DynoMat - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on DynoMat within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I had Roadkill installed in my doors when I upgraded the speakers. I used the leftover to do the trunk. ...

I had Roadkill installed in my doors when I upgraded the speakers. I used the leftover to do the trunk. The stuff I used is awesome. You don't have to heat it and you don't even have to clean the surface unless it is encrusted with dirt.

Here is a link:

http://stingerelectronics.com/sting_...ucts_intro.asp

I got it from my local installer. I just got my WRX and had been driving a Lincoln LS for the last few years so I was desperately in need of something to reduce the road noise--this stuff works great.

R

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by MidKnight
    If you're doing it to quiet exhaust there's something else you can try that's pretty cheap....
    Go to Home Depot and find this pink insulating closed-cell foam. It's a about 1/4" thick. Pick some of that up and some 3M Spray adhesive and lay the stuff down under the rear seat. Made a HUGE difference in terms of quieting my exhaust and it cost very little in total (~$20 for enough adhesive and foam to have done the seats and the trunk). Make sure you get the closed cell foam as this is the stuff that insulates sound. If you really wanna go gung-ho, do the dynamat and then put this stuff over that.
    I tried looking into what you suggested and asked the "experts" at Home Depot about the closed-cell foam. All five of them had blank stares

So I decided to try the water heater pads with the aluminum exterior and applied it with 3M adhesive. I did both the dec lid and the back seat. It helped quite a bit. Spent about $20 too. I have more left over to do the truck under the wooden panel. I may do the doors too. It actually looks like Dynamat with the aluminum exposed.

I actually just did an install with Raam mat this weekend...took me a good amount of time, but I did the all the doors, trunk hatch, and under the trunk. I got the stuff for a decent price on ebay, and Rick from Raam audio is really cool to work with, he has a guide to applying the stuff (or any other damping material) over on Nabisco (think his id is raamaudio or something) I don't know how much this stuff deadens sound, its more to dampen the panels, etc. But his guide goes into adding closed cell as someone mentioned...I did that as well...used 3/8" camping pads from campmor.com ...7 bucks a peice...and I used like 3 of them. I haven't drive too much yet, so I can say how much its deadened road noise...but the midbass, etc. is much better....
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.

I found the aforementioned Nabisco thread...actually probably answers a bunch of the questions on here, and has a really good guide for the install...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...light=ensolite

its what I used and seems to be working well. I just drove to work this morning, in a decent rain, and it was definitely quieter. Its odd, its hard to really describe the difference, its not that there's less noises, its that you don't notice them as much.
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just drove to work this morning, in a decent rain, and it was definitely quieter. Its odd, its hard to really describe the difference, its not that there's less noises, its that you don't notice them as much.
    Dynamat isn't a noise blocker (that's why I was talking about the closed cell foam, because that IS a noise blocker). What it does is make it so the metal panels of the car don't vibrate and amplify any noises. The things that cause noise (speakers, road noise, whatever) also cause the body panels to move which creates more noise. All we're doing is removing that part of the equation. So what you're noticing is actually that the noises you normally hear aren't causing anymore noise from the body of the car....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

In my case, my interior noise is definitely lower. Freeway driving especially. Noise has gone down, alot + the subwoofer hits better without the rattles. I am definitely going to do the doors too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12