New Head Unit? New Speakers? Both?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Head Unit? New Speakers? Both? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; Hey guys, how's everyone doing. I'm a newbie who has a question that looks like you guys have argued over ...

New Head Unit? New Speakers? Both?

Hey guys, how's everyone doing. I'm a newbie who has a question that looks like you guys have argued over already and I missed the conclusion, so I will ask it again and I hope I don't aggravate anyone! I just picked up my '04 WRX, and it was equipped with the upgraded stereo w/subwoofer. My question is, What is the best route to take if I want to step up a notch in audio quality? There's really three options as I see it...

1.) Replace the factory head unit with an aftermarket model and keep the factory speakers.

2.) Replace the factory speakers and keep the factory head unit.

3.) Or just rip it all out and start from scratch.

I'm just looking for some opinions on how to bring the quality up a notch, it seems like the factory stereo system dies off real quick after volume level "10"... ? Thanks for all the help guys, clubwrx.net is addicting!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    How much money are you willing to spend?

Just go all out like I did and get new head unit, speakers, and a sub-woofer or two (along with amps).
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you get a new headunit, you're gonna realize that the stock speakers are garbage. If you get new speakers you're gonna realize the stock hu is garbage. Might as well get both in one shot and be done with it....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

speaking from personal fustration I upgraded the speakers (4 doors) to find the stock head unit did not have enough power to drive them clearly without amp induced distortion. Replaced the head unit witha 4x60W head and everything was fine.

Head Unit vs. Speakers

Hey Everyone, thanks for the responses! You guys are great! I'm willing to spend a fair amount of money ($1000?) as long as it's worth it in the end... I've been involved in this hobby for a few years now and know that even some aftermarket items are garbage. I figured you guys would say to replace both the speakers and the head unit... It only makes sense doesn't it. Also, with the double din opening, do you guys use a double din head unit or do you use a face plate kit to fit the standard din sized head unit? Thanks for all the tips guys!

Single din- get a cool Legacy pocket from your dealer to fill the other single din gap, looks tite.

Any pics of the single DIN/Legacy pocket combo?

-Pete

Amplifiers & Alternators...

Let's say I decide to install external amps for my interior speakers and and a subwoofer... can anyone tell me if the stock alternator can handle like 500W or so of power drawing from it? I believe the the stock output is 75A? Is there high output replacements? Thanks for all the help guys!

...If I come across photos of a single din head unit with the pocket under it I will post them...

legacy pocket

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails legacy_wrx_pocket.jpg  

Pocket Door

Ludecrous that looks really clean, I like it. Is it Yours? Is that just a door over the pocket, or is that another unit under it? Whatever it is it's nice, and I'll consider using a single din head unit now.

No unit under it, it's just a pocket with a door, see the bump, you just press under it and the flap springs open, upward. You can get this part from your dealer...if you speak to em nice they give you for free, since they just throw them out anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails legacy_wrx_pocket3.jpg  

Pocket Door

Thats Cool! I'll have to go down to my salesman and talk nice to him for a little bit He's another car enthusiast though so I won't be suprised if he hooks me up. I like your install though, It came out nice. Can I ask what speakers you used?

I did not have a lot of money, so I got a good deal on Alpine speakers and used them, replaced all 4. Made some spacers for the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails speaker019.jpg  

Speaker Install

That looks like it came out pretty well... you did clean work I see that when we install front speakers we have to make/buy these spacers... This doesn't push the speaker out too far and cause it to hit the door panel? Are those 5 1/4 or 6 1/2? Thanks Ludecrous!

...I'll never rank on Alpine equipment, I've never heard any substantial bad information about their stuff, so even if they were "cheap", I'm sure that system sounds tight!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast