New Head Unit? New Speakers? Both? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Head Unit? New Speakers? Both? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; basically if the speaker is too deep, you have to make a spacer to stop the speaker magnet from hitting ...

basically if the speaker is too deep, you have to make a spacer to stop the speaker magnet from hitting the window glass when the window is rolled down. If you get speakers which are shallow enough then you don't need to make / buy a spacer. Most of the better speakers will require a spacer because they have a bigger magnet for better response. I had to make my spacers because I could not find any suitable to buy. They were pretty easy to make, just a little time intensive for me, because I make everything perfect. The foam you see in the picture are speaker waterboots, to stop mosiure getting in the speaker... there are a few bucks and I would recommend using them. I put 6.5" in the front and 4.5" in the back, these are the stock sizes for my wagon. The spacer was 0.5" thick MDF. After a while of upgrading the speakers and head unit I decided to add an Infinity Basslink to add some extra bass in the wagon, worked out pretty well, whole system came to less than $600

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

doesn't push the speaker out too far and cause it to hit the door panel?
    no, 0.5" spacer is o.k. lot's of room on the inside, grill.

doesn't push the speaker out too far and cause it to hit the door panel?
    no, 0.5" spacer is o.k. lot's of room on the inside, grill.

Stereo Mods

Awesome Ludecrous! you've been extemely helpful! Now it's my turn to do some speaker swaps! Thanks for all the help and advice!

I was contemplating this question very recently myself. I happened to make friends with a professional audio guy that is also a suby driver. I started asking him for his thoughts and he said that he tried everything with his an ultimately had to replace the head unit. This advice is concurrent with one of the posts above. Replacing just the speakers doesn't seem to do the trick, nor does an am for our car. If you wanna do both thats certainly possible but head unit > speakers for first move.

Para

Ludecrous do you have any pics of the door open? I just want to see what it looks like inside.

Yeah you should be able to get a pretty nice system for $1000. Get a pretty good head unit with some nice features and good power per channel. High volt pre-outs and a large number of pre-outs are a plus if you plan to add amps later. My head unit has 3 pre-outs at 4 V each, which is pretty good.

Depending on what speakers you get, you could even get a two or four channel amplifier to hook them up to so they sound even better.

I'd recommend getting a new head unit for starters. That's what I did and I stayed with that for about a week before I got new speakers. Adding a new head unit is probably the easier first car stereo mod in my opinion..

Good luck with whatever you go with.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

answer to earlier question

I have about 1800W in my '03 WRX (still not finished, but playing), and my lights DO dim, but that's only at loud volume. If budget allows, add a stiffening cap, it should help. BTW, invest in some sound deading it will help with the little rattles and also cuts down on some of the road noise.
    "Failure is only an option for those who try".

FFWRX - I will take a pic tonight for you...wiv door open.

image 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_3144.jpg  

image 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_3146.jpg  

image 3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_3145.jpg  

Legacy Pocket

That's nice, I like it a lot. A friend of mine with an '04 wrx wagon just bought an Alpine 9807 head unit and we're going to try and pick up the legacy pocket this weekend. If we're able to pick up the pocket I'll let you guys know how the install went. Im looking forward to it!

image 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_3147.jpg  

If you have the upgraded speaker system for the '04 Rex, you do not need to get new speakers. They sound great with amplification -- truly. Do everything else first, then check it. Amplification is absolutely needed, if you like to play at higher volumes.
    Adding 2 amps and a 12" sub (10" is probably fine for many, though I prefer 12") and the difference is vast. Even with original head unit. The Subaru sub may or may not be a problem -- it wasn't with my setup, but it can overpower if not done right.
    I've added an Alpine head unit to have a little cleaner sound, more flexibility and to pull in radio stations a bit better...plus I plan to get Alpine's hard-drive unit once they got it squared away -- but original h.u. wasn't bad (after adding amps and sub.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.