XM Radio Install Question

This is a discussion on XM Radio Install Question within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Ok, I've done the search. But Wanted to get a clear answer for my question. I see that there is ...

XM Radio Install Question

Ok, I've done the search. But Wanted to get a clear answer for my question. I see that there is no Aux in, on the stock head unit.

How is the sound Quality with the FM modulator?

If you have anything else that was a pain when you installed yours please let me know.

Thanks,

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have the Roady, but installed it via the included cassette adapter. Supposedly it provides better sound reception than the FM modulator. Overall the install was easy. Routing the antenna under the weather stripping, into the car took the longest amount of time.

Bill M.
    2003 World Rally Blue WRX Wagon
    AccessPort - Stage 1 93 Oct.
    Fuzion ZRi tires
    Hardwired Valentine One / Lidatek LE-30
    XM Roady
    50% Tint

I install at least two or three of these a day at work. The modulator works great I have never had a problem with them and I honestly think they sound pretty good
    Driving a FWD turbo is like masturbating. It is all fun until you realize that your just f***ing yourself.
    Get a real power AWD Turbo...

Roady

I installed the Roady. It's the best option IMO. It mounts nicely on the ashtray when its on the swivel base. Just slip the base under the top metal piece in the ashtray and push in the tray. It'll hold pretty well.

I use the tape adapter with the wires run behind the bezel. You can barely notice it. I have a Belken FM modulator also, it doesn't sound as good as the tape adapter but it'll do in a pinch. I got it for rental car trips.

I installed a 3-port 12v adapter behind the glove box so i can hide the Roady 6v adapter. It's tapped into the existing cig-lighter cable.
    Then drilled a hole thru the back-right corner of the ashtray.
    Then ran the power from behind the glovebox, the antenna from the trunk, and the tape adapter cable thru the hole.
    Bound it all together with the spiral-wrap stuff that came with the Roady.
    Wrapped the cables behind the ashtray with electric tape.
    Put a tie-wrap on the cable on either side of the ashtray hole to keep the cables inside the ashtray.
    Now the cables hide neatly inside the ashtray when i'm not using the roady. The roady, swivel base and all slide sideways out the the ashtray and get tossed into the glove box, er, my pocket.

Mounting it this way is the best solution for XM short of getting an XM-ready head unit.

I'll take some pics today and post 'em soon.

fyi, you'll have to remove the bezel, radio, and move the temperature controlls out of the way. you'll need the 12v spliiter, and some wire splices.

It sounds like a huge hassle but it's way worth it. no visible cables, no adapter hanging out of your lighter, you gain 3 hidden lighet ports. The roady angles perfectly for viewing, it's finger-tip distance from the shifter, not too close.
    -------=======>>>>>
    '03 Blue sedan.
    Pretty much it.

Thanks guys for your reply's. I have the Skyfi Unit. I want to have a clean install with no wires showing. I would like to see those pics of yours installed with the cassette adapter. How much room do you have behind the radio bezel to mess around with?

I looked on Xmfan.com and checked out some subaru install pics on their, and it looks like everybody with the skyfi unit mounts it on the upper righthand corner of the radio bezel. I was thinking about getting a xm ready head unit and fabing a plate with the cradle to go underneath the headunit. But I really dont want to give up the 6-disc.

Thanks again,

Bill M.

I just got a Skyfi for Christmas...The car kit and the FM modulator came with it. However, I'm thinking about just buying a new head unit that has an aux input to use it with. I've heard that the head unit sounds weak when you replace it with anything aftermarket.

I'd rather have an XM-ready head unit that also played MP3's.
    You don't need a changer if you have 700MB of MP3's.
    -------=======>>>>>
    '03 Blue sedan.
    Pretty much it.

JT-555

Pics please? That sounds awesome!

Originally posted by Mad WRX
    JT-555

Pics please? That sounds awesome!
    I took the pics the other night with my dad's camera, i'm waiting for him to email them to me.

should be up tonite.

in the mean time, check out this thread. it's where i got the idea. instead of keeping the 3-outlet adapter visible, i mounted it behind the glove box. there's a ton of room back there.

Scooby Mods - 12v Mod
    -------=======>>>>>
    '03 Blue sedan.
    Pretty much it.

Today I finally mounted the skyfi unit and it looks good. All I did was take the mount that comes with the Car adapter kit. Drilled 2 3/16" holes in it. Took off the cup holder that slides in and out of the dash and drilled two holes in that also. Bolted it on without using the adhesive backing. Doesnt vibrate or shake while driving. It does however block the cd Controls on top a little. But if you open the cup holder you can get back behind it with ease. I havent put the fm modulator in. It looks like you can run all the necessary wires up into the cup holder above the radio.

Does anybody have any ideas on how hot the fm modulator gets when its in use. The warning sticker on it says to keep it in a well vented place.

Thanks,
    Bill M.

I would really like to see pics of the SkyFi installs. I am considering this unit in the near future.
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

I will post up some pics in a few days. My digital Camera for some reason is not taking clear picture's.