Does your head unit dim with your gauges?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Does your head unit dim with your gauges? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; If you've installed an aftermarket head unit in your WRX. Does it dim when you dim your gauges? If it ...

Angry Does your head unit dim with your gauges?

If you've installed an aftermarket head unit in your WRX. Does it dim when you dim your gauges?

If it does, how did you get this to happen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Usually there's a cable from your radio that is labled (dim) or dimmer, that gets connected to the circuit that goes along with the dimmer switch. Usually if the factory radio dims, there's a dimmer cable down there near it.

Couldn't tell you what cable that is in the WRX, I haven't taken mine apart yet. but I will

I have an Alpine 9815 head unit and it auto dims. Didn't have to do anything special. You can also set it to dim manually.

The 9815 doesn't auto dim unless you connect the wire labelled "Illumination" to the illumination wire on the harness. Look for a wire labelled "dim" or "Illumination."
    Never stop learning.

Unhappy

Hmmm... The odd things is that I actually DID hook the illumination wire from the head unit to the illumination wire in the WRX harness.... grumble grumble... probably some weird JVC incompatibility

I know in my Kenwood MP919 there is a setting to turn the dimming on and off. You could have hooked the illumination wire to the wrong wire in the harness.

Originally posted by edsmith42
    Hmmm... The odd things is that I actually DID hook the illumination wire from the head unit to the illumination wire in the WRX harness.... grumble grumble... probably some weird JVC incompatibility
    IF you did hook up the illumination, there might be something you have to do with your headunit's settings. The Alpine I have currently has a setting for "auto dim" or something like that. Once that is selected, the unit will dim when you turn on the lights.
    James

"Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way, if he doesn't like what you have to say, it'll be OK because you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes."

Heh... turns out that my HU just has two settings... Bright and Brighter.... no dim.... grrrr....

This has always annoyed me. I've only used Pioneer and Alpine head units, so maybe others work better, but I'd like to see an aftermarket unit that has full-range dimming to match the rest of the instrument dimming. Not just one level with lights off, and a lower level with lights on. It should be tied to the dash dimming control, just like the factory radio.

Originally posted by mciembro
    This has always annoyed me. I've only used Pioneer and Alpine head units, so maybe others work better, but I'd like to see an aftermarket unit that has full-range dimming to match the rest of the instrument dimming. Not just one level with lights off, and a lower level with lights on. It should be tied to the dash dimming control, just like the factory radio.

Yeah, it just seems so bizarre that on a head unit with ALL these other goofy options like loading pictures and crap like that to not be able to dim the freakin' light levels to where I want them... grrr....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.