"Bass Blockers" worth it?

View Poll Results: Bass Blockers worth it?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are an economical solution to your problem!

5 55.56%
  • Nope. Just tweak your EQ settings.

4 44.44%
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "Bass Blockers" worth it? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Ok... I am not willing to shell out the extra dough for a four channel amp for my door speakers. ...

Question "Bass Blockers" worth it?

Ok... I am not willing to shell out the extra dough for a four channel amp for my door speakers. I plan on getting a BassLink, so are bass blockers (glorified capacitors) worth the money? Or am I better off just EQ'ing the low end out of my speaker-level outputs? I don't want to lose alot of my mid-range. I listen to mostly rock and at low to moderate high levels. Thanks!
    --Damon

'04 Black 1.8t GTI
    (O8o)===W===(o8O)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They do the job, sans precision. If you have a head unit that allows you to send higher frequencies to the mids/tweeters and low freq's to the sub, you'll be a 1000x happier.

But like I said, they do the job, I had a Jeep with them in the door speakers in line with the positive lead. I believe they blocked 125hz and below. I let my two 12" subs do the rest. The amp I had to the subs had a sub-crossover. It sounded "ok".

It's just so much better to be able to centralize the control of frequency distribution to the head unit. If clean & precise sound across the full frequency range is what you desire, I recomment pioneer headunits. The level of detail/precision to which you can tune outputs is outstanding. Quite a headache to set up, but very satisfying once everything is said & done.

hope that helps.
    '04 BMW 325ci

But I still have plenty of love for Subaru.

Most of the head units I've seen that have the crossover frequencies are for the preamp outs, not the line outs. I'm talking about cutting the low bass out of the line levels, not pre amps.
    What pioneer units are you talking about? I'll go snoop around crutchfield. I've always been a Kenwood man myself.
    --Damon

'04 Black 1.8t GTI
    (O8o)===W===(o8O)

Some Kenwood decks have EQ settings, but I find the ones on my MP919 to be on the sucky side.

I know with Pioneer you usually have options for crossovers on your speakers. Yes, running on deck power. Kenwood too.
    Former car: 2002 Cobb/Scoobysport stage 2 WRX sedan
    New ride: ???

I've never been too impressed with passive crossovers, but it seems that all of the high end speaks I've purchased come with them anyway. Probably more for protection of the speaker/tweater than anything, but I always leave them on. I also had a Pheonix Gold 3 way splitter/passive crossover that I used to run a sub and 2 speakers off the rear channel and it did a decent job, but it was a lot more than just a capacitor.

They are cheap and effective. A 100 micro Farad cap on a 4 ohm speaker drops out 200 hz and below. It's a 6 dB per octave drop.

The head units with built in crossovers that we sell (Sony, Alpine, Pioneer) croos out pre-amp and high level outs. usually 125 hz and up.

A good fix I use when installing a system for a cheapskate (no offense) is to gain up the sub amp like crazy, and then turn down the bass on the headunit. It'll bring the subs down to a normal volume and keep the bass from stressing your door speakers so much.
    Move.

I put bass blockers in the door speakers in my Land Rover. I didn't have any quality issues with the infinity setup that came stock so I added my dual 12" bandpass box wtih infinity kappa's, a 1000farad cap, and a 680 watt sub and it sounded amazing!! Some cds I could turn the volume all the way up and the Mids were all crisp and clear now that they weren't trying to push bass...and you could hear all of it all the way accross the skatepark when I was skating like it was a PA system! I don't remember what the frequency cut was though...but I'm definitely installing them again when I setup the amp and sub cuase the door speakers rattle a bit already as it is.
    ('._-=SchmilK=-_.')
    i'M a FReaKy STReaKeR LiKe WiNNie THe Poo
    T-SHiRT, No PaNTS, aND i DaNCe THe BooGaLoo

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.