DynoMat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on DynoMat within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; ANybody use this? Any install tips? Im going to be doing my trunk/back of rear seat/bottom of rear seat to ...

DynoMat

ANybody use this? Any install tips? Im going to be doing my trunk/back of rear seat/bottom of rear seat to quiet the car down inside. And i know its heavy but thats not a concern.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I plan on doing this as well. Damn rattles.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

When you install it, buy the roller.....or go to home depot and buy the same type roller.........and a heat gun! When installing if you dont' get it SUPER hot........litterally almost turning to a gooey sheet in you hand, it wont stick and the way and will eventually peel and end up in a big hunk in your door, trunk etc........I found this one out the hard way on my last car!
    vendeta2k
    Accessport + COBB SF Intake = BEST MOD EVAR!!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Just don't waste your money buying Dynamat! There are other products that are the same thing that sell for much less. Use brown bread or hi-temp mastic (different types) which is available from mcmaster-carr.com. The brown bread - I'm not sure where to ge that. I used this on my old Acura along with some rubber undercoating, and it made a nice difference in the feel and sound of the car. The weight really wasn't too bad.

EDIT: go to mcmaster.com and check out page 3270 of their catalog, towards the bottom. They have some great stuff and it's a fraction of the price of Dynamat or even Brown Bread.

Last edited by Integra96; 04-19-2004 at 08:55 AM.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Originally posted by Integra96
    Just don't waste your money buying Dynamat! There are other products that are the same thing that sell for much less. Use brown bread or hi-temp mastic (different types) which is available from mcmaster-carr.com. The brown bread - I'm not sure where to ge that. I used this on my old Acura along with some rubber undercoating, and it made a nice difference in the feel and sound of the car. The weight really wasn't too bad.

EDIT: go to mcmaster.com and check out page 3270 of their catalog, towards the bottom. They have some great stuff and it's a fraction of the price of Dynamat or even Brown Bread.

excellent- thats what i was looking for.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I'm looking at my McMaster Carr catalog at work right now.
    What kind of foam is it? Do you have specs?

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not the foam, it's the adhesive-backed stuff. Check out that page and it should have specs like weight, sound-damping factor, and thickness.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

I Support ClubWRX
    Corey, don't bother with Dynamat.... too pricey. Like Integra said, either do brownBread or Raamatt. I've used both and would recommend either over dynamat. Dynamat doesn't like to stick to stuff for very long...

Definitely invest in a heat gun and a roller. Makes it the install easier, cleaner and it will look better and last longer.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

this thread rocks.

i've been hesitating to take off my doors and sound proof them. i always anticipated using dynamat, but thanks to you guys, i'll be using the better product.

thanks!

dR

Are you using this for audio/electronic or just to quiet rattles/exhaust sounds?
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Originally posted by Integra96
    It's not the foam, it's the adhesive-backed stuff. Check out that page and it should have specs like weight, sound-damping factor, and thickness.
    Well they call it adhesive backed foam. There are several to chose from, Polyurethane, Polyethylene etc.
    I'm looking for what type of material and thickness would be best to replace Dynamat brand stuff.

I used Raamat on my car and it made a big difference. I did all four doors, the floor in the front of the passenger compartment and the rear fender wells. It does decreases road noise. More importantly, it decreases vibrations and resonances that affect a poorly dampened structure like a WRX. In other words, the amount of road noise is decreased primarily by removing the lower frequency unpleasant sounds.

It won't get rid of rattles unless you put the sound deadener between the two parts that are rattling together. If you do this, it works well for getting rid of rattles.

From what I have read, the product that you buy, dynamat, raamat, brownbread, etc. isn't as important as the installation. Most importantly, the panel that you are going to apply the sound deadener to has to be clean (no dust or oil so wipe it with mineral spirits) and atleast 70F. Otherwise it won't adhere correctly.
    Last edited by Rich10; 04-19-2004 at 02:11 PM.
    2002 WRX WRB

Ebay is a great place to get sound deadener like Dynamat or Brownbread. I got 36 sq ft of Dynamat to start, but I'll probably get 50 sq ft or more in addition to that of the cheaper stuff. 1400+ watts and 140 dB will rattle my future car to pieces if I don't.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Originally posted by SERacing
    Are you using this for audio/electronic or just to quiet rattles/exhaust sounds?
    exhaust- im not going to upgrade my stereo.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're doing it to quiet exhaust there's something else you can try that's pretty cheap....
    Go to Home Depot and find this pink insulating closed-cell foam. It's a about 1/4" thick. Pick some of that up and some 3M Spray adhesive and lay the stuff down under the rear seat. Made a HUGE difference in terms of quieting my exhaust and it cost very little in total (~$20 for enough adhesive and foam to have done the seats and the trunk). Make sure you get the closed cell foam as this is the stuff that insulates sound. If you really wanna go gung-ho, do the dynamat and then put this stuff over that.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast