speakers??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on speakers?? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Has anybody upgraded their stock drivers with something else? Im looking into upgrading the current speakers with maybe Boston Acoustics ...

speakers??

Has anybody upgraded their stock drivers with something else?

Im looking into upgrading the current speakers with maybe Boston Acoustics (I had them before, and worked out great).. Maybe Infinity.
    I was just curious as to what people had out there and how it sounds now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Lots of people have. It depends on how picky you are. I don't have a WRX yet, but I'll probably be getting one in about a month. I'm already looking for aftermarket speakers since the stock speakers will not be enough for me. I already have 80% of the stuff needed for a good stereo. I pretty much just need good component speakers for when I get my car and some sound deadening. I'm trying to research and listen to different speakers for different prices.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Can you let us know what you find out?

I'm leaning towards these suckas right here:
    components JL Audio TR650-CSI $125:
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13368

Originally posted by Th3Franz
    Lots of people have. It depends on how picky you are. I don't have a WRX yet, but I'll probably be getting one in about a month. I'm already looking for aftermarket speakers since the stock speakers will not be enough for me. I already have 80% of the stuff needed for a good stereo. I pretty much just need good component speakers for when I get my car and some sound deadening. I'm trying to research and listen to different speakers for different prices.
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

I've been looking into these ...but too much money...

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_pr...&CategoryID=14

I bought a pair of BostonAcoustics about 4 years ago, they're still in the box, never been used. They're kinda like the equivalent of these right here, but older models :

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_pr...&CategoryID=14

I want to get some kick a$$ sound without having to go with sub enclosure, or a lot of hardware. Want to keep the car light.

A couple different sets that I'm look'n into for my suby........mb quart.....had them in my last car.....sound great and not overly pricey.......and also the alumapro....little more pricey but damn they sound nice.
    vendeta2k
    Accessport + COBB SF Intake = BEST MOD EVAR!!!!!

I like MBquart too. I used to be into polk audio too, but I dont think they're around anymore, are they?

I also read somewhere that Blaupunkt has a new sub out that is less than 4 inches thick but kicks pretty nice. Anybody heard of this or seen one?

I'm planning on spending $300 or more on good components. Lots of people like MB Quart, but people also say that they are too bright/harsh. I have not listened to MB Quart speakers enough yet, and I am considering the PCE 216 set. I'm also considering JL's high-end XR650 CSi or a Focal set. I listened to the JL's and I like those, but I still need to listen to MB Quart, Focal, and others for comparison. Also, it can help speakers sound much better when you use an external amp. I already have a 2nd amp I plan on using for to power component speakers. http://www.iaperformance.com has speaker fitment info and spacers for sale.
    - F r a n z

I want to stay away from bright/harsh. The BostonAcoustics I heard sounded very nice. You get clear sound, and a nice bass kick to it, ofcourse not the kind of bass that I'll shake a city block but, good enough for inside the car listening.
    the setup I have in mind, I'll probably end up running an amp for them, but Im trying not to go too crazy.

i am looking for door speaker now to but i have heard that you need to use a spacer for the speakers? and that you might not have to if you get a pair of boston? now do you need an spacer for all speakers or not .

Originally posted by scrapy2
    i am looking for door speaker now to but i have heard that you need to use a spacer for the speakers? and that you might not have to if you get a pair of boston? now do you need an spacer for all speakers or not .
    Chances are you'll need spacers. http://www.iaperformance.com has the info about how deep speakers can be without needing spacers.
    - F r a n z

Originally posted by scrapy2
    i guess that'll depend on what size speakers, and what type you get. If you go with bigger speakers than stock then I'd say defenitely. You also have to look at how deep the type of speaker you buy is. The driver might be bigger, the cone may be deeper.

weel i am looking at 6.5 just the stock size but i heard that about the depth but well what is evey one going with and do you need the spcer with thoes?

any aftermarket 6.5's are gonna be a close fit up front, many are too deep. The stock speakers are super thin. I went with JL audio XR 6.5's, and ended up doing custom doors to make em fit. I decided not to go through the hassle with the rear doors and just used a plasma cutter to fit a second pair in the back dash.

Depending on the speaker, a spacer may not even be enough.

I used the Polk/Momo 6.5" components - didn't really want the flash of the Momo design, but it is the only way to get the top of the line Polks now.

My experience:
    The tweeters really need to be mounted up on the trim inside the mirrors. Problem with this is the fabrication work (not that big of a deal) and the fact that you are now announcing that you have aftermarket speakers (wouldn't be that noticeable if the tweets were black but they are bright red). If you mount the tweets in the stock position, it is necessary to shave out the plastic opening in the door panels - tough to describe but the holes basically point forward and toward the floor and the plastic is quite thick. High frequencies are extrememly directional, so you want the least interference possible from the tweets to your ears. Taking a dremel tool and thinning out the plastic on the back of the tweeter openings helps a lot.

The mids just sucked to put in. First I had to use a nibbler to increase the size of the opening in the door steel by removing the lip (grind it smooth and then paint it or it will rust fast since it is outside the moisture barrier in the door). Then I made a spacer out of 3/4" oak plywood. Even with all this the window wouldn't roll all the way down because of a plastic gap ring inside the window glass. I had to grind it down flush with the inside of the window and attach it from the inside with a small flat head screw. Even that wasn't enough - I had to space back the window at the bottom with 2 washers. After checking the fit I made a new moisture barrier to cover the top of the speaker and installed it. I then took a dremel and ground off the plastic of the door panel on the inside in front of the speaker to prevent the driver from hitting the plastic during high excursions.

Now that it is done I'm extremely happy with the system, but as you can see it was a lot of work.

Blaupunkts top of the line OVERDRIVE series will fit without modification, both component and co-axials.
    I hate my WRX's stock horn....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast