sure as to what exactly it is about the stock sound system that makes it sound as hollow as it does..

IIRC, my friend'd TL doesn't have Mids, just base and trebble I think, and his system sounds so much better than mine. I know that he does have a sub as stock equipement. What I don't know is if it is the sub that is making it sound so good, or if it is something else..
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    The Stock HU doesn't really produce the best sound. You probably plan on buying speakers regardless, so you can probably buy the speakers first, and see how it sounds with the stock HU. If you like it, then you're set! If you don't like the sound, get a new HU that's mp3/wma capable. It will kick the a$$ of a CD changer any day.
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

Originally posted by chanwahyaoh
    The Stock HU doesn't really produce the best sound. You probably plan on buying speakers regardless, so you can probably buy the speakers first, and see how it sounds with the stock HU. If you like it, then you're set! If you don't like the sound, get a new HU that's mp3/wma capable. It will kick the a$$ of a CD changer any day.
    Thanks very much for the suggestions..

The main reason why I would like to keep the stock HU is simply because I want to keep the car as stock-looking as possible. I would like to have the nice sound, without the stereo system appearing to be different..

I think I will probably look into the speakers as a first upgrade. Is there any reason why I would upgrade the rear speakers only as opposed to the front speakers only??

It seems like the stock speakers in the car right now have np problems with making treble... mid and bass might be the points that are lacking...

Is there a manufacturer that is recommended? As I mentioned before, I am not necessarily looking to play music to a stadium audience or anything like that... Just something that would give good bang for the buck really...

Also, what does the OEM Subaru subwoofer do for the sound quality?? I have been looking at that also, but not sure if it would be the cure to the problem, so to speak... I don't want to plunk down the $$ for the part, and then realise that I still have the same problem
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

i am in a similar situation as you are and have done some research on upgrading my audio without getting too crazy about it. my (eventual) plan of attack is to get Infinity 6000cs components for the front doors, an Image Dynamics ID3 10" sub in a custom box that sits inside the spare tire (taking up no extra space), and a RF 551x amp to power both of them.
    this is a good quality upgrade as far as i am concerned, but nothing thats too crazy. i expect it to improve the sound a ton though at moderate levels, which is perfect for me.
    everyone i've ever talked to says to get a hew HU but i agree... i like how everything matches and looks nice inside the car. i dont need the six disc changer but until i find a HU that matches really really well, i'm not going to buy one.
    o-|-<) bryan
    edit: dont waste your money on the factory sub. if anything look into the Infinity Basslink... its very compact and you can throw it in a corner of your trunk. it is a 10" sub and is self powered with a 200 watt amp. very simple and very compact... good enough sound for me, but most true audiophiles turn their noses up at it.

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

If you want better mid-range, why did someone tell you to get a sub-woofer? Get a pretty good set of 6.5" component speakers, and you'll be a lot happier. An aftermarket head unit will help a lot in combination with new speakers, but your best bet would be to just get new speakers in the doors. Also, rear speakers don't make much of a difference really, so I would spend a little more to get really good front speakers.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Originally posted by Th3Franz
    If you want better mid-range, why did someone tell you to get a sub-woofer? Get a pretty good set of 6.5" component speakers, and you'll be a lot happier. An aftermarket head unit will help a lot in combination with new speakers, but your best bet would be to just get new speakers in the doors. Also, rear speakers don't make much of a difference really, so I would spend a little more to get really good front speakers.
    Thanks for the tip Franz...

Now, as I mentioned before, I have NO idea as to what is a good set of speakers, and how much one should pay for a good set to improve sound. I have modded the crap out of the car under the hood,so I know about what goes on there, but when it comes to audio, I am clueless. I just have an idea as to other systems that I have listened to in other cars that I liked.

I would just like my system to sound as nice and rich as the systems that come stock in other cars I have listened to, namely the Escalade, and the Acura 3.2TL Type S. If I could lift the entire system (minus HU) out of the TL, I'd be happy. It sounds perfect to me, although the audiophiles might not think so..

So.... Is the consensus that I should just change the front speakers? and leave the rears as is???

What about a subwoofer? The one described above looks like it might be the ticket for me, but is there a way of mounting it whereby it wound cause undesireable vibration/resonance ? I like the base, but don't want my trunklid, etc to vibrate like a mofo....

Again, I apologise if these questions are on the silly side
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Getting good speakers is the first step, but the install can make or break how they perform. Go to a local car audio shop (not a major chain store like Best Buy or Circuit City) and see what they have available. Any idea as to how much you want to pay for a pretty good pair of component speakers for the front? I guess my advice is to listen to some in person at various price levels, and go from there. I don't think I would pay more than $300 for a set of components, though. The sweet spot is probably about $150-$200 for a good set. Diamond Audio, Adire, JL, Eclipse, or Infinity would be brands worth checking out.

I have heard the Infinity Basslink in person and it is good for what you want. I don't think you have to worry about vibration and stuff too much, but some sound deadener (like Dynamat) can help a lot, especially if you use it in the doors once you get new speakers.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Thanks very much for the advice, much appreciated. Now the hunt begins!

02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

The original HU doesn't need to be changed out, so that's one less worry. The speakers probably do (I've only listened to the oem upgrades, which are surprisingly good), and then you'll need an amp (if you wish to use original HU.)

This system sounded really great: original HU, 2 amps, oem _upgraded_ speakers and a sub in the trunk.

The oem upgrade sub is pretty bad.

If you had bought the upgrade stereo package (and you wished to listen to it at higher volumes), then the only real problem you would have faced would be power -- solved either by amp(s) or new HU with built-in amp.

I'm upgrading my system within the next week or so. I wanted to keep the "stock" look as well, so I decided on keeping the factory HU and going with the following:

Infinity speakers in both front and back doors powered by a Clarion 100 watt amp (25wX4) to power them. This should give me a nice, crisp sound I want without resorting to space occupying subwoofers and such (I want to keep the back of my wagon open for hauling stuff). I already had the amp sitting around, so it shouldn't be too pricey to do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast