How does this car audio set up sound?

This is a discussion on How does this car audio set up sound? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; What I am looking for: good sound quality. I dont' want huge bass that will shake the cars around me. ...

How does this car audio set up sound?

What I am looking for: good sound quality. I dont' want huge bass that will shake the cars around me. I do listen to Rap, techno and hiphop so bass is somewhat important to me.

Let me know what you think!

Fronts: components JL Audio TR650-CSI $125:
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13368

back: stock

HeadUnit: head unit panasonic mp3 player: $140
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=13238

sub/amp:
    Infiniti basslink: $200
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11793
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd spend $40 more and get a better head unit. The other panasonic's are nice, and I'd also look at the Kenwoods. You can get a nice deck for under $200 if you look in the right places.

Also check out www.ikesound.com

Edit: I like this head unit for the price:
    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1608

Two preamp outputs. The rear can be selected to a non-fading sub output. More EQ choices, cd-text, multi-color display, etc etc.
    Last edited by Damon; 01-30-2004 at 12:03 AM.
    --Damon

'04 Black 1.8t GTI
    (O8o)===W===(o8O)

awesome thanks for the recommendation. The 2 preamp outputs can I send them both to the 4 channel basslink or do I need two amps to use that?

Originally posted by Damon
    I'd spend $40 more and get a better head unit. The other panasonic's are nice, and I'd also look at the Kenwoods. You can get a nice deck for under $200 if you look in the right places.

Also check out www.ikesound.com

Edit: I like this head unit for the price:
    http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1608

Two preamp outputs. The rear can be selected to a non-fading sub output. More EQ choices, cd-text, multi-color display, etc etc.
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint

Originally posted by kit99bar
    awesome thanks for the recommendation. The 2 preamp outputs can I send them both to the 4 channel basslink or do I need two amps to use that?
    The basslink has two kinds of inputs. One set is speaker level inputs (has speaker wire clips just like your Michael Jackson boom box ) the other set is line level inputs (like the kind of cables you use to hook your super nintendo up). You almost ALWAYS want to use the line level inputs. The sound is much cleaner. And, with a deck that has a "non-fading" or "subwoofer" preamp output, you can fade all your music to the front and the sub will still play on. It may seem like a simple thing, but I have a deck right now that doesn't have it and it's very annoying. I want most of my music in the front, but the sub is getting sound from the "rear."

Does this make sense? Did I confuse you more? Haha...
    --Damon

'04 Black 1.8t GTI
    (O8o)===W===(o8O)

Oh sweet. So with the non fading output I can put all the sound to my front speakers and not affect the sub's output at all. Nice, this might be very useful since I am keeping the stock rear speakers, if it sounds really bad, I can just set the output to go to only my fronts. thanks, I think i understand.

Originally posted by Damon
    The basslink has two kinds of inputs. One set is speaker level inputs (has speaker wire clips just like your Michael Jackson boom box ) the other set is line level inputs (like the kind of cables you use to hook your super nintendo up). You almost ALWAYS want to use the line level inputs. The sound is much cleaner. And, with a deck that has a "non-fading" or "subwoofer" preamp output, you can fade all your music to the front and the sub will still play on. It may seem like a simple thing, but I have a deck right now that doesn't have it and it's very annoying. I want most of my music in the front, but the sub is getting sound from the "rear."

Does this make sense? Did I confuse you more? Haha...
    04 WRX Black no options!

ok quick question: The basslink's amp cannot be used to power the front component speakers?
    04 WRX Black no options!

If it were me......I'd disconnect the rear speakers. Unless you have people back there a lot. The JL's will create good sound up front. If you leave the stock rears hooked up, the more you crank the volume...the fronts will handle it fine...the rears will start to crap out...I'd spend a few extra bucks and get a better head unit.....I've got a alpine mp3 deck and I am 100% happy with it.....kenwood also makes a decent deck.
    vendeta2k
    Accessport + COBB SF Intake = BEST MOD EVAR!!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by kit99bar
    ok quick question: The basslink's amp cannot be used to power the front component speakers?
    I have a basslink, and I've answered this question for you in PM. The basslink's amp is dedicated for use with its built-in 10" sub speaker. But since you don't seem to believe it, please look here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7U6I72Q...o&i=108BASSLIN

Look at the bottom of the page at inputs and controls. You will see the hookups for speaker-level and line-level inputs, for power (+12V, remote turn-on, GND), and for remote gain control. There is no hookup provided for you to tap into the output of the Basslink's 200W amp.

I guess you could tear open the unit and bastardize it somehow to power your front speakers, but I would recommend against it. For one thing, the amp is designed specifically to power the speaker and passive radiator of the Basslink. For another, you would have to somehow work around the crossover in the unit, which maxes out at 120Hz. You wouldn't want to power front speakers with frequencies below 120Hz.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Yeah, I'd get a slightly better head unit. The BassLink accepts RCA inputs right? I'd use those, then if you have a head unit that has preamp outputs. My head unit has 3 sets of preamp outputs, but you don't have to use all 3. For example, I just have one amp hooked up right now, but when I get my WRX I'll have 2 amps hooked up.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Th3Franz
    Yeah, I'd get a slightly better head unit. The BassLink accepts RCA inputs right?
    Basslink accepts both RCA (line-level) and speaker level inputs.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I would go with Alpine or JVC if I were to buy a mp3 headunit. I havnt listened to the JL's but go for Mb Quart of Focal if you can in comps. Of course this all depends on your budget.

Also, check out www.cbrstereo.com, it is a great site in terms of price. I think the price for the basslink is lower.

Wow basslink is not a bad way to go, not at all! It's too bad I didn't think about that before I ordered my amp. Oh well, I'll have bone-crushing bass with my more expensive, bigger setup.

Yah, the amp in the sub is just for the sub. Why would they give you extra power when most people wouldn't use it?
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???