What do you think of this head unit?

This is a discussion on What do you think of this head unit? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I was thinking about replacing the stock 6-disc unit with something that will fill the whole space. I don't like ...

What do you think of this head unit?

I was thinking about replacing the stock 6-disc unit with something that will fill the whole space. I don't like the little sunglass holder they fill in when you get a standard head unit, and i can't afford a 7" screen to fill the space so I was thinking of this. What do you think?

Click here

I was told that it would take up the space perfectly. I know that the price is high just because it is a double dinn (I think that is what you call it) but I do think it looks cool.
    '04 WRB premium package.
    Gutted Stock up, Godspeed dp, Cobb AccessPort (Stage 2), Omori Turbo Guage, Omori EGT Guage, Falken 512's

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok, this is my opinion on the head unit. for $500 bucks u can get a high end alpine head unit or eclipse unit. The double din is cool...but honestly, who uses tapes? I would suggest finding a single din unit and having the space under it empty or put something else in there. just my .02
    "The only real sports are bull fighting, mountain climbing, and auto racing; all the others are just games"-E. Hemmingway

This is what i'm getting: (someday)

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/KENDPXMP4030?ref=nxtg

2din size, Although not many people use a tape, I don't use all those ridiculous functions that a 1din unit does. I like simple functionality and something that looks OEM.

I can't stand the look of an aftermarket headunit with a cheap plastic hole below it, it looks horrid. my .02

Originally posted by Chunks
    This is what i'm getting: (someday)

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/KENDPXMP4030?ref=nxtg

2din size, Although not many people use a tape, I don't use all those ridiculous functions that a 1din unit does. I like simple functionality and something that looks OEM.

I can't stand the look of an aftermarket headunit with a cheap plastic hole below it, it looks horrid. my .02
    I totally agree, a stupid hole/sunglass holder is dumb. I was thinking of that one too, but I figured for 150 more, I might get better sound. I am not knowledgeable about stereo equipment so what do I know. Would a more expensive head unit from the same company mean better sound or just more features?
    '04 WRB premium package.
    Gutted Stock up, Godspeed dp, Cobb AccessPort (Stage 2), Omori Turbo Guage, Omori EGT Guage, Falken 512's

what other 2din units have you been looking at? That is really the only one I could find. The main feature I like about it though is that you can change the back light color, so I can match the rest of the car.

Pioneer has one, looks a little retro and is about 600, jve has one, that I didn't really like. Other than that, I don't think there are any others. Kenwood has like 3 models.
    '04 WRB premium package.

generally, double din units allow not only for CD and tape, but also a larger display that does more. Unfortunately, they do not always allow for better sound quality vs. a single din unit. One of the better double din units I have seen was Eclipse's. the monitor allowed for a nav input or other video source as well.

that is why I went ahead with my single din Kenwood 969...

Waiting for CES to see what is new and exciting...
    "Failure is only an option for those who try".

also most double din units dont seem to last to long. they also get very hot. sound quality is also an issue. id just look into a screen to fill in the area. doesnt have to be the most expensive one either. usually you can get a display screen for 500. get a cd player w/ aux output and put that where the 3gauge in dash pod would go...and get a dvd player of sume sort(ps2,xbox,etc).

just a thought

frederick
    Hks up/dp/ebc/ti exh; TeIN springs:
    kartboy ss; blitz bov; volk gt-c

...n we're just getting started

13.4@99mph

I just thought it would look cool having the area filled completely, it would look almost stock.
    '04 WRB premium package.

i dont really think those units look anywhere neaar stock. cool look...maybe..depends on ur taste..but still there is a lot better out there that are not double din. im sure you can find something else to put in the slot under the radio

frederick

13.4@99mph

I call on the DoubleDIN don't sound as good. They use the exact same sound processors as the expensive ones. The only difference you are going to get is the difference in wattage that the unit supplies and maybe a more customizable EQ.

I haven't ever seen a single DIN unit in a car that looked half-way decent. In the gauge pod looks good, but then you need a screen to fill up the 2din gap. I would look into this, but I need gauges, and I don't like a-pillar.

Originally posted by Chunks
    I call on the DoubleDIN don't sound as good. They use the exact same sound processors as the expensive ones. The only difference you are going to get is the difference in wattage that the unit supplies and maybe a more customizable EQ.

I haven't ever seen a single DIN unit in a car that looked half-way decent. In the gauge pod looks good, but then you need a screen to fill up the 2din gap. I would look into this, but I need gauges, and I don't like a-pillar.
    I'm agreeing totally, thats why I started looking for double din. I don't think there would be a sound issue at all. As far as looking stock, I mean it looks like it belongs, not like the single dinn with something filling up the extra space.
    '04 WRB premium package.

only thing i see that an after market and a stock unit have in common is 1. both are double din and 2. they play both cassette/cd. other then that ..i dont see many similarites...especially the ones suggested in this thread.

frederick

13.4@99mph