Need Help With Stereo!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need Help With Stereo! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I am really unhappy with the stock stereo and would like to upgrade but unfortunatly i know absolutly nothing abought ...

Need Help With Stereo!

I am really unhappy with the stock stereo and would like to upgrade but unfortunatly i know absolutly nothing abought car audio. I have tried to read as much as possible about and learn for myself but its still very confusing to me. I have about 2000 to spend and i want to keep my head unit because i like the 6 in-dash. Im looking for componet speaker in the front and am clueless about what amp and sub i should get or how many for that matter (two 12 prob) if any one can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated thancks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    You should get components in the front and rear.

One good 4 channel amp should be enough. It might be easier (on the install) if the amp included built-in cross-overs (versus trying to find a place to but the speaker's cross over units).

Re: Need Help With Stereo!

Originally posted by SIWRX2391
    I am really unhappy with the stock stereo and would like to upgrade but unfortunatly i know absolutly nothing abought car audio. I have tried to read as much as possible about and learn for myself but its still very confusing to me. I have about 2000 to spend and i want to keep my head unit because i like the 6 in-dash. Im looking for componet speaker in the front and am clueless about what amp and sub i should get or how many for that matter (two 12 prob) if any one can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated thancks.
    I have done a few stereo installations(and pulls). The biggest two changes you will notice in sound quality are the speakers, followed by the headunit. Having nice speakers but not a equally nice head unit is kind of like have that nice ferarri, but there's a lawnmower engine inside. Since the WRX stereo is a Double DIN size(means that i is basically as tall as two afermarket stereos), you can probably put an aftermarket headunit(Single DIN) and install an indash 6 cd changer(Single Din also). Hence, you would retain your 6in dash and still get better sound. Remember that for looks and ease of installation, use the same manufacturer.
    Your right on the money with component's for the front speakers. IF your not sure where to mount your tweeters, I would suggest any corner of the windshield(either on the dash, or the ceiling) would be ideal, dash is probably easier. Of course, you can also cut into your door panel and install the tweeters there. For the rear speaker, you can go all out and get components, but a full range speaker will do the job just fine. My suggestions for speakers rest w/ the Sony lineup along w/ Inifinity/Kappa. These speakers aren't competition grade, but they sure sound great. You'll also want a 4 channel amp for these speakers(two front, two rear). the amp will treat your components as one speaker.) Most factory head units dont' come w/ a pre-out(RCA style plugs) for plugging into amps, which means you'll need to get line converters to do that job. I highly suggest changing the head unit with your budget.

Picking out subs is a harder part. If you want to only feel music, then load it up w/ subs, but if you want the match of good bass w/ highs, I'd put my money on 1 12" JL Audio sub. JL makes really good subs, from their "crap" all the way to their competition grade subs. I currently run a 12W6. The nice thing about JL is that their subs can handle a lot of power w/out blowing and they sound awsome. Your sub can be mounted in two types of boxes.. the traditional one, or a bandpass. If you stick it inside of the bandpass,you will get more of a punch from the bass(someone w/ more physics knowledge please explain this to me). When you buy your amp for the sub, it will more than likely have a filter to filter out the high freq's. Make sure it goes as low as 20hz. I believe Rockford makes a 300(+/-50)Watt mono amp, which is designed to punch for one sub.

Re: Re: Need Help With Stereo!

Originally posted by Megavolt121
    If you stick it inside of the bandpass,you will get more of a punch from the bass(someone w/ more physics knowledge please explain this to me).
    From what I can remember (it's been awhile) a bandpass enclosure is "tuned" to allow only certain frequencies out ("passing" certain "bands"). Since the traditional box just lets it all out, so to speak, it'll sound "muddier" than the bandpass type box. Tuning the box is tricky, but I think I remember seeing some good info on them, so maybe you could build one yourself. Hope that helps....hope I'm right .
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Re: Re: Re: Need Help With Stereo!

Originally posted by WRXed

From what I can remember (it's been awhile) a bandpass enclosure is "tuned" to allow only certain frequencies out ("passing" certain "bands"). Since the traditional box just lets it all out, so to speak, it'll sound "muddier" than the bandpass type box. Tuning the box is tricky, but I think I remember seeing some good info on them, so maybe you could build one yourself. Hope that helps....hope I'm right .
    I thought the bandpass allowed the sound waves to reverb or something before leaving?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need Help With Stereo!

Originally posted by Megavolt121

I thought the bandpass allowed the sound waves to reverb or something before leaving?
    I'm pretty sure it's designed to eliminate some of the muddiness by causing some of the internal reflections to go out of phase, thus cancelling some "bands" (i.e. destructive interference). Again, it's been many, many years since I was really into sound systems, so I could be wrong. Just trying to jog the 'ole noodle!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Thanks alot for your replies I finally got the money and got mb quart components in the front and 2 jl audio 12 inch subs i kept the stock head unit for now and later ill change when i get the money.
    thancks again

Thanks alot for your replies I finally got the money and got mb quart components in the front and 2 jl audio 12 inch subs i kept the stock head unit for now and later ill change when i get the money.
    thancks again
    what kind of JL's did u get? and what type of box?

I see you've already made some purchases, I just wanted to add a couple comments on your original post and the followups.

I've been quite pleased with the possibilities of upgrading factory stereo components in the WRX. That's probably because I didn't like the possibilities at all in my old car (98 Integra GS-R).

As was mentioned, the double din opening allows you to use a separate 6 disc in dash changer so you don't have to lose that capability. I have a Pioneer Premier head unit and Pioneer CDX-PD6 in dash 6 disc changer - the combination works great. It yields 6+1 disc capacity (no cassette like the factory, but I never use cassette anyway).

There's even enough space in there for Pioneer's XM satellite tuner (vertically mounted behind the other two units) which adds another dimension to listening.

I also like the amount of space available under the seats - it ends up being a great utilitarian place for amps (unless you want a show quality setup and want to mount them in the back). My GS-R didn't have nearly as much space under the seats.

I definitely wanted components in the front, but I also wanted a fairly discreet setup. So the tweeters are mounted in the factory locations. Sounds pretty good to me, although I do wonder how they would've been at the edges of the dash. The closer to ear level the better I suppose.

As for the JL Audio driver recommendation, and your subsequent purchase, I'm sure you'll be happy. I only have a single JL 10" (but a good one, 10W6) in a sealed box and I am thrilled with it... two good 12" drivers from JL should really sound good.

Enjoy your system!

I have just finished replacing my stereo system, and I went with a company called planet audio for my componenet speakers. Not only do they sound AWESOME, but the fit was perfect. Some people have mentioned blockage of the window with the front and rear speakers, but these went in like a charm. Also, when amplfied, they will absolutly smoke.. Anyway, if you want, check them out at planetaudio.com Oh, also - i had a lot of trouble with trying to get an aftermarket amp to merge with the factory head unit - the line level converters didnt work, and I ended up replacing the head unit. The dash kit will help too, beccause it comes with a compartment to fill the space left underneath the new single DIN reciever. ON another note, a Greddy Profec B EBC fits perfectly in this space, and looks pretty cool too
    good luck,
    dcraw
    "Let me never be accused of standing between a Charlestonian and his drink" - J. Kuhn

JL Audio are GREAT subs. JL Audio actually charges stores to sell their merchandise! I have 2 10" 10W6s in a seal custom box with a Rockford Fosgate punch 800 bridged and pushing just over 1000 WATTS! It was made for a much bigger trunk but it still fits! Pulled it from my old Cutlass. But Damn does it sound nice! I turn the base on the stock head unit to -1 so the interior speakers are under much load so I can turn it up to 30 or so with almost no interference and a very clean sound considering its still all stock inside the vehicle!

(mega) I got the w3 jl subs and i am really happy with them. The only problem is get alot of radling noise and i saw a porduct called dynomat that claims it stops that and was wondering if anyone has ever tried it or herd it works.

(mega) I got the w3 jl subs and i am really happy with them. The only problem is get alot of radling noise and i saw a porduct called dynomat that claims it stops that and was wondering if anyone has ever tried it or herd it works.
    W3's are a good sub. Hell anythign JL makes is good.. even their bottom of the line stuff is better than som eof the other subs out on the market(my personal opinion). But back to your problem...
    check to see where the rattling is coming from. there are infitie possibiliies. My suggestions are as follow:
    1) Remove the sub from the car and run it. Sometimes the shop who put the sub in the box puts in a long wire, which rattles(my case.. i have yet to fix it).
    2) Once the sub checks fine, put it back in, remove the license plates and then run again. Lots of times you have license plate rattle, especially that stupid frame..
    3) If you still have rattle pull ou tthe box again and check the trunk walls for loose wires, connections, plastic panels etc.
    4) Possible point of rattle is the spare tire well too.... Lotta stuff in there you don't usually see.

If all else fails, then i'm not sure what it is. Dynomat is a dampening mat. think of it as a sheet of dense foam, liek the stuff underneath carpeting in the house. It does wonders in eliminating junk noise(you know road noise, rocks underneath). I wouldn't install this quite yet as it does weigh down the car. Besides, if you do install it, your adding a 1/4"-1/2" thick mat underneath carpeting etc. That'll make it hard to put your original carpeting back on.

get XM radio if you do get a new unit. It kicks ass!

Suggestions for head units?

Double DIN or a Single DIN and 6 CD In-Dash?

Anybody actually know any cool Double DINs???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.