My planned audio setup

This is a discussion on My planned audio setup within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So, I have been working with my friend Adrian trying to come up with a solid audio setup, and this ...

My planned audio setup

So, I have been working with my friend Adrian trying to come up with a solid audio setup, and this is what we have so far. In addition to this stuff will be a 7" mattjk style LCD screen w/ custom in car computer.

Audiobahn A8000T Subwoofer Mono Amp
    400W 800W at 2 Ohms Air Induction Fan Cooled Cobalt Blue Illumination

Audiobahn ALUM10Q Subwoofer
    10-Inch Dual 6 Ohms Sound Q Series Spun Aluminum Cone Bolt-Tight Cast Basket

MB Quart REFERENCE RKC110 2-Way Speaker
    4" Coaxial with 3/4" Pure Titanium Tweeter and External Crossover

MB Quart REFERENCE RKC113 2-Way Speaker
    5 1/4" Coaxial with 3/4" Pure Titanium Tweeter and External Crossover

Rockford Fosgate Power CPCD10-03 Stiffening Capacitor
    Power Series 1.0 Farad with Digital Monitor

Rockford Fosgate Power CPPD4 Distribution Block
    Power Series HPP Platinum-Plated 4/8 Gauge

Rockford Fosgate Punch P4004 Multi-Channel Amp
    200W Punch Series 4-Channel 400W Bridged Remote Punch Bass EQ

Rockford Fosgate RFX9220G MP3 Player
    CD / MP3 Receiver with Motorized Detachable Faceplate Remote Control Dark Metallic Gray Finish

Cost is somewhere around $1,400-$1,500

Comments, Questions, Concerns?

I am a big time newbie when it comes to this stuff, so I am relying on my friends suggestions. Anything you guys would do differently? My main goal is crisp clear sound, bass does not have to be too loud.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: My planned audio setup

Originally posted by ryland

Cost is somewhere around $1,400-$1,500

Comments, Questions, Concerns?

I am a big time newbie when it comes to this stuff, so I am relying on my friends suggestions. Anything you guys would do differently? My main goal is crisp clear sound, bass does not have to be too loud.
    Your friend likes the high end stuff. Alls I can say is crisp clean sound can be achieved for about $600 less. It will be an amazing system, no doubt, but at a steep price.

ewwww audiobahn... come on man that wont do the MB quarts justice, JL audio is CLEARLY and i really do mean from a clarity standpoint the way to go.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

I don't mind spending the money on high end stuff. Anything you guys (dsel/midnightflat4) would change that would keep it around the same price?
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

i'm no audio pro either, but i have done a little research on this and here's what i have to say:

As long as you pay attention to mounting depths, you should be able to fit 6.5" speakers s in the front and 5.25" speakers in the rear.

MB Quart's speakers really arent the best out there, especially at the price. Their flagship line is very good, but with the lower end series, you may want to look elsewhere. After doing some research I decided on Infinity Reference 6000cs components. I'd go with components in the front. I actually compared the MB Quarts and the Infinitys and decided against the MBs. Coaxials in the rear should be fine, since they will just be filling the sound out, but I would definitely go with components for the fronts.

The sub you mentioned is rated at 6 ohms? I've never heard of that... You'll ideally be looking for something at 4 ohms so you can get a little more power out of the sub you buy that way.

After researching a good, compact 10" sub, I found that the Image Dynamics ID10v3 was the way to go for me. They are on sounddomain.com for about $100... a real bargain IMO.

hope this helps,
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

My speakers suck so I won't recommend those, but I'm really happy with my Alpine HU (a 9820 with a built-in XM tuner) and my subwoofer, which is a self-enclosed Infinity Basslink. There are definitely people here who think they suck, but I would strongly disagree. It's a good size for our micro-cars, and great sound for the money, which is about $200 on ebay.

I like the way LCDs look, and for the life of me, I have never figured out a purpose for them other than the bling bling of it all, and for the benefit of your friends. I don't like my friends enough to get one.

Originally posted by dsel
    My speakers suck so I won't recommend those, but I'm really happy with my Alpine HU (a 9820 with a built-in XM tuner) and my subwoofer, which is a self-enclosed Infinity Basslink. There are definitely people here who think they suck, but I would strongly disagree. It's a good size for our micro-cars, and great sound for the money, which is about $200 on ebay.

I like the way LCDs look, and for the life of me, I have never figured out a purpose for them other than the bling bling of it all, and for the benefit of your friends. I don't like my friends enough to get one.
    Ahh! The basslink! I brought that up but my friend didn't like it too much. I think they sound great, another friend of mine had one in his cavalier.

The reason for the LCD would be GPS and MP3's. I desperately need navigation, I get lost sometimes
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Originally posted by ryland
    Ahh! The basslink! I brought that up but my friend didn't like it too much. I think they sound great, another friend of mine had one in his cavalier.
    in that case, it makes perfect sense, though placement is everything. Are you going to be able to drive and check directions if it's at radio level? They seem to be mounted higher in stock navigation systems.
    As for the basslink, I don't understand why they're the most divisive subwoofers in christendom, but they are. I think mine sounds great, but im not interested in anyone else hearing my bass besides me. And the footprint in the trunk of my wagon is tiny compared to a 10-12" sub with a custom enclosure.
    If you liked the way it sounded, don't fear the basslink.

i had 2 15"s in my last ride I am feeling more of a treble for the wrx. 4+tweeters + midrange

Audiobahn's amps are decent depending on what you get but I don't like their subs at all. If you can find a car audio shop with lesser known brands, you'll get better sound for less money. Rockford Fosgate is not the same company they used to be, sadly, so their stuff is overpriced for what you get in my opinion.

Also, you probably won't need the capacitor. Instead, get a better battery and BE SURE to upgrade the magic 3 wires, especially the alternator + to battery + . Also, Rockford Fosgate decks are not very good. Pioneer, Eclipse, or Alpine would be a MUCH better bet.

Why are you getting a couple sets of coaxials? You'll want coaxials in the rear probably, but up front you'll get the best sound from separate components.

So, to summarize, look into a lesser known car audio shop and listen to some stuff. Keep in mind that price is not everything in terms of sound quality. There are plenty of amps and subs that will cost less and sound better than what you have listed there. If you wanna talk more, IM me sometime.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Originally posted by Th3Franz
    Audiobahn's amps are decent depending on what you get but I don't like their subs at all. If you can find a car audio shop with lesser known brands, you'll get better sound for less money. Rockford Fosgate is not the same company they used to be, sadly, so their stuff is overpriced for what you get in my opinion.

Also, you probably won't need the capacitor. Instead, get a better battery and BE SURE to upgrade the magic 3 wires, especially the alternator + to battery + . Also, Rockford Fosgate decks are not very good. Pioneer, Eclipse, or Alpine would be a MUCH better bet.

Why are you getting a couple sets of coaxials? You'll want coaxials in the rear probably, but up front you'll get the best sound from separate components.

So, to summarize, look into a lesser known car audio shop and listen to some stuff. Keep in mind that price is not everything in terms of sound quality. There are plenty of amps and subs that will cost less and sound better than what you have listed there. If you wanna talk more, IM me sometime.

Thanks for the input dude, I'll message you.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes