Need some stereo upgrade Help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need some stereo upgrade Help within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I dont know what stereo Components are good now a days. My goal- Upgrade ALL factory speakers/tweaters Only Modify the ...

Need some stereo upgrade Help

I dont know what stereo Components are good now a days.

My goal-
    Upgrade ALL factory speakers/tweaters
    Only Modify the wiring (i dont want to cut any holes)
    I dont want to run an amp

Tell me what is good and how much everything should cost.

Thanks
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

cmon guys, help a stereo n00b out
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I'm certainly not an expert on this subject....but from what I know I'd say look into Infinity for decent components...there are others that are good, but thats currently my second choice, I'm looking to go with Boston Acoustics Rally series, but from what I've heard/been told you really need an amp to power them. www.sounddomain.com has the Infinity Reference components for 150 bucks for the 6 1/2" set..., and iaperformance.com has adapters to run standard size speakers in the panels, I'd say you could do Front/Rear speakers, adapters for around 300 bucks. Oh, you'll need speaker harnesses too, but its basically a connection from the factory plug to the new speakers, you can build it with speaker wire and some connectors...or some places might sell it...(not sure myself)

I started out just thinking of replacing speakers, etc. but decided it wouldn't be worth it unless I upgraded the Head Unit, and then came to the conclusion that if I was going to do speakers and Head Unit I might as well get good speakers, and if I was going to get good speakers, they need external power.
    4 tires...a motor...a couple doors I think...I'd have to check.

Check out this link: Crutchfield

They're not the cheapest place to buy from, but they have inexpensive shipping, great customer service and they include free wiring harnesses, instructions, and mounting hardware.

If you look around the site you will find an index of all late model cars. It will tell you your speaker sizes (Front and Rear) and mounting depth. When you look for speakers keep those two things in mind and you should be able to find a good set that will fit perfectly. Also, if you're not going to be driving the speakers with an amp you will want to pay attention to their sensitivity. Essentially, the higher the sensitivity in db the louder your speakers will play on the factory amplification. With the weak suby amp I would suggest you try for a sensitivity of 90db or better.

I've liked Polk, Infinity, MB Quart and Boston Acoustics in past cars. Try taking a look at those brands. Just about anything aftermarket will sound worlds better than the factory stuff.

Also a catalog is great for research, but it doesn't beat listening to the speakers. Once you have found some speakers that meet your specs go to a store and listen to them. At that point you can decide if you want to buy 'em at the store or order them from the catalog (I'd go catalog personally)

Registered User Dragon{WRX}mage's Avatar

Lightbulb

ok ive also got a speaker question. ive noticed that crutchfield doesn't list a speaker size or any speakers for the front doors. Just the back doors. So does any body know what will fit the front doors??? im getting an alpine head unit , just need to know what the size is for the front doors.

skvfx
    Buy JLAudio Everything. Done. Have Fun. Hope Your Rich.

Perfect- you guys answered my question perfectly.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

At 14???

a lot has to do with what amount of money you want to spend.
    for example
    I spent $160 on 4 alpine speakers
    I made MDF spacers to accomodate these speaker in the front.
    I put 4" er's in the rear doors.
    $270 on an Alpine Head Unit
    $200 on an Infinity Basslink

The HU has 4x60W of power = plenty for me, plenty to drive the speakers.

The basslink helps out a lot and has a 200W amp built in.

I got my speakers and Headunit for a decent (not the best) deal from Crutchfield and bought the basslink from E bay.

I would recoment Alpine as they seem to have good products which worked out well for me.

Most speakers that you put in the front, will require some kind of spacer, some people on this board sell the spacers, or you can make your own. Generally Subaru's doors are very limited in the depth of speaker they can accomodate, that's why you use a spacer, to get a better speaker in there.

hum......

read some other posts on this forum, they have a ton of info.

And I have pictures of speker install somewhere if you need.

- Lude

oh you will probably need a wiring kit as well, which will run you $20 -$30. I needed a direct 12V wire to my Alpine head unit, because it has a powerful amp built in.

Go to a car audio shop and listen to different speakers at different prices. Pick the speakers that sound the best to you. A lot of it is just subjective. Just about anything in the aftermarket will sound better than the stock speakers.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.