XM built-in receiver

This is a discussion on XM built-in receiver within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; So I learned last month that alpine is making a receiver that has XM built right in without any additional ...

XM built-in receiver

So I learned last month that alpine is making a receiver that has XM built right in without any additional parts necessary.

Good news is it will solve all of the installation nightmares with my delphi skyfi.

Bad news is only crutchfield seems to have it for a list price of $349.

Here's the link..
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...A9820&g=178850

Anyone bought this yet, or know if any other manufacturers are going to make an XM built-in HU?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think most major companies are making HU's with XM built in now.

I really like my ski-fi for the versatility. I have a nice home stereo and like to switch the unit back and forth.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Originally posted by JRod
    I think most major companies are making HU's with XM built in now.

Sadly, alpine is the first and only right now. I have written emails to other manufacturers and have heard nothing yet.

Alpine hasn't even they haven't shipped yet, at least to anyone besides crutchfield, which is too expensive.

As for the "first" thing, check the press release on the XM web site

http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/scre...003_12_17.html

I also love my skyfi, but I have 3 huge problems.

1. I am sick of having to manuver around it.
    2. It never works right with my HU (a blaupunkt) where i have it plugged in via RCAs to the aux jack. The lever is low and I hear a high pitched buzzing sound when I accelerate, which is often.
    3. I was never all that happy with the blaupunkt, so I'm doing a major upgrade with an infinity basslink ( i have another post out there asking for install advice) and an built in XM HU.

Nice to see the tuner module finally getting integrated. I'd like to see a similar model with 4V preouts though. This one only has 2V... and no sub preout.

Here is another company that is selling this radio. They say they dont have any in stock right now, but you might want to keep an eye on this page for stock changes.

At $278, its worth a bookmark.

http://www.hookedontronics.com/sales...CDA-9820XM.htm

IT'S IN!

I got the 9820 installed yesterday at tweeter. I paid retail, but suffer to be a pioneer I guess. First one they ever installed there in Falls Church, or so the guy said.

Anyway, it went in with an infinity basslink and it sounds amazing compared to my old system, a blaupunkt mp3000 with the subaru under-seat subwoofer, front sony xplods and rear kickers.

Kept the speakers. no amp, cause i wanted to see how it would work without it.

EARLY REVIEWS
    complements-
    there's nothing cleaner than having everything built in to the 9820. looks so much better than the clunky skyfi, which I always struggled with, especially with passengers.

Never had an alpine before, and that MX ( i think) feature is really kick a$$.

The sound quality wit the basslink is top notch compared to what I'm used to. I listen to a lot of hard stuff, and it's perfect for that. Not a neighborhood shaker, but I'm too old for those shenanigans anyhow.

The antenna is tiny - half the size of the one that comes with the roadie. I don't really like to advertise any audio stuff, even with the face pulled out I'm not interested in advertising that I care enough to have XM.

complaints

Nothing beats having five lines of text on the skyfi. It's alot harder to surf XM through the 9820 compared to the alpine

doesn't play mp3s. I knew this coming in, but really, for $350, you think alpine could install the $4 chip that would make this possible.

The guy installed the basslink in the right rear corner of the trunk (I have a wagon) and it goes over the access to the spare, jack, etc. I have to get a phillips head and keep it in the car so I can take the sub out to get to the spare if necessary.
    Last edited by dsel; 03-02-2004 at 11:40 AM.

Originally posted by mciembro
    Nice to see the tuner module finally getting integrated. I'd like to see a similar model with 4V preouts though. This one only has 2V... and no sub preout.
    Actually ALL alpine decks this year have sub controll.