Zapix's WRX : Stereo and HVAC Blue LED bulbs!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Zapix's WRX : Stereo and HVAC Blue LED bulbs! within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; OK, I talked a big game about doing this for a while, and kept saying I'll do it eventually. Well ...

Zapix's WRX : Stereo and HVAC Blue LED bulbs!

OK, I talked a big game about doing this for a while, and kept saying I'll do it eventually. Well a couple of weeks ago, I finally did. I finished this... What, 2 weeks ago? Anyway, here are 2 pictures. Came out rather poor, but should give you all the idea. I'll try and take a few others in time. Hard to get a good pic since I don't have a digital camera to really get the best I can get (IMO, regular cameras suck! even Nikons!)

Top part was taken durning the day. Doesn't really show it that well, but the blue does slightly show when it's light outside.

Botton was taken at night. Came out rather blurry, and no, I wasn't moving around. Supid Nikon.

How much does it cost?
    If you go to radio shack, and don't mess up any bulbs, it'll be a $45 project if you already have a solder gun.

If anyone has any questions, go ahead and ask.

Also might be willing to do this for people locally for $55 parts, $55 labor.

All in all... This took about 12 hours of work.

How do I like it?

I love it, and I'm glad I did it! It just looks much better over all, and at night, it matches my reverse indiglo gauges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails led.jpg  
    PS3/360 ID: Zapix

MIA Western Mass Impreza Club / MIA Connecticut Impreza Club

My 2002 WRB WRX

2003 Northeast Subaru Impreza Club Regional Meet

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OMG I friggin' love it Please please please post a tutorial. I very badly want to do this.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Who was it that kinda did this before and kinda made a tutorial? I forget...
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I like the gauges!!!!! I wonder how it would look on a 2004 with the red arrows... Where do you live? Any chance of a tutorial?

Originally posted by Th3Franz
    Was it you? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

i have the file with the tutorial in it but i dont remember the link. if you want it i can e-mail it to you its only 332k unzipped.
    2002 Platinum Silver WRX

Are you gonna do the odometer as well? Looks kind of weird - not easy being green under those circumstances.

Or is the odometer locked away for all time

Hey guys

The tutorial I used was written by CaptainMorgan. You can get it on www.scoobymods.com

There are some things in it though that are not completely clear, and some things left out. If you all like, I can write up a tutorial tonight on it, based on my experience with it. Also would be able to include and clear up some information that was vague in what I used.

Masive, I live in Connecticut. I'm trying to figure out exactly how I would do this for people if they don't live locally. the pricing I mentioned previously, plus whatever shipping costs... Like... What? $10 at most for priority mail with insurance. Mainly for people who would feel insecure with soldering in tiny spaces on their stereo circuit board.

As for the odometer, I plan on doing that as well. I'm more or less waiting to get my hands on some way to do the needles in red. Just need to figure out how I'll do that. I can buy needles, or try and find a way to bleach the stock ones and install red LEDs, or use red bulb condoms. Probably go with LEDs though.

Anyway, let me know. I can have a tutorial up by the end of tonight.

~ Dan

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261298&highlight=radio+ leds
    here is the "nabisco" link it is a very long thread. This looks very hard. I would love to do this but I dont know anything about electronics.
    l Mods l

Originally posted by FFWRX
    This looks very hard. I would love to do this but I dont know anything about electronics.
    Not hard, but you need sharp hand-eye coordination, and lots of patience.

oh and... I knew nothing about soldering or electronics either.

That NASIOC thread is really too long to go through the entire thing. That is where I heard about it to begin with. Most of it is a PITA to sort through.

in the end...

You need 9 LEDs for the stereo and HVAC. 7 stereo, 2 HVAC.
    Resistors, a razor or exacto knife, screw drivers, solder, desolder braid, and some other things.

Keep in mind... This project won't take a few hours....
    MORE LIKE MORNING THROUGH THE NIGHT!

Most scary part? Cutting into the board!

Wish I could buy my way out of it....

With all of the crazy and useless stuff we have here in SoCal, I wish there was a shop that did this...I love my car, but I have this weird aversion to green....and I'm definitely NOT electronically/mechanically inclined.

Any, FWIW, great looking piece of work! I look incredible. Make sure to post up how you handle the whole odometer thing...

BTW -- is there is distilled version of how to change the dash gauges to blue somewhere? I did the search and got the monster thread over on nasioc, but I was hoping for a simpler one....

Well, you can use bulb condoms, but you won't get nearly the same quality you would with LEDs. I've heard problems with changing brightness not working that well, color isn't that great, etc etc.

The bulbs that are in there are not LED, and won't last forever unlike LEDs which from what I've read if you use them correctly, which will last forever. The stock bulbs in there are also somewhat orange-yellow.

I had a strange effect I tried out with a stock bulb with the condom removed... One LED and one stock for the LCD display... Ended up with a rainbow of color. Pretty cool, but umm... NO FRIGGIN RAINBOWS IN MY CAR! Maybe some of you out there would like it though.

For a cheap price you can get your hands on bulb condoms and just change the stock green ones to whatever. I've seen pictures of it on the NASIOC thread, and the claim is that it comes out more teal than blue. Where as if you wanted red, you can do that no problem. Then again, note the first paragraph... I've heard at full bright it comes out pink, and much lower it's hard to read.

Oh, and do note everyone... For the gauges, those are reverse indiglo I had installed. I'm considering the idea of putting LEDs in the gauges as well, but like the reverse indiglo guages too much to change em. I've read the process is the same thing though. Just need to know how many bulbs you need to change. I'll eventually get around to the odometer which I find annoying.

Sorry for the excessive posts, just trying to be as detailed as possible for you guys since this is a 'ATTENTION TO DETAIL' kind of project!

Originally posted by Th3Franz
    ryland in orange-red !

-tp

note: condom not led on that 04
    Last edited by Teep; 09-27-2003 at 09:29 PM.
    The 202 Wagon
    Bugeye Mafia "Silent But Deadly Ass-sasin"
    "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!"

Zapix -- any chance on that abbreviated tutorial? I was hoping this mod would be a simple bulbs-to-LED swap, but I guess not , so I'm trying to figure out how to fumble through it without having the soldering iro poke a hole through my dash.

I tried to follow the thread to figure it out, but got confused...how about posting a simplified tutorial to clear up whatever you found confusing and I'll struggle w/the rest?
    Last edited by Joe_Newbie; 10-01-2003 at 03:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast