stock stereo buzz
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on stock stereo buzz within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; My right front lower speaker buzzes at certain bassy frequencies. I took it to the dealer and they gave me ...

stock stereo buzz

My right front lower speaker buzzes at certain bassy frequencies. I took it to the dealer and they gave me the run around. Its under warrantee so they obviously just want to brush me off till its not any more and then make me pay. Then they told me that they checked other subarus on the lot and they do it too which I know they didnt check.

Finally when i went to pick it up the guy said "those doors are hallow maybe thats why it is making a noise." I didnt even bother to ask him why the other one wouldnt be doing it too. I was so frustrated.

Anyways any thoughts on how to fix this?? Its not very noticeable unless you are a music afficionado like I am.
    GregC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bismark,

My right rear speaker recently started vibrating at certain frequencies.

I fully expect my dealer to fix it under warranty.

-Jim

Angry buuuuzz

mine makes the buzz too, and for a while I thought it was me, because all my other passengers were like "dude, we don't hear anything". The other day an audiophile from the office got a lift home and he was like, "eew, whats up with the buzz".

Moral of the story, if it sounds wrong to you, the owner, the person who drives that particular car more than anyone else, including dealer techs, then it is wrong.
    clutch, shift, gas, clutch, shift, gas, shift, clutch, gas, clutch gas, shift... oops!

My right front speaker buzzes also at certain frequencies and I just got my WRX 4 weeks ago. It's really annoying. Does anybody know if it's the speaker or if the door panel is just loose?
    I am just wondering if it'd be worth it to take time off of work to take it into the dealer since I am planning on replacing the speakers anyway.

Thanks

Originally posted by Kira
    My right front speaker buzzes also at certain frequencies and I just got my WRX 4 weeks ago. It's really annoying. Does anybody know if it's the speaker or if the door panel is just loose?
    I am just wondering if it'd be worth it to take time off of work to take it into the dealer since I am planning on replacing the speakers anyway.

Thanks
    Mine is doing the same thing, dealer could not duplicate. Go Figure. Pulled the door panel off myself and did an inspection to the best of my ability. Did not find anything, still not sure if it's the door or the speaker. Time to spend a few $$$ and new speakers anyway and hope it fixes it.
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

Me Too

I have the factory upgrade package and I think all four of my speakers start buzzing and fluttering due to bass, even with classical music, the probelm is not as bad at higher volume, but that is simply cause the treble blocks it out a bit, I hope my dealer does not give me the run around, as I would like new speakers, but I do not think that will help if this is is common problem.....oh well...maybe I will splurge for some MB Quarts

me 2

Ever since I installed the subwoofer/amp package, my right front speaker area vibrates during loud or bass-y music.

I took the passenger door apart to see what was vibrating. Alas, I found nothing. I thought maybe even taking the door apart might help, but it didn't. It doesn't vibrate when someone is sitting in the passenger seat, though, so maybe the vibrations are coming from the door sill or somewhere near there...

Either way, I'm with you guys - very annoying. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is just "one of those things". A quirk about the WRX. But if someone finds a solution, please let me know.

RGE

Re: me 2

Originally posted by rge_wrx
    Ever since I installed the subwoofer/amp package, my right front speaker area vibrates during loud or bass-y music.

I took the passenger door apart to see what was vibrating. Alas, I found nothing. I thought maybe even taking the door apart might help, but it didn't. It doesn't vibrate when someone is sitting in the passenger seat, though, so maybe the vibrations are coming from the door sill or somewhere near there...

Either way, I'm with you guys - very annoying. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is just "one of those things". A quirk about the WRX. But if someone finds a solution, please let me know.

RGE
    Is the seat vibrating ?
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

My passenger side front speaker (RHD car) buzzes even when the stereo is OFF

It is picking up some electrical interference from the engine. The dealer has replace the head unit, speakers and antenna to no avail.

Ah well, I cant hear it with the stereo on and/or the fan. So can't be bothered anymore. But having said that, I do think I can hear a high pitched (yet faint) buzzing when cruising that dissappears when the foot comes off the throttle. It seems to be coming from the speaker but again, cant be bothered

MichaelWRX
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

Response to WRXRumble's question

To my knowledge, no, the seat is not vibrating. When someone sits in it, however, the vibrating (which appears to come from the lower right speaker/dash/door area) mysteriously stops. It could be something as simple as the person dampens the sound, or it could be that by sitting in the seat, they somehow put pressure (either directly or indirectly) against what is vibrating.

Who knows?

RGE

Originally posted by michaelwrx
    My passenger side front speaker (RHD car) buzzes even when the stereo is OFF

It is picking up some electrical interference from the engine. The dealer has replace the head unit, speakers and antenna to no avail.

Ah well, I cant hear it with the stereo on and/or the fan. So can't be bothered anymore. But having said that, I do think I can hear a high pitched (yet faint) buzzing when cruising that dissappears when the foot comes off the throttle. It seems to be coming from the speaker but again, cant be bothered

MichaelWRX
    Sounds like a bad ground to head unit. The dealer can replace the head unit as many times as they want but it would fix the problem. Run a second ground off the ground head unit led to a metal interior piece and see it that helps.

I concur. A constant buzz suggests a power problem. Try an extra or a better ground, as suggested.

RGE

I finally got rid of that annoying buzzing! I changed out the stock radio and replaced it with a Panasonic MP3/CD player and the buzzing is gone. I guess it was just that crappy stock HU that was causing it. At least this is what worked for me.

Hope this helps
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Mods: Kartboy shifter,Mobil 1 syn. AEM Short RAM, AEM Underdrive Pulley, Scorpion Axle-back exhaust.

Originally posted by Z28Dan

Sounds like a bad ground to head unit. The dealer can replace the head unit as many times as they want but it would fix the problem. Run a second ground off the ground head unit led to a metal interior piece and see it that helps.
    Cool I will try that. I currently have the facia and stereo out for another reason so will hook up some wires on the weekend.

Cheers
    Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

I opened the door panel and it sounds fine with the speaker out. It seems at some frequencies to find part of the door to rattle.

Everyone really helped though.

I think I hear another rattle that is the seat or something in that area.

Anyone had any luck eliminating this problem by dynomatting the doors? I think that is what I am going to do at the end of the summer.
    Bismark

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.