Good MP3 head unit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Good MP3 head unit? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I'm looking for a good MP3 head unit for my Rex. I eventually want to get an in-car PC setup, ...

Question Good MP3 head unit?

I'm looking for a good MP3 head unit for my Rex. I eventually want to get an in-car PC setup, but in the meantime, I want to go with an MP3 player.

Who's got one, and what do you recommend?

[EDIT:] In my last car (a '99 Trans Am WS6), I had a Kenwood KDC-MP8017 and I liked it a lot... But it had a lot of issues with what kind of CD's it would/wouldn't read, you had to burn them in a specific format, etc.

I also want something that will fill the LARGE hole in the WRX's console well... Or at least look good...

Thanks,
    -Lee
    Last edited by Fixxxer; 02-04-2004 at 06:21 PM.
    -Lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i have the kenwood kdc-x569

i bought it on sale for 175 and its wonderful. it was refurbished from the outlet store and the first one had the display go out but they replaced it and ive had this one for 3 months. plays all the cds ive burned to it, including some mp3cds i made 4 years ago.

it has a score of features, from adjusting the Q of the three bands, to their levels, to having a non fading output that you can control from the headunit. also reads track titles, folder titles and file names if you want..and most importantly, the buttons can be changed to be either red, or green which matches the wrx interior green LEDs perfectly.

I used to use Kenwood in my last car, and I has some skipping problems. Now I am using Alpine 7893 and I am more than happy with it. Or you can try JVC, too. There are almost as goos as Alpine and cheaper.

I have a JVC SH-99, which reads mp3s, doesn't skip, and has an input on the front. I plug a 60 gig Zen into it, so I carry all my music on that instead of burning data CDs anymore. It just doesn't get any better.

Originally posted by wonderspark
    I have a JVC SH-99, which reads mp3s, doesn't skip, and has an input on the front. I plug a 60 gig Zen into it, so I carry all my music on that instead of burning data CDs anymore. It just doesn't get any better.
    Now THAT sounds cool! Thanks!
    -Lee

Originally posted by Fixxxer
    Now THAT sounds cool! Thanks!
    Too bad those bastards at JVC stopped making it or the followup model. I was SO happy with my 909 and assumed I'd be able to get one with my new Subie when I sold my old car... no such luck....

grrr.....

I Support ClubWRX
    I have an Alpine CDA-7894 I believe. It's a great unit and I never have a problem playing a CD that that isn't scratched. It has great sound quality. The only thing is that it has the V-Drive and requires that you wire the power straight to the battery.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Alpine has good MP3 'software' on their decks. Depends on your price range, I'm lookin at teh 9815 or 9813 right now. If you want that JVC deck, check online. Some places still have older models in stock and cheap.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

Angry

Originally posted by keystah
    Alpine has good MP3 'software' on their decks. Depends on your price range, I'm lookin at teh 9815 or 9813 right now. If you want that JVC deck, check online. Some places still have older models in stock and cheap.
    Good luck, if you find someplace that actually has it, PLEASE let me know. I really like jvc's interface.

highwaymp3.com has some decent info on mp3 HU's and the differences in interfaces and features...

I like alpine myself........sounds great and never had any problems with it. Just my $.02
    vendeta2k
    Accessport + COBB SF Intake = BEST MOD EVAR!!!!!

Okay, so yeah, an SH-99 would be hard to find. But JVC still makes good MP3 decks and they have rear aux in. You could route your hookup cable all stealthy through the dash and you could make it work.... just a thought. And they are all on sale through crutchfield now (with free mounting brackets and wiring harnesses).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails arsenal.jpg  

I really like my Pioneer DEH-P8400MP. You can get the special cable to plug into the back of the unit and then be able to hook up a portable MP3 player using a mini jack to RCA cable. I have not done it yet, but once I install it in my next car I'll do that with my iPOD. I also really like Eclipse's high-end head units if you have external amps.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I absolutely love my Alpine 9811. It sounds great, but it's not all that cheap. It runs around $300-$350. Matches well w/the WRX interior though..

I'm getting the 9815 in a couple of days. I like the dot matrix display as opposed to the led display in the 9811 and 9813. Not a whole bunch more difference though, and like $500 retail price.

I have the Clarion DXZ735MP and it's nice. It has rear aux input, plays mp3s, subwoofer output control on the face, rotary volume knob(I hate buttons for volume), and it can illuminate in different colors. My old cars dashlights were amber and the WRX is green so really no matter what car you've car, you can make it match.

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1232

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.