I finally love my car stereo (longish
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on I finally love my car stereo (longish within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; It's been quite a journey. Indulge my ego trip please as I tell you a tale of hopelessness, but eventually ...

I finally love my car stereo (longish

It's been quite a journey. Indulge my ego trip please as I tell you a tale of hopelessness, but eventually redemption.

I start with the stock system. What a piece. Terrible tinny sound, no depth, no power. The XM radio I have (skyfi) is wasted on this transistor radio sounding crap. My first upgrade - December 2002 - Subaru/Panasonic under seat subwoofer.

Little change, and I'm not happy.

So I get new speakers - Feb 2003 - Sony xplods in the front, kickers in the rear. I know, tell me they suck. They were on sale, people!

I'm a little happier, but not really. I get a new HU, a blaupunkt MP3000 - June 2003 - so I can directly wire in the SkyFi. Didn't work well. Tinny sound is a little deeper, but now I have interference from the alternator through the skyfi. I know it's odd, but it's true.

So finally, I say fu=K it, I drop some cash for an Alpine 9820 - Feb 2004 - which has XM built in and an infinity basslink. I have a knob that controls the boom in the trunk, a clean looking installation without the skyfi banging into my wife's knee and life is better.

So there you have it. It is possible not to have crappy sound in your Rex, but you have to drop about $500. Thank you and good night.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Haha, good lesson learned.

I almost bought a cheapo head-unit too, but I bit the bullet and got a 9811. Now I'm glad I made that decision!

I'm having BA FS60 components installed next week, so I'm hoping that will make it a good system for me (I'm not into music really).

Glad you're finally happy!

Sony Xplod.
    Well since you got them on sale, ok.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Originally posted by Th3Franz
    Sony Xplod.
    Well since you got them on sale, ok.
    Huge sale....or something like that. The next year's models were more red and xplosive.

I am so brutally honest. I should have said anything but sony.

Originally posted by dsel
    Huge sale....or something like that. The next year's models were more red and xplosive.

I am so brutally honest. I should have said anything but sony.
    Still probably better than stock at least. How do you like XM? Any issues with it? I'm starting to get sick of the local radio stations..
    - F r a n z

I posted a couple of things about it, but over all, it's really worth it. I had issues, like i said, hooking it up to the stock HU and the blaupunkt, but that's all behind me. I think alpine makes a tuner/controller for about $150 that should work seamlessly.

The Xm stations kick much ass. No ads, metal, rap, rock, etc etc. Best $10 a month I spend, besides the first two beers at ripoff DC bars.

Originally posted by dsel
    I posted a couple of things about it, but over all, it's really worth it. I had issues, like i said, hooking it up to the stock HU and the blaupunkt, but that's all behind me. I think alpine makes a tuner/controller for about $150 that should work seamlessly.

The Xm stations kick much ass. No ads, metal, rap, rock, etc etc. Best $10 a month I spend, besides the first two beers at ripoff DC bars.
    I have a Pioneer head unit from my previous car that will work with XM. I'll see how much money I have left after I buy my car and figure insurance and maintenance for the year..
    - F r a n z

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.