Satellite Radio

This is a discussion on Satellite Radio within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Can a satellite radio receiver unit be added to the stock in-dash cd/radio? This may sound a bit ignorant. It ...

Satellite Radio

Can a satellite radio receiver unit be added to the stock in-dash cd/radio?

This may sound a bit ignorant. It is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you mean add to? or replace? You can replace it, but I dont think you can add to it. Ive seen small recievers that just receive satellite transmission but I dont know if you can connect that to your stock deck. I wouldnt recommend satellite just yet. Wait till the price on those go down, monthly subscriptions run around $15. Waste of money I think.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Fifteen a month is way too high. I agree.

XM Ready ?

Sony makes a HU that is the same size as ours (double DIN) that has XM receiver built in. The main sacrifice is that it is only a single disc CD player but it will control an outboard CD or MD changer. Keep in mind you also have to add an additional antenna for the Sat. The price for the service is $9.95/mo. in California. There is also a new Sat. service I think it is called SIRIUS ? so competition should bring the price lower. Expect to spend $200-300 U$D for any Sat. receiver.

Clavo.
    What's the square root of 69 ?.........8 something

IMO, I just can't see spending money to get a radio signal. I understand the benefit of the satellite system, but I just can't really bring myself to paying money for a radio signal...
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Re: Satellite Radio

Originally posted by russ
    Can a satellite radio receiver unit be added to the stock in-dash cd/radio?

This may sound a bit ignorant. It is.
    i'm not 100% sure, but last time i looked, an external XM radio went to a stereo's aux inputs. I remember a few years back there was this device that took whatever you wanted on the input side, and instead outputting it via wires, it would output @ 89.9 mhz, which is around the bottom of the FM band. Maybe this is how you do this install? Anyone know?

Thumbs up XM Radio

I have XM and it kicks ass!!! I am tired of a ton of commercials on the radio when I drive 1 hour to work everyday. I installed two different types to see the sound difference and there is a unit that will work with your stock radio. Pioneer makes a RF modulated unit that tunes into a radio station not used in your area, usually 89.1-89.9 or ther-abouts. I installed this one first and attached the tuner, a little box around the size of a zippo and a half, to the ashtray. I then opted for the dedicated unit as I wanted a better head unit so I took out the old one and put it in my girls car. The dedicated unit has better sound quality and works just the same.

XM radio: $10 a month
    RF modulated unit: $199.99 at Best Buy

Paying for radio is a lot like paying for TV. Yes there is more content, Yes the songs are NOT cut, yes the best station BY FAR is 150 XM COMEDY!!!

I use XM radio and absolutely love it. I don't know about the sound quality of FM modulated units. I have heard reports that direct-connect tuners sound better. That's what I have, and although it was expensive ($300 tuner, $100 antenna, plus capable head unit) it was fantastic on a recent road trip.

Last month I went from Denver to Vegas to L.A. and back and even with the mountains, tunnels and canyons, I was out of XM signal range for under 15 minutes each way.

I chose XM over Sirius mainly because I have a Pioneer head unit, but I believe it's the better service - fewer (if any) coverage restrictions, lower monthly fee. More of their channels have commercials, but it's really not bad. You NEVER listen to 5 minutes worth of commercials like some FM stations.

Quality is really good. It's best on the original programming channels - XM also rebroadcasts channels like KISS from L.A. but they're not as good; you can tell they're compressing the dynamic range for FM broadcast.