Where to put the amp?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Where to put the amp? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Where is the best place to put the amp? My brother and I are discussing the best place to put ...

Where to put the amp?

Where is the best place to put the amp?

My brother and I are discussing the best place to put it. He is thinking in the trunk where it can breathe better but that doesn't make much sense. Isn't there just dead air in the trunk, especially when it's hot? There can't be more ventilation in the trunk that under the passenger seat can there? Are there any complications with putting it under the front seats?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm putting my amps under the seats, there's enough room, and there's certinaly some airflow down there. I'm still not sure exactly what I'm going to do about the vents under the seats, for winter when I'm blowing hot air... The trunk won't give you as much airflow, but since hot air rises, you'll get plenty of cooling anyway. The only issues I can think of in the front seats is them getting wet/rusty if you live where it snows, and the issue w/ the heat ducts that dump out under the front seats. I haven't found what I'm doing with the vents, maybe just block them off, and I'm mounting the amps on MDF w/ Industrial Strength Velcro....which seems to stick pretty good to the carpet.
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.

In my car, I placed the amps underneat the seats. That way, if someone was to break into my trunk, the only car audio equipment that they can take is the subwoofer and box. In fact, last summer, someone did break into my car and all they did take was the subwoofer since the amps were installed underneath the driver, and passenger seats.

It depends on how efficient the amp is. You get better convection in a larger air space like the trunk. So for less efficient amps, they get hotter and would work better in the trunk. A friend of mine has an amp that is over 80% efficient, if I remember right. It doesn't even get warm even at .5 ohm (very low impedance FYI). Amazing. So, if you have an amp that runs hot and is cutting out at high levels, best place is the trunk. But if it works fine and you like it under a seat, go with that.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

But is it smart to put it on the backside of the backseat (behind the sub box? What if you have a large sub box and it sorta traps the air where the amp would be?

How about getting a couple of mini fans (like on a computer) and wiring them up over them?
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

I have mine under the driver's seat. People are less likely to sit behind the driver. Also, that seat stays in the same position, so the moving seat wouldn't catch wires or anything. Also, airflow is easily achieved if you put your HVAC on the position that flows air to the feet.
    www.awdpirates.net

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.