Subaru WRX Forum banner

DynoMat

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  driverj 
#1 ·
ANybody use this? Any install tips? Im going to be doing my trunk/back of rear seat/bottom of rear seat to quiet the car down inside. And i know its heavy but thats not a concern.

#3 ·
When you install it, buy the roller.....or go to home depot and buy the same type roller.........and a heat gun! When installing if you dont' get it SUPER hot........litterally almost turning to a gooey sheet in you hand, it wont stick and the way and will eventually peel and end up in a big hunk in your door, trunk etc........I found this one out the hard way on my last car!

#4 · (Edited)
Just don't waste your money buying Dynamat! There are other products that are the same thing that sell for much less. Use brown bread or hi-temp mastic (different types) which is available from mcmaster-carr.com. The brown bread - I'm not sure where to ge that. I used this on my old Acura along with some rubber undercoating, and it made a nice difference in the feel and sound of the car. The weight really wasn't too bad.

EDIT: go to mcmaster.com and check out page 3270 of their catalog, towards the bottom. They have some great stuff and it's a fraction of the price of Dynamat or even Brown Bread.

:wiggles:

#5 ·
Integra96 said:
Just don't waste your money buying Dynamat! There are other products that are the same thing that sell for much less. Use brown bread or hi-temp mastic (different types) which is available from mcmaster-carr.com. The brown bread - I'm not sure where to ge that. I used this on my old Acura along with some rubber undercoating, and it made a nice difference in the feel and sound of the car. The weight really wasn't too bad.

EDIT: go to mcmaster.com and check out page 3270 of their catalog, towards the bottom. They have some great stuff and it's a fraction of the price of Dynamat or even Brown Bread.

:wiggles:
excellent- thats what i was looking for.

#8 ·
Corey, don't bother with Dynamat.... too pricey. Like Integra said, either do brownBread or Raamatt. I've used both and would recommend either over dynamat. Dynamat doesn't like to stick to stuff for very long...

Definitely invest in a heat gun and a roller. Makes it the install easier, cleaner and it will look better and last longer.

#11 ·
Integra96 said:
It's not the foam, it's the adhesive-backed stuff. Check out that page and it should have specs like weight, sound-damping factor, and thickness.
Well they call it adhesive backed foam. There are several to chose from, Polyurethane, Polyethylene etc.
I'm looking for what type of material and thickness would be best to replace Dynamat brand stuff.

#12 · (Edited)
I used Raamat on my car and it made a big difference. I did all four doors, the floor in the front of the passenger compartment and the rear fender wells. It does decreases road noise. More importantly, it decreases vibrations and resonances that affect a poorly dampened structure like a WRX. In other words, the amount of road noise is decreased primarily by removing the lower frequency unpleasant sounds.

It won't get rid of rattles unless you put the sound deadener between the two parts that are rattling together. If you do this, it works well for getting rid of rattles.

From what I have read, the product that you buy, dynamat, raamat, brownbread, etc. isn't as important as the installation. Most importantly, the panel that you are going to apply the sound deadener to has to be clean (no dust or oil so wipe it with mineral spirits) and atleast 70F. Otherwise it won't adhere correctly.

#13 ·
Ebay is a great place to get sound deadener like Dynamat or Brownbread. I got 36 sq ft of Dynamat to start, but I'll probably get 50 sq ft or more in addition to that of the cheaper stuff. 1400+ watts and 140 dB will rattle my future car to pieces if I don't. :D

#14 ·
SERacing said:
Are you using this for audio/electronic or just to quiet rattles/exhaust sounds?
exhaust- im not going to upgrade my stereo.

#15 ·
If you're doing it to quiet exhaust there's something else you can try that's pretty cheap....
Go to Home Depot and find this pink insulating closed-cell foam. It's a about 1/4" thick. Pick some of that up and some 3M Spray adhesive and lay the stuff down under the rear seat. Made a HUGE difference in terms of quieting my exhaust and it cost very little in total (~$20 for enough adhesive and foam to have done the seats and the trunk). Make sure you get the closed cell foam as this is the stuff that insulates sound. If you really wanna go gung-ho, do the dynamat and then put this stuff over that.

#16 ·
I had Roadkill installed in my doors when I upgraded the speakers. I used the leftover to do the trunk. The stuff I used is awesome. You don't have to heat it and you don't even have to clean the surface unless it is encrusted with dirt.

Here is a link:

http://stingerelectronics.com/sting_products/products_intro.asp

I got it from my local installer. I just got my WRX and had been driving a Lincoln LS for the last few years so I was desperately in need of something to reduce the road noise--this stuff works great.

R

#17 ·
MidKnight said:
If you're doing it to quiet exhaust there's something else you can try that's pretty cheap....
Go to Home Depot and find this pink insulating closed-cell foam. It's a about 1/4" thick. Pick some of that up and some 3M Spray adhesive and lay the stuff down under the rear seat. Made a HUGE difference in terms of quieting my exhaust and it cost very little in total (~$20 for enough adhesive and foam to have done the seats and the trunk). Make sure you get the closed cell foam as this is the stuff that insulates sound. If you really wanna go gung-ho, do the dynamat and then put this stuff over that.
I tried looking into what you suggested and asked the "experts" at Home Depot about the closed-cell foam. All five of them had blank stares :confused:

So I decided to try the water heater pads with the aluminum exterior and applied it with 3M adhesive. I did both the dec lid and the back seat. It helped quite a bit. Spent about $20 too. I have more left over to do the truck under the wooden panel. I may do the doors too. It actually looks like Dynamat with the aluminum exposed.

#18 ·
I actually just did an install with Raam mat this weekend...took me a good amount of time, but I did the all the doors, trunk hatch, and under the trunk. I got the stuff for a decent price on ebay, and Rick from Raam audio is really cool to work with, he has a guide to applying the stuff (or any other damping material) over on Nabisco (think his id is raamaudio or something) I don't know how much this stuff deadens sound, its more to dampen the panels, etc. But his guide goes into adding closed cell as someone mentioned...I did that as well...used 3/8" camping pads from campmor.com ...7 bucks a peice...and I used like 3 of them. I haven't drive too much yet, so I can say how much its deadened road noise...but the midbass, etc. is much better....

#19 ·
I found the aforementioned Nabisco thread...actually probably answers a bunch of the questions on here, and has a really good guide for the install...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=535124&highlight=ensolite

its what I used and seems to be working well. I just drove to work this morning, in a decent rain, and it was definitely quieter. Its odd, its hard to really describe the difference, its not that there's less noises, its that you don't notice them as much.

#20 ·
I just drove to work this morning, in a decent rain, and it was definitely quieter. Its odd, its hard to really describe the difference, its not that there's less noises, its that you don't notice them as much.
Dynamat isn't a noise blocker (that's why I was talking about the closed cell foam, because that IS a noise blocker). What it does is make it so the metal panels of the car don't vibrate and amplify any noises. The things that cause noise (speakers, road noise, whatever) also cause the body panels to move which creates more noise. All we're doing is removing that part of the equation. So what you're noticing is actually that the noises you normally hear aren't causing anymore noise from the body of the car....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.