prefab bandpass boxs sound bad?

This is a discussion on prefab bandpass boxs sound bad? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; One of my friend's wants to sell this to me: Rockford Punch Z 12" Single-Voice Coil 8-Ohm Subwoofer with Polypropylene ...

prefab bandpass boxs sound bad?

One of my friend's wants to sell this to me:

Rockford Punch Z 12" Single-Voice Coil 8-Ohm Subwoofer with Polypropylene Cone :
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03081

Band pass box with plexi front window:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03082

Another friend told me:
    Don't expect very good sound quality with a prefab bandpass box like that though.
    it usually accentuates a certain frequency and makes it sound "boomy" If you are going for sound quality at all, you would be much better getting a sealed or ported box, or a properly designed bandpass design.
    the Basslink would sound quite a bit better IMO. But your friend's setup would most likely be louder.

Does anyone else know about prefab bandpass boxes?
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    even a well designed bandpass box isn't going to give you the best sound quality from a speaker and will usually accentuate a very narrow frequency of sound. As your friend pointed out, the speaker will sound boomy and will certainly be loud, but it won't sound as melodic as a sealed or even ported box. A bandpass box that isn't designed specifically for the speaker that is put in it will accentuate this even more and can produce strange results (although I'm sure if it weas being used it probably didn't come out too bad). If you want really loud bass, bandpass is the way to go, but you scarifice SQ.

EDIT: Even in the description of that box it says: "Bandpass design for a looser, boomier sound." That just about sums it up.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

this is no good. I'm not interested in loud, i just want to enjoy my music (SQ) and a sub will really help out the stock system. perhaps i should get a basslink...

Originally posted by MidKnight
    even a well designed bandpass box isn't going to give you the best sound quality from a speaker and will usually accentuate a very narrow frequency of sound. As your friend pointed out, the speaker will sound boomy and will certainly be loud, but it won't sound as melodic as a sealed or even ported box. A bandpass box that isn't designed specifically for the speaker that is put in it will accentuate this even more and can produce strange results (although I'm sure if it weas being used it probably didn't come out too bad). If you want really loud bass, bandpass is the way to go, but you scarifice SQ.

EDIT: Even in the description of that box it says: "Bandpass design for a looser, boomier sound." That just about sums it up.
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint

oh perhaps I can buy the woofer and build my own wood box? would that sound better?
    04 WRX Black no options!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by kit99bar
    oh perhaps I can buy the woofer and build my own wood box? would that sound better?
    You could do that. You can actually go to the submakers website and they will prob have the specs for an optimal box for that particular sub. If you don't want to do the work, just find out what the interior volume of the enclosure should eb and shop around for one. You should be able to find one that is about the right size. If you do this, I can make a suggestion: If you can find a cheapo box that is made out of particle board, you can coat the inside of the box with fiberglass resin and let it dry. This will reinforce the box and give you better sound quality while keeping the price down.....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

A Punch Z? How much is he gonna sell the stuff to you and what amp will you be using? I'd only buy a Punch Z if it was dirt cheap. Oh, and I have heard the Infinity Basslink and it will own a Punch Z, and it takes up less space.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

oh boy, is it that bad?

He's selling the sub, box, all cables and a 220 W 2 channel alpine amp for 125$. What do you think?

Originally posted by Th3Franz
    A Punch Z? How much is he gonna sell the stuff to you and what amp will you be using? I'd only buy a Punch Z if it was dirt cheap. Oh, and I have heard the Infinity Basslink and it will own a Punch Z, and it takes up less space.
    04 WRX Black no options!

Originally posted by kit99bar
    oh boy, is it that bad?

He's selling the sub, box, all cables and a 220 W 2 channel alpine amp for 125$. What do you think?
    Just get a Basslink. It'll be easier and you'll probably like it better.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!