speakers?? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on speakers?? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; im a stereo n00b so pardon this question: can you use upgraded quality speakers with the stock headunit? i REALLY ...

im a stereo n00b so pardon this question:

can you use upgraded quality speakers with the stock headunit?

i REALLY dont want to replace it since the whole thievery thing and the fact that its hard to find another sleeper looking headunit with an in dash cd changer (i hate going ot the trunk on my gf's VW)

so can i still use the stock headunit with the blaupunkts?

if i cant what else could i use that would be cheap but REALLY good.

i would like to spend around 500 maybe?
    Like drinking poison. Like eating glass.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Milin - You have a couple options.

1) Upgrade to coaxial speakers in the front doors. Coaxial speakers are like 2in1 or 3in1. This means the tweeter is built on top of the woofer. This will be the cheapest option. And they can be powered off the factory headunit and still sound better than factory.

2) Get a line-out convertor and add an amp to power some component speakers in the front doors. This will sound the best, but cost more.

Both options could be done for under $500. You could also add something like an Infinity Basslink too for good, complete sound, and probably still be under your $500 mark.
    www.awdpirates.net

I did a search, and this was the closest thing i found.

What sizes are the front and rear door speakers? Are they component speakers (I havnt even looked at them yet.)?

I am parting out my car and people want to know how big the stock speakers are. Thanks.
    All show and no go . . .
    Your car looks fast, but why's it so slo.

2002 WR blue WRX (RIP)
    2001 Imola Red BMW M Coupe (sold... )

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    You do not need to use a spacer. Check the thread I started, in which this was explained very clearly, describing the benefit of avoiding the spacer.

Speaker thread

Few lines will fit without modification, fewer that sound any good. Then again, you're comparing it to a stock system, which isn't hard to beat.

In regards to having to shave the tweeter cover, I have not come across such a problem ever. True, the factory mount for the tweeter had to be tossed, and some weather stripping applied, but never have I ever recommended, nor performed such malpractice of car audio installation. I can't even think of a tweeter that will not fit behind the factory panel. Please feel free to respond on this one, as even a tweeter that is 2" deep can be made to fit with elbow grease and the proper tool.

The blaupunkt sub that is mentioned, was actually tested at my shop. (The owner is well connected and used to rep Blaupunkt). It's a decent woofer, great midbass, and really shallow, but nothing worth getting excited over, or spending anywhere close to their asking price.

If weight is an issue, space will not be, as that would contradict your claim to staying light. Why would you need trunk space if you want to stay light?? Unless of course you carry balsa wood or something similar, but then, I'm not sure anyone ia able to help you.

Bottom line, if you want bass, buy one woofer, get a decent one, build a box out of Birch or lightweight MDF, and bolt it down. I'll be glad to fabricate one for anyone interested.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

The stock system is far from HQ.
    Keep it simple and it will work. Any decent head unit, a 4 way amp, component speakers in the front doors at the stock locations and a 10 sub at the trunk. Keep the stock back door speakers (disconected please).
    I like it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.