OEM Subwoofer
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on OEM Subwoofer within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Any of you guys have it? I want to keep the stock deck, but I'd like a little more bass. ...

OEM Subwoofer

Any of you guys have it? I want to keep the stock deck, but I'd like a little more bass. Does it hit very hard at all?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i wasnt impressed with it at all, to be honest. if you just want a little more low end, i'd recommend an Infinity Basslink... its a 10" sub mated to a 200 watt amp, and its all self enclosed in a box and ready to plug in. its not going to be anyting crazy, but it doesnt sound like that is what you are looking for. its pretty small as well, so mounting it in the trunk wont take up much of your cargo space. they can be found on ebay for less than $200 new, which is a great price compared to $350+ from normal retailers.
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Does it hook up to the factory harness or will I need to buy an amp kit and everything? I was looking at the OEM one because of the simple install and it just hooks up to the factory stereo. I've had nice systems before, but I don't want any of the hassle and I'm not looking for as much bass anymore, just something better than what's in there now.

I got the subaru underseat subwoofer about a year ago. It's worthless. I purcahsed the basslink on ebay for less than 175. It's such an amazing difference. Like a whole new system.

i think you'll have to buy some monster cables, and possibly some sort of adapter since the stock HU doesnt have any outputs, but other than that you shouldnt need anything. the amp is already all wired into the sub and its ready to go. someone who has actually done the install should be able to chime in with more details...
    o-|-<) bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Wrinkleboi
    someone who has actually done the install should be able to chime in with more details...
    o-|-<) bryan
    The install is really easy. You go to tweeter and pay the guy $45.

O.E.M is as shtty as they come...

I bought mine since I already had the "upgraded" speakers and I coulda bought one of those Wal-Mart Subs for $50 that would have sounded better!!

DONT do it.

SHotgun

I couldn't agree more - the OEM subwoofer was total crap. It just vibrated and made awful noises at any decent volume.

would that 10" infinity sub with 200 watts be good setup with my 03 wrx sedan? i don't have upgraded speakers, but i am also going to put in infinity kappa's and an alpine hu? or wouldn't the sub work the same as the oem sub and not have to change hu? btw, what gauge wiring for the 10" sub? thanks

Originally posted by GoFastHappy
    would that 10" infinity sub with 200 watts be good setup with my 03 wrx sedan? i don't have upgraded speakers, but i am also going to put in infinity kappa's and an alpine hu? or wouldn't the sub work the same as the oem sub and not have to change hu? btw, what gauge wiring for the 10" sub? thanks
    I have an alpine HU and upgraded speakers (though not as good as your kappas. Since it's self-powered, you don't have to do anything with the HU. It's giving off it's own juice. You will need a little space up front for the remote bass control. Important thing to have if you listen to lots of kinds of music and if you ever listen to sports/news as well as music.

The sound in the wagon is pretty booming. You won't rattle your neighbors' windows, but you will definitely rattle your own.

The basslink comes with wiring, but you'll need to upgrade cause it's not sufficient, IMO. I can't recall the gauge, but it was about $28 for monster cable.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.