recommendations for 2 front speakers and head unit mp3 player

This is a discussion on recommendations for 2 front speakers and head unit mp3 player within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Ok I've done tons of reading and I think i'll be going infinity basslink for my amp and sub. I ...

recommendations for 2 front speakers and head unit mp3 player

Ok I've done tons of reading and I think i'll be going infinity basslink for my amp and sub. I don't need anything huge, just a little better for listening.

So what recommendations for front speakers and mp3 player headunit?

I want to spend around 500 and the basslink is already 190.
    i figure 300 can get a decent headunit and two 6.5 inch front speakers.

much thanks!
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I was going to reccomend you look at the Alpine 9807 (~220 at hookedontronics.com)...but that kinda've pushes your budget w/ speakers...I'd say look into that and then get the CDT Coax Slimlines from www.thezeb.com (~45 bucks) I don't know much about those speakers in particular, but CDT in general is quality stuff. Either that or look into a less expensive HU (Pioneer?) and go for some better speakers like a components set (Infinity Reference 150 @ sounddomain.com). Either way I'd get to a couple stores and try to listen to some different speakers....and if possible the speakers thru the HU you're considering. I think the most important thing is to take your time with it. I've been shopping around for 3 months and have been changing what I'm planning on doing daily...I'll start buying stuff once I'm finished spec'ing stuff out good luck.
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.

awesome man,
    what is your budget and will you be getting the basslink too?

I will head to the nearby ultimate electronics and listen to your recommendations.

let me know what you finally choose. Are you also just the stock rear speakers?
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

To be honest I had originally planned on using the Basslink for a while, but it came down to the fact that I could fit a sub box in the same space...so my budget increased... I actually started with a budget similar to yours...and the more I read, the bigger it got. Right now I'm planning on about 1500 or so. To be honest, for your price point, I think you're covering the most important things at least.

My setup is going to be the Alpine 9807 for a HU, Diamond Audio Hex series S600s components, with a US Acoustics 2100 amp giving 100 W to each side of those. I'm going to putting in the CDTs that I listed for the rear speakers (in 5.25") and powering those off the head unit. From what I've read the fronts are the most important if you want really good sound quality, putting crazy powerful speakres in the back or giving them a lot of power in general will take away from the sound staging of your front speakers...for 45 bucks, I think they'll be a worthwhile upgrade. For a sub I'm getting a custom sub enclosure from Evolution Auto, a guy that makes them to fit behind the driver's side wheel well of a wagon. If you search around on Nasioc you'll probably run across it. I'm going to load that with a JL Audio 10W6V2, powered by a US Acoustics 600D amp. In addition to that I'm going to be sound damping the doors and trunk area. At least thats what I'm planning right now...we'll see what i actually end up installing.

Something like this for speakers: http://www.millionbuy.com/inf6002.html

They have pretty good efficiency, which you will need for use if powered by the HU.

Also, look at the lower end Alpine line for HU (9807 or the new 9827) for about 240 online. Personally, I would look for a quality HU and skimp a bit on speakers for now, and if you feel the need, later you can upgrade the speakers and maybe go with a dedicated amp for the fronts.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Silva_Wagon
    (Infinity Reference 150 @ sounddomain.com). Either way I'd get to a couple stores and try to listen to some different speakers....
    Definitely try to have listen to the speakers before purchase. I went with a recommendation on my Infinity Reference components. They're quality speakers, but the tweeters are quite bright sounding. I'd probably go a different way if I had it to do over again.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

It is almost impossible to compare speakers in the dealer showroom, too. You really need to find somebody with a setup similar to what you are looking to purchase, and listen IN-CAR. Alternatively, find somebody's setup that you really like and duplicate it.

The tweeters will break in and be a little "less harsh" after a few hundred hours.

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by bcblues
    It is almost impossible to compare speakers in the dealer showroom, too. You really need to find somebody with a setup similar to what you are looking to purchase, and listen IN-CAR. Alternatively, find somebody's setup that you really like and duplicate it.

The tweeters will break in and be a little "less harsh" after a few hundred hours.
    Good advice on trying out speakers.
    BTW, my components have >600 hours of playtime. I'd say that they have gotten a tiny bit less harsh. They're great speakers; I'm just nitpicking!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Yeah, its pretty frustrating building an expensive system that you've never heard. I think you can compare systems in a showroom to some degree, ie you can hear the difference between a silk and aluminum tweeter....you can distinguish between a mid range coax set and high end separates. But yeah, if you're listening to two similar-priced speakers its tough to pick out the differences, and it'll sound totally different once its in your car...as has I hear pretty often, its all about the install.

Most stereo shops will have a really nice display panel constructed of MDF. If you look inside these panels, they have nice, little MFD boxes to control the volume that the speaker is working in. Many of these panels have different sized boxes to work with the specific T/S parameters of the different speakers. You cannot tell this by looking at the outside of the panel.

Some speakers thrive in an infinite baffle, others thrive in a small, sealed volume.

In-car installs also can vary tremendously. Some will use an MDF baffle install and confine the speaker to a sealed area in some manner. Others simply plop them into the existing cutouts and let er rip. If you happen to have a I/B loving speaker in a small, sealed volume, or conversely and small, sealed volume loving speaker in an I/B install, it will sound pretty crappy. And it is not necessarily the speaker's fault.

Just know what you are buying, and how you will be installing it, and you will be fine.

Good info, thanks. Is there a spec that relates to whether a speaker functions better with I/B or small sealed? I can't seem to find that specific info on any of the speakers I'm looking at. (DA S600s)